Swine Flu

yani

Yani, Just out of curiosity, how do you know it's H1N1 and not just the flu?

It's what the doc told me. They're not bothering with testing for it anymore, since it's very widespread here, so I'm happy to write myself up as a celebrity statistic for an overblown disease.

I dunno, I always saw it as another strain of the flu that just happened to be a bit more effective on the more healthy age group. But, the media always needs something to bark up.

I did find it disturbing that NY tried to mandate that certain people get the shot against their wishes.

Ha, you know what really really gets me? To apply for permanent residency here, I had to prove that I was getting the Gardasil shots (the cervical cancer vaccine) because it was mandatory. And yet, for a vaccine that has HUGE implications for much of the female (and potentially male; they haven't finished clinical studies yet) population, the government isn't making it on the list of mandatory vaccinations for schoolgirls.

Why? Because it might encourage the girls to be promiscuous. :rolleyes: Seriously?!? Since when does the threat of cervical cancer (or herpes) stop a girl from doing the deed?

Edit: for those concerned, fever just broke, so I'm much better :D Thank you to the well wishers

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Big tobacco, the gun lobby, pharmaceuticals; all the same. It's all capitalism, but does profit mean that everything is by nature corrupt, and even when things are helpful, why shouldn't the company that has invested billions into research and development make a dolla?

It's not the profit or the capitalism that's corrupt. It's the inherent bureaucracy that our governments have set up to in which you have to have a lobbyist to profit.

If you think that the pharmaceuticals companies are making ridiculous profits, you should buy stock. (They sell that, you know, to anyone who wants to spend money.) Their fundamentals look kind of horrible to me right now, though, which sucks, because I like disease treatments.

Actually from what I've seen their profits are relatively low as they have a huge amount of capital they must invest in getting the next product, hence, the long wait on the generics, the company must profit to move on and up.

I've heard the price on developing and testing a new drug, going through the FDA, can cost hundreds of millions of dollars.

The current healthcare system is really a mess. I don't have the answer to it all, but it ain't pretty right now.

Two words: Tort Reform

Medical Malpractice Insurance costs up to 20% of your medical bill according to the medical workers in my circle.

A friend of mine, an Anesthesiologist, needs a minimum million dollar coverage a year. No joke. This expense is of course passed on to the patients.

But of course you'll never see those in DC (Many which made their millions off of Malpractice Suits) ever suggesting this.

Edit: Notice this is not the only thing we should do to Health Care, but it would be a huge step in the right direction.

Get the vaccine, don't get the vaccine. It honestly makes no difference to me. I do, however, see it as a personal choice.

Since my wife, my son, and I are all asthmatic to varying degrees, I have perhaps more interest in this matter than most. I don't have any problem with you risking your own life; when you start seriously risking my life and the lives of my family, I start to care deeply.

Frankly, I wouldn't have any problem if kids whose families kept them from being vaccinated were assigned to special non-vaccination schools. If you want to avoid vaccination, great. Avoid me and my family, too.

But if you and your family are vaccinated, why on earth would you care to isolate those who are not?

In MA, you have to have Measles, Mumps, Rubella (MMR); Polio; Diptheria, Pertussis, Tetanus (DPT), and now Varicella (Chickenpox) vaccinations for school. I don't remember if the Hepatitis vaccine was mandatory, but the kids are getting it as well.

We were hoping to get Erin exposed for a natural immunity, but by the time she was old enough, Matthew was joining our family and it wasn't safe for him to be potentially exposed. I still don't understand the need for chicken pox since it's a nuisance disease, and it's MUCH MUCH better to get it as a child when the chance of it becoming shingles is so unlikely. Now we have a vaccination for a really minor nuisance illness that is not long term, and kids in later high school and college are coming down with it. I'm glad for my case of chicken pox. Oh no, I got 3 little scars on my forehead :blink:

Having had shingles, I can tell you that it's nasty enough that I would really prefer to have had the vaccine. (Not available when I was a kid.) I was lucky though, in that for me the outbreak was over one hip on my back, so it wasn't unbearably painful. My wife's outbreak was on her face, though fortunately it didn't enter her eye. She still has nerve damage that causes both pain and numbness.

The problem is, the chicken pox vaccine is not a lifetime vaccine. You can get the vaccine as a child and still get chicken pox or worse, shingles, as an adult. We were talking with our pediatrician about it when our daughter was getting ready to go to pre-school. It's something that may need a booster as an adult. But how many people are going to a) do it, b) bother asking if that vaccine was long term.

every day there is talk of death in news paper and televisions because of swine flu. it is very scary, i have two small kids and my husband goes out for work.he works in a air conditioned office, there people have caught cold,now i am afraid if it is swine flu. what if he gets swine flu and spread at home also. how do we no that he is suffering from swine flu? some body tell me what are the symptoms of swine flu.

Why don't you look on a health forum or ask your doctor? This isn't the right place to get medical details.

Ishil

I feel miserable, but thankfully I left work before the symptoms started getting really bad.

Anyone else have the pleasure of experiencing this particularly celebrity disease?

I had it about a month ago. I work at a hospital and got it from one of my lovely patients who rolled into the er with wearing the mandatory mask required if any flu symptoms are apparent. It wasn't as bad as everyone made it out to be, and I was a little worried too because I have really bad asthma. I just took my tamiflu, stayed in bed, watched movies, and took cough syrup before bed. It was over in a week.