It's Just An Old Fashioned Grudge Match

Well, Greenie and I decided to throw down in that most ancient of grudge matches: Dwarves vs Reven. Since we are planning on coming down to ArtistCon for that Saturday only, and since we had said we would play with 1,000 point armies when we arrived, we were playing with 1,000 points armies tonight. ^_^

Wild Bill's Army List

Logrim Battlefury

3 Berserkers

4 Mancatchers

Musician

Earth Elemental

Tohil Steadyhand

4 Piercers

Musician

Dire Bear

Abjorn Hofkeg

Gilam, Rune Spelunker

6 Miners

Musician

Griffon

Luck Stone

Totals: 1,000 Points, 24 Models, 6 Troops, 6 Init Cards, 1 Spy, 0 Tacticians

As usual, I will let Greenie talk about what his army list was. ::):

Random Thoughts

1) Gilam is totally awesome!! :wub: I had him in the middle of the Miner troop and they were burrowing their way across the table. Greenie was kind enough to tightly pack his two big melee troops to attempt to pull off this nasty Incite combo he had working when Gilam activated, popped to the surface, went "boogity boogity" and cast a Fireball!! I manage to kill Gonda and wound/burn a Berserker!! :lol: Then he burrowed and marched forward 3 inches!! Woo hoo!!! Then he managed to do it again on the next turn!! :lol: Alas, he missed his spell on turn 4. Booooooo!!!! :grr::lol:

2) Greenie's army unfortunately didn't hit its stride until turn 4. Going into that turn, it looked like I was going to schelack him something good. I think I had only lost like 3 models at that point, while I had killed a ton. By the end of turn 4, I had been worried that I was actually going to lose the game because the init cards went his way that turn and he killed a lot of models! I got lucky on defensive strikes to take a bunch out with me.

3) Poor Greenie had horrible luck with the dice tonight. :down: That didn't help matters either.

4) My solos kicked major portions of butt tonight. Well, against Skeeters and singled-out Berserkers. :devil:

5) Despite what Greenie might say, I didn't cheat when I "accidentally" removed an init card for his Harpy troop. It was just an "accident". Geez!! :rolleyes::lol:

6) We played through all 5 turns. The game took a lot longer than we would have liked, but we were at the LGS instead of at one of our homes, so we were constantly distracted by other patrons. Ah well. That's the price you pay for being a member of The Tulsa Crew. :devil:

At the end of the game, I had 1 Beserker left with one wound, 1 Mancatcher (who was also the Musician!!) with one wound, an unhurt Gilam with 2 SPs remaining, Tohil with one wound and 2 unhurt Piercers. I had managed to wipe Greenie out after that battle. It was a good time, and of course, once again, I completely forgot to use half of my Faction Doctrine. :down: I'm sure what I need to do to make sure I use that stupid thing, but it is like every battle I forget about it. :grr:

Anyways, we had a good time as always!! ::):

Wild Bill :blues:

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Man...I was all set to do a double burst of speed on my two berzerker troops and what does the little midget with a book three times as big as he is do? Frickin fireball...hitting 9 models!!! At caster power 3 no less (I dispelled for 3)....When that happened all I could say was "bleep" and try and pull it out of my behind. Nearly did....IF I could have made more than a single tough check....IF I could have remembered all those Discipline checks he SHOULD have been taking from Varug's WA....Still a great game.

And...as a side note, we DID play like the DFW boys and had 2 hills for terrain. Thats it....I think I started to hyperventilate. You should have seen Wild Bill...

My list:

Varaug w/ Bonesplitter

Gaaguk

Bull Orc Berzerker x 4

Narg Bloodtusk w/ Magic Weapon

Bull Orc Berzerker x4

Lunk

Harpy x3

Fire Keg

Goblin Skeeters x4

Goblin Skeeters x4

Greka, Shaman

Albatros Amulet

1000pts. 6 troops, tac and spy.

Also, there was a nice little spy battle that didn't work at ALL..(for the good guys - me)

And the Griffon roaring.....at a bunch of fearless models..... :B):

Great game had.

And...as a side note, we DID play like the DFW boys and had 2 hills for terrain. Thats it....I think I started to hyperventilate. You should have seen Wild Bill...

Yeah, I totally forgot about that! We were preparing for the games we will play next weekend, since you all only use two pieces of terrain and stuff. :rolleyes:::P::lol:

And the Griffon roaring.....at a bunch of fearless models..... :B):

Actually, it was the Dire Bear, and I thought we agreed we wouldn't talk about it! ::P::lol:

Aye, when you face us across the barren plains of North Texas (as represented by our battlefield terrain choices) you shall find nowhere to hide but in your own shallow graves! Muahahaha.

Seriously though, we'll up the terrain a wee bit so you fellers can have somewhere to hide and cower. :poke:

I am definitely looking forward to finally meeting you all and getting a chance to get roflstomped by soemone other than the usual crew. :ph34r:

Joshua

Just a quick note to clarify what sounds like a minor item missed..

PG 37.

"Burrowed models may surface at the end of a move, charge, or run action, including for attacks using the rush or swift attacks for no additional movement."

The focus being that it takes a move action to pop up, and then a cast action to cast the spells..

I was reading where you popped up, cast, and then burrowed again.. which would not be correct. Of course, I might have read that wrong..

On the flip side....

You are only allowed a single band of any given datacard.. so you cannot band two sets of skeeters..

Nor can soldiers take any equipment other than musician and standards.. so the Harpies could not take the fire keg.

Just a quick note to clarify what sounds like a minor item missed..

PG 37.

"Burrowed models may surface at the end of a move, charge, or run action, including for attacks using the rush or swift attacks for no additional movement."

The focus being that it takes a move action to pop up, and then a cast action to cast the spells..

I was reading where you popped up, cast, and then burrowed again.. which would not be correct. Of course, I might have read that wrong..

On the flip side....

You are only allowed a single band of any given datacard.. so you cannot band two sets of skeeters..

Oh... :blush: ...well, we both f^%&$d up then, huh? :lol:

Dang though. I knew that trick with Gilam was too good to be true. :down:

In the immortal words of Homer Simpson "Doh!". Well at least the upside is my transgression did absolutely jack and squat. 16 shots at the griffon between them and 0 hits...Oh wait, I got one and then WB made me Albatross it....

And when we get to DFW I will make sure and take a jacket...I head it gets cold when there is nothing to break that piercing wind... ::P::poke:

I had my digital camera all charged up too so that we could take pics. But, I'm with Greenie on this one. There are just too many people walking around and since I only knew a few of them I had no desire to have my expensive camera go for a walk. I would have not been happy. :grr:

Hopefully next time we will be at a house where we can properly take pics and make a much cooler battle report. ::D:

I love how WildBill's way of making a Dwarf list is so completely opposite how I would go about it. Excepting three models (Griffon, Logan, Abjorn) the highest DV is 10, on the Miners and Gilam. 9 for the piercers and 'zerkers (sortof.. they're sortof 10DV), and 8 on the Mancatchers.

I think I'd pee myself if I brought an army like that!! To me I don't even feel comfortable unless the list has 50% of the models at or above DV 11 or so.. And it's not like I always set out to fulfill a formula where I have an average DV in mind or anything, I just think to myself "ok, I want to make sure that my Dwarves can hold their ground... Warriors!" And that's about as far as I get usually, haha!

For example, if I were to construct a troop with Logan Battlefury, it'd look something like this:

Logan, Durgam Deepmug, Ivar Silverfist, 4 Berserkers, 4 Warriors, 2 Halberdiers

That's a pretty hefty troop, but I'd feel confident that the Warriors and Durgam could keep the arrows away from the Berserkers on the way in, and once the troop engages the warriors/Durgam pair up with Berserkers/Logan to "cover" them with Provoke so that on their first round of melee, at any rate, the Berserkers don't take any hits (hopefully!) And of course by piling Berserkers AND Warriors onto the same target, and having Halberdiers there for extra firepower against troop leaders or other extra nasty opponents, you pretty much guarantee that the first turn drops plenty of enemies and only your warriors. A mauled troop is going to have trouble with a berserker troop.

That's my theory, at any rate. I only recently got berserkers in any numbers at all, so previously I only ever had one in an entire army.

But anyway, seeing how this battle report went has renewed my thinking on the berserkers and the whole low DV/high MAV approach to the Dwarves. In the previous edition one of my absolute favorite armies ever that I designed and played was one offensively focused troop lead by Logan and one defensively focused troop lead by Logrim with Snorri Oathbreaker because my armies tend to have only a token ranged presence. I have yet to field it in 2nd edition, but I think I'll have to dust it off, fine tune it, and give it another go!

Well, I guess I should say Thanks for the compliment, I think. :unsure:

:lol:

Yeah, I have yet to field the Bear Riders in any game (when they used to be staples) and I have only fielded the Shieldmaidens once, or maybe twice, since I started playtesting the Dwarves last year!! ::o: I have great success with the "lesser" DV models in the Dwarf army. Since they all have multiple tracks and relatively high MAVs, and a higher sprinkling of Tough over most factions (seemingly, anyways), then I do quite well with them. ^_^

I also used to field the Kneebreakers consistently too, but I haven't put them on the table lately either. I guess it's time to sharpen my army building skills a little more. :B):

I was actually considering breaking out the clippers and green stuff and converting my Swiftaxes into Kneebreakers because I like the DV better and the offensive profile better. DV 9 is scary to me but DV 10 seems passable.

Here's something else I found interesting...

In the battle report I recently posted between dwarves and reven where I faced Qwyksilver, as is typical for myself I fielded a defensive army with moderate MAV and good DV. Qwyksilver fielded a variety of Bull Orcs, some of whom have DV 10 but many of them have DV 9. So by my reconing that's a low DV army - but they're Bull Orcs AND he had a totem of battle, plus enough Hunters to get support much of the time - so he had a pretty high MAV value most of the time.

So we kindof flip-flopped our attack and DV stats, and it still worked out to a decent average for both of us. You and Greenie? What's DV? Seems you both like MAV and lots of it, and I bet the bodies hit the ground really hard and really fast! But if one of you had faced a higher DV army, you'd still have the MAV to deal with that. I think that's pretty cool.