Sign in to follow this  
jdripley

BR: Dwarves vs. Reven

I can't say I had my best game here. At game's end neither of us could say who had the advantage. Most of the game I fumbled with an over-abundance of initiative in an army that favors going second. It seemed to me like I had more troops but he had more models. I constantly felt unable to advance without exposing a flank. I miss-managed a whole troop and Qwyk dropped it with archery before I got a chance to engage, which was very bad on my part. I had lots of burrow, perhaps too much burrow, so I was surfacing models before it was best in order to shore up my line.

All that said... it WAS very close when we called it because we ran out of time.

First picture: Entitled "what you do not want to see on the other side of the table:

IMG_0550.jpg

I'd never faced a hill giant before. Plenty of other big nasty models, but never this one in particular. We decided it'd be fun to have his Hill Giant go mano-a-mano against my Stone Spirit, so they dueled in the center without any aid or distraction until my Spirit fell. The Giant's DV proved to be the significant factor - he could only do 2 damage a turn to me, but I averaged less than that to him each turn. The Stone Spirit's low DV, due to it having damage reduction, made it a sure thing that both hits landed. Still, the impromptu duel kept the Hill Giant off of my dwarves for a few turns, and I did manage to bang it up a bit.

Ok, so a battle report.. here goes. My list:

Thorgram, 4 Warriors, 3 Halberdiers, 2 Piercers

Logrim, Ivar, 4 Warriors, 3 Halberdiers, 1 Piercer

Abjorn, Gilam, 4 Miners

Gargram, 3 Swiftaxes

Stone Spirit

Earth Elemental

Earth Elemental

Annasha Tomebreaker

His list:

Varaug and a pile of bull orcs of various flavors

Narg and a pile of bull orcs of various flavors

A troop of regular orcs with Lunk and an Ogre or some sort

4 Goblin Cav

Hill Giant

Here it is after deployment and Ranger:

IMG_0552.jpg

We begin by closing the distance. I deployed nearly my entire army before he deployed, and Qwyk did a good job of setting up to his own advantage. In the first turn of the game I pretty much screwed myself by staying too far spread out, judging his likely moves poorly, and once more I'll blame my lack of experience with having the initiative advantage on my opponent. I'm so much more comfortable when I get to react to him. Dwarves really don't need to try to get the fight going on their own terms, so I'm just no good at being able to and I muffed it up. Here's a picture of turn 2ish:

IMG_0554.jpg

On my far left flank you can see Gargram all by his lonesome. Yep, I totally let him mow the Swiftaxes down with his archers. I've got the Miner troop surfaced already (the ones in gray). I was afraid Lunk would Exhume half of the troop and murder them, so I brought them up prematurely to deploy a defensive line. I had Gilam cast a Fireball which helped some, but it wasn't that spectacular.

Check out Thorgram's troop towards the center, just behind the Stone Spirit - look especially at the wonky angle they're faced at! What in the world?? This is exactly what I was talking about with having initiative and not gauging Qwyk's future moves well at all. I advanced them to counter Narg's troop even though Varaug was the greater threat. And behind that building beyond that area I have Logrim's troop all tucked away. They're there to face the goblin cav. Lamesauce! Thorgram and Logrim lead the two main battle troops in my army. My mistakes were deploying both of them on one flank, not having any support troops to cover their flank (which left all of that power in Logrim's troop to stand still and protect my side/rear from the goblins, instead of, say, engaging orcs). So that was a really big tactical error - group of tactical errors. I feel I could have done so much more except for those errors. Hopefully I learn from it, and perhaps you can too.

IMG_0555.jpg

Here we are a bit later. We're very much stuck in, and alot of bodies have dropped. I don't have too much to say here except that the quality of Dwarven models really saved my bacon. Quality stats offensively and defensively helped my soldiers to stay in the fight even though I had maneuvered them to a disadvantage against the Reven. On the left flank (from the Dwarf perspective) I'm at a disadvantage, although I have managed to neuter Narg's troop. But all of those orcs are going to roll my Miners under. I've got an Elemental there which will give him trouble, but not TOO much trouble considering their numbers, and the presence of an Ogre.

In the center the titans are still mauling each other, and Varaug and Thorgram are going toe to toe in an epic duel. That was a great fight. On the right, the goblins have succeeded in keeping Logrim's troop spread out and mostly ineffective - though I did manage to get a few of them to mix it up with some of Varaug's Bulls and they fought well.

Not long after that picture was taken the Stone Spirit crumbled and the Hill Giant was loosed upon my ranks. I had Thorgram dueling with Varaug, but most of Thorgram's troop was capable of responding. Dwarves only have average discipline so I didn't manage to get every one of them in b2b with the Hill Giant, but I have to say that I pulled off quite the coup on it. On one side of the Hill giant was a pair of Halberdiers (which the giant had based). On the other side was a single Warrior backed by a pair of Halberdiers. Since the Giant was damaged already, I was able to force a tough roll. The awesome thing here is that the Warrior managed to hit, which triggered the Provoke SA. That warrior bought the farm in a hurry, but it kept the Giant from cleaning off the halberdiers as well! Completely awesome! Anyways the Giant made its tough roll which was a huge bummer.

And here I've got a picture of the epic duel between Varaug and Thorgram:

IMG_0557.jpg

Both are on their last DT and I believe at this point they've both made 2 Tough Checks! These guys are serious hurt packed into a medium base. Varaug's huge damage output is just incredible Thorgram dishes out 4 damage himself, but 6-9 damage is just completely brutal coming from Varaug.

Finally the game was called based on time and here's how the battlefield looked:

IMG_0558.jpg

Who was winning? I don't know. He still had Varaug and the Hill Giant. I still had Thorgram and Logrim at full health, plus Ivar with plenty of spells left. Our feeling as we packed up was that it was anybody's game and that it probably would have come down to initiative order and who got to hit what when. Who do you think won?

:)

Good to see that the Hill Giant's paint has held up over the years!

Sure is a beauty! Well, as beautiful as a big hairy brute can be :P I like your work on the skin - very good stuff.

Unfortunately I think the paint helped it roll high, because man did it beat the snot out of my stone spirit!

Thanks!

Yeah, I remember really enjoying painting that one. Would like to do up another one one of these days! I've learned alot since I painted that one.

And of course he did, JD! Everyone knows that painted minis make you roll better. ;)

1,500 is going to be the sweet spot for Warlord. You can get all kinds of fun stuff into 1,500.

Me and most of the other players around reaper don't like playing anything but 1000 point games. That is where the game is balanced and we like that you cant take everything. You have to choose which units you want and use a good strategy to win.

-Sin

1,500 is going to be the sweet spot for Warlord. You can get all kinds of fun stuff into 1,500.

Me and most of the other players around reaper don't like playing anything but 1000 point games. That is where the game is balanced and we like that you cant take everything. You have to choose which units you want and use a good strategy to win.

-Sin

QFT!

Huzzah!! Pics with a battle report are really the only way to go. I'll have to match that with CAV, and one day Warlord.

Kings to all for posting these. Keep'em coming.

-Sin

I tend to favor 1,000 because it's a little smaller and more manageable. Less models overall, less rolling, you can bang out a good game in an hour, perhaps less if both players are familiar with all the models involved. 1,500 is that many more models to manage. I'm not sure I'd say that 1,500 is less balanced, or that you need less of a good strategy.. both players have the extra 500 points, after all.

I think one thing I could have done better in constructing my army would have been to keep a solid 1,000 point list as the core and then add 500 points of archers, haha! That would sure put a dent into the enemy ranks before the axes started to swing.

-Sin

The new edition is only out less than 2 months ago and already you and your group feel that 1000 points is the most balanced? Are you still referring to Warlord 1.0? Even at 1500 points, you still cannot take everything but your army will look more "balanced" rather than simply a skirmish squad. For years, I feel that people do not want to play a higher level game because they don't want to paint. The battle report above is great. On the other hand, when you look at the number of unpainted or unfinished figures, it is SAD. May as well go for pre-painted minis and use them as proxy instead. Comparing to how many minis you have to paint for a WH or 40K tournament, this is pathetic.

Most players who like to field a 1500 point army because they like to include a monster or two rather than having all different types of troops. This will be the case if Reaper insisted in having all minis painted rather than having the current liberal proxy rule. I am not convinced that 1500 pt will change the composition that much.

Finally, I am more a painter than a gamer. If I have a fully painted and flocked 2000 point army, I surely like to field all of them at the same time.

This is just my opinion.

Wow. Read this report at work and the pics are well worth the wait. Looks like a great match no matter the points cost!! Pitty you didn't get to finish.

Go team Reven!!!

-Sin

The new edition is only out less than 2 months ago and already you and your group feel that 1000 points is the most balanced? Are you still referring to Warlord 1.0? Even at 1500 points, you still cannot take everything but your army will look more "balanced" rather than simply a skirmish squad. For years, I feel that people do not want to play a higher level game because they don't want to paint. The battle report above is great. On the other hand, when you look at the number of unpainted or unfinished figures, it is SAD. May as well go for pre-painted minis and use them as proxy instead. Comparing to how many minis you have to paint for a WH or 40K tournament, this is pathetic.

Most players who like to field a 1500 point army because they like to include a monster or two rather than having all different types of troops. This will be the case if Reaper insisted in having all minis painted rather than having the current liberal proxy rule. I am not convinced that 1500 pt will change the composition that much.

Finally, I am more a painter than a gamer. If I have a fully painted and flocked 2000 point army, I surely like to field all of them at the same time.

This is just my opinion.

Although the game has only been out for 2 months we have been play testing for a long time. The game was designed to play at 1000 points, it is supposed to be a skirmish based game. It wasn't made so you would have everything. I don't mean its balanced in the sence that you get to take everything, its balanced in the sence that everything was costed assuming that it would be used in a 1000 point game(like on average a fire ball will hit X amount of modes so its costed this way and a fire storm will hit Y amount of models on average so its costed that way. When you raise the points thoese spells can hit a lot more units and other spells that hit a set number are not as strong. This is just one example of how it can be unbalanced. I am not referring to warlord 1.0, i didn't like 1.0 due to balance issues and never really played it. We have no problem playing with unpainted armies so that has nothing to do with it. At 1000 points we have no problems fielding a few troops and a couple monsters, even at 1000 you can make a min troop lists and get up to 7 solos in it.

So if you looking for the "sweet spot" for warlord play at 1000 points as suggested in the rule book.

-Sin

Who do you think won?

Since those are my two faction. I call it a draw.

@ Sin

I don't understand the logic behind your example. You could have 1000 points on the board or 100,000 points, if a caster has the points to throw 3 fireballs with a 3" AOE. They can do just that throw 3 at 3. You can only hit what in the little circle no matter what size the game is. A chain lightning has the same capabilities no matter the game size. All spells are limited in there AOE or models affected, its a constant that never changes. So there effects would not increase with game size, maybe target options change but that doesn't matter, they would still have targets at 1000 and are limited to their effect either way. You say the game was calculated at 1000 points. A 1000 points can be 10 models or a hundred, explain how that is calculated?

Its not really a skirmish game its a company based game. A skirmish game would be like Mordheim where you had a single band.

Kelly, that Hill Giant has survived several wars. I've even had to repair that arm and club on 2 occasions. One from a fall and another from moving unkindness. Your Angel and Gerard's have held up much better. I need to get some more models together before I can really play with them.

Now, ss far as playing with unpainted/partially painted/etc.

Tough.

I'll play with a salt shaker and a bunch of dice if I have to.

It's a miniature game. Not a must be fully painted to play game. Last I checked there were no rules on having to field an aesthetically pleasing army.

If you don't like playing against nekkid pewter or partially painted pewter, you can find another game. Painting isn't a priority. I'd love to have the chance to sit and paint up my entire army. Getting the time to even find a chance to play is a rarity. I am going to use what I can.

What's sad is the fact that you have to disparage people playing because it doesn't meet your paint standards.