Sign in to follow this  
fieldarchy

Dryad and some more stuff

Well I saw there is another copy of this dryad on here today! ::): Seems everyone likes to do her in green. My first rendition of her was in green. I decided to do something different this time around.

--------------------------------------------------------------------

Here are some photos of things I've been working on lately. Unfortunately I haven't had much time to do display pieces as the ones that are selling are gaming pieces.

Here is another version of the Reaper Warlord Elven Dryad. I wanted to do a little more with freehand and make her really stand out from her surroundings. I was going for an almost glowing pale skin and am happy with the way it turned out. You can vote here

*something is not right about the photos at CMON. I adjusted it to fit the CMON requirements for submission but it is still being distorted from what I can see anyway. *

Dryad view 1

Dryad view 2

Dryad view 3

Dryad view 4

Here is one I did for Freebooter. My first mini for Werner. He specified the colors and simple paint scheme. This is a new release some time this month at a convention. Vote Here!

Imperial_Guy_043_404b0.jpg

Imperial_Guy_046_d35fc.jpg

Imperial_Guy_054_91d21.jpg

Imperial_Guy_055_4eab8.jpg

And then here is a quick 1 hour paint job of a halfling thief. A ridiculously simple mini. The thief and the dryad will be listed for auction starting this evening.

dryad_076_93745.jpg

Hey, it's really cool that you paint for Freebooter as well!! I haven't seen this miniature before, not even at the convention I was on yesterday (and Werner showed us quite a few new releases other than this one). I hope I can see it IRL in November when we go to Antwerp. By then I think I can show you the new release that I painted for Freebooter (I think it has to remain secret for now so I can't show it now :rolleyes:

And I like the dryad like this too, it's so tempting to paint her green. But you already did that :B):

Yeah I had asked Werner about when it was being released but never got a solid answer. I knew he was going to be at two conventions this month or that's what he said anyway so . . .

I like the Dryad -- I did her in autumn tones. How'd you do the leaves?

Which leaves? I have two types on this base.

The ones stuck to the tree are etched brass leaves. If you don't have etched brass get some. I love the stuff! And it will last you a long time. The other leaves are actually seed pods or something that when they open they fall of trees and look like tiny leaves. I have no idea where to get them as a kind soul donated some film tubes full of these leafy bits.

Thank you guys for the compliments! I really appreciate it. ::):

The natural leaves are from Birch tree seed pods. If you are lucky enough to live in their natural distribution area, you can literally just take a walk and pick them up off the ground. If you don't, Skullcrafts sells them natural and in a number of colors to suit just about any basing need.

~v

great job on the minis as always! :wub:

I love the freebooter mini and i love the colors that u used this time on the dryad.

The freehand is beautiful!

Very nice all around.

I like your texture effects on the Freebooter guy. I think his boots should get another level or two of highlights, since they don't read as "leather" (even old/dulled leather) unless the contrast is higher; the highest highlight on the leather belt pouch seems right.

The freehand on the dryad is very crisp and I like the unexpected color choices. The freehand, though, looks like it isn't part of her skin: too dark where it goes over areas of skin highlights. I guess it depends on whether you want the freehand to appear integral with the skin or separate from it, but I would have glazed over the freehand with that skin highlight (the way I would for a tattoo).

Thanks for sharing,

Derek

Great stuff. The Dryad is awesome, love the hair color and the freehand is great. The base is really nice as well! I like the blood stains on the Klockian feller.

Thanks for the feedback Derek. Things I will definitely keep in mind. I've not done much freehand on skin and I was afraid to glaze it after I had gotten it just the way I liked it.

Thanks for the feedback Derek. Things I will definitely keep in mind. I've not done much freehand on skin and I was afraid to glaze it after I had gotten it just the way I liked it.

Yeah, it's always a little scary to take that risk of painting/glazing over freehand! But then you do it and it looks better. (Or even if it doesn't, you just repaint and try again.) ::P:

Derek