Sign in to follow this  
Madcap

Demo Army Lists (500 pt.)

I am in the process of teaching Warlord to myself and others using the new Second Edition rules set. I have a lot of dwarf and undead models, so I am going with Dwarves and Necropolis. Here are my "demo" 500-point scouting forces to use in the first few games. Please review and let me know what you think. If you suggest different leaders... well, I may or may not have them.

Dwarven Scouting Force (Warriors of the Mountain Doctrine)

Troop 1: Gargram Heavyhand, Warrior x 3, Swiftaxe x 2, Piercer x 2

Troop 2: Tohil Steadyhand, Warrior x 2, Piercer x 2

Troop 3: Durin Pathfinder, Pathfinder x 3

Luckstone

Necropolis Scouting Force (Crypt Legion Doctrine)

Troop 1: Sir Azarphan, Skeletal Warrior x 3, Skeletal Archer x 2

Troop 2: Sir Gauren, Skeletal Warrior x 6, Skeletal Spearman x 3, Skeletal Archer x 2

Troop 3: Railor, Skeletal Warrior x 6, Skeletal Spearman x 3

Luckstone

For true demo games, I think 500 is way too much. If you are just showing off the game, I'd recommend more like 200-250 points. Something like:

Fulumbar Ironhammer

Warrior x 4

Piercer x 2

VS

Elsabeth Briarkiss

Skeletal Warrior x 7

Skeletal Archer x 2

This would give a very fast game that would show off the basics of melee and ranged combat.

In my experience new players have a very hard time using skeleton warriors and swordmen efficiently, and I try to avoid using them in demo armies. Simply put, it is rarely beneficial to the necropolis player to actually attack with his skeleton warriors/swordmen (indeed most often it will help your opponent more than it helps you). If you have ghoul or zombie models I think it would be much better to use those as your basic soldier in a demo necropolis force.

Also for a demo game i would keep casters out of it. Just introduce them with melee and 2-3 archers. If there interested them ask if they want to try a caster in the next list. Once you have played the game for a while it doesn't seem like much but for your first time it can be overwhelming.

-Sin

I like to keep my demos to around 500pts. This allows me to put in one of the big solos. They have a 'flash' and help bring folks over to the table. Also has the benifit of letting the potential player see the power of the "BIG GUYS". Here are a couple of the demo forces that I have been playing for a while:

Necropolis

Troop 1

Elsabeth, Magical Weapon, Luckstone

Nivar the Wraith

Sir Osric

Crimson Knight

Skeletal Archer

3x Skeletal Warriors

Wraith Harvesters

Troop 2

Skeletal giant

Reven

Troop1

Varaug the Great, Bonesplitter, Luckstone

Gurm

Bull Orc Archer

2x Bull Orc Fighter

Bull Orc Hunter

Ogre Warrior

Troop 2

Nhoolyan

I agree with Sinden and I also avoid casters in demo armies. They're great for the second game though. As for "Big Guys" I like to bring a solo in a demo army for two reasons. Firstly it's the cheap way to add a second troop (showing off the initiative system a bit), secondly as herzogbrian mentions Big Guys are fun and grab attention. I do try to keep my solos fairly cheap though since it is very hard to deal with 200 point models in a 500 point game. I find that solos at around 100 points work well in demo armies.

I agree with Sinden and I also avoid casters in demo armies. They're great for the second game though. As for "Big Guys" I like to bring a solo in a demo army for two reasons. Firstly it's the cheap way to add a second troop (showing off the initiative system a bit), secondly as herzogbrian mentions Big Guys are fun and grab attention. I do try to keep my solos fairly cheap though since it is very hard to deal with 200 point models in a 500 point game. I find that solos at around 100 points work well in demo armies.

Ditto.

The context of the demo varies the complexity of forces as well. If it's a standard game night with a "guaranteed" new player, I'll use 3 troops c. 650 or a full 1000 pt army if the player has more exp w/mini games. At a con where events are meant to be basic overview teaching only, a small 2 troop game works well. Play a quickie game helping along the way. If it goes exceptionally fast you can reset and let the players go at it again with more knowledge, possibly swap sides before the 2nd game.

I just demoed tonight to a couple guys and it was full 1000 point armies with everything. My experience is that people like magic and big models and want casters and monsters. I learned with a 1000 points, under the tutelage of the great Shakhak, and he hooked me in one demo.

I think my army was:

Fulumbar

Margara

some warriors

Freya

some warriors and haberds

Fuulumbar

Ivar

swift axes and piercers

Snorri

Thorvald

My opponent was an all Cav, People of the Desert list. Yes, Dwarfs reigned supreme, Nefsokar only rained blood ::):

For true demo games, I think 500 is way too much. If you are just showing off the game, I'd recommend more like 200-250 points. Something like:

Fulumbar Ironhammer

Warrior x 4

Piercer x 2

VS

Elsabeth Briarkiss

Skeletal Warrior x 7

Skeletal Archer x 2

This would give a very fast game that would show off the basics of melee and ranged combat.

I know this IS asking a lot,

But I want to get enough of each faction to make a Demo army for each. Either 500 or 300 point.

If I was to go with 300 pts. what is a good list for each that would personify the strengths/weaknesses

and uniqueness of each faction.

The local store here has a lot of warlord minis on the wall but no one plays warlord. I think a lot of people are using them for D&D and stuff. I really want to get some organized play going up here in the northwest.

These all have more than one troop, melee, range and casting, which pretty much gives an honest impression of a full game in miniature ::D: get it miniature. Most are 12 give or take a model.

It might be hard to give an honest representation of faction strengths at 300 points because you are so limited in model choice at 300 due to point cost. Like a good Crusader list IMO has a couple Lion Lancers, a few Justicars, and a few healers. My favorite models in the Overlords are the heavy Cav, Shadow Legoinaire and Ashkrypt, with the Dwarfs and Necropolis I love all of their elites and try to pack in as many as I can. Also, Cav, burrowers, fliers, monsters and solos can be pricey. But these little lists are probably as close as you'll get for 300.

Crusaders - 315 points

Troop 1

Acacia, Ivy Crown Ranger

Ivy Crown Archer x 2

Ivy Crown Skirmisher x 2

Troop 2

Sister Majeda, Battle Nun

Battle Nun x 2

War Dog x 2

Saramonde, Chronicler

Ian, Mage Apprentice

Darkspawn - 317 points

Troop 1

Vysa

Ice Demon x 2

Thuusia, Pain Mage

Demon Imp x 2

Troop 2

Keradaan

Isiri Archer x 2

Isiri Pain Tender x 2

Broken Fodder x 2

Dwarves - 321 points

Troop 1

Durin Pathfinder

Pathfinder x 2

Piercer x 2

Troop 2

Margara Firetongue

Swiftaxe x 2

Valana, Forgemaiden

Kneebreaker x 2

Elves - 317 points

Troop 1

Vale Archer x 2

Vale Swordsman x 3

Raynor, Royal Blademaster

Lysette

Troop 2

Gildan, Vale Ranger

Hunting Cat x 2

Vale Ranger x 2

Evil Mercs - 317 points

Troop 1

Blackreef Pirate x 2

Rod Blackreef

Leisynn, Wizard of Chaos

Troop 2

Street Thug x 3

Darkthrall Cultist x 3

Hedasaa, Cultist Leader

Neutral Mercs - 315 points

Troop 1

Elandaria

Mercenary Crossbowman x 2

Artemis

Mercenary Spearman x 2

Troop 2

Dingo Appledimple

Minotaur

Mercenary Axeman x 3

Necropolis - 312 points

Troop 1

Railor of the Unbodied

Tharian, Bloodmagus

Wraith Harvester x 2

Skeletal Archer x 2

Troop 2

Eikar, Crypt Bat

Crypt Bat x 3

Chattel x 2

Nefsokar - 325 points

Troop 1

Daughter of Sekhmet x 2

Awakened Mummy x 2

Chosen of Sokar

Netikerti

Troop 2

Mi'sher

Khamsin Raider x 2

Khamsin Ranger x 2

Overlords - 312 points

Troop 1

Corvus

Overlord Spearman x 2

Overlord Crossbowman x 2

Bondslave x 2

Troop 2

Taletia, Disciple of Ashkrypt

Onyx Zephyr x 2

Daughter of the Whip x 2

Bondslave Survivor x 2

Reptus - 320 points

Troop 1

Ssathuss

Pakpao, Clutchling Caster

Nagendra Venomspitter x 2

Couatl x 3

Troop 2

Gam-Nan, Gaan-Hor Elder

Gaan-Hor Warrior x 2

Raptor x 2

Clutchling Spearman x 2

Goblin Reven - 319 points

Troop 1

Goblin Skeeter x 6

Troop 2

Goblin Ranger x 6

Troop 3

Harpy x 5

Reven - 322 points

Troop 1

Dantral, Half-Orc

Bull Orc Archer x 2

Bugbear Warrior x 2

Gonda, Goblin

Troop 2

Urga, Beastman

Lunk, Goblin

Beastman Woodcutter x 5

These all have more than one troop, melee, range and casting, which pretty much gives an honest impression of a full game in miniature ::D: get it miniature. Most are 12 give or take a model.

It might be hard to give an honest representation of faction strengths at 300 points because you are so limited in model choice at 300 due to point cost. Like a good Crusader list IMO has a couple Lion Lancers, a few Justicars, and a few healers. My favorite models in the Overlords are the heavy Cav, Shadow Legoinaire and Ashkrypt, with the Dwarfs and Necropolis I love all of their elites and try to pack in as many as I can. Also, Cav, burrowers, fliers, monsters and solos can be pricey. But these little lists are probably as close as you'll get for 300.

Wow thanks. Yeah I knew it was asking for a lot. Since that is so few points to work with. Maybe I should just focus on three factions and build up a sizable force in each. then I could demo those three at 300 and 500 as well as what ever level I end up buying up to.

I don't really think you need to show off each factions strengths, I.E. Elfin magic or Crusader healing or Necro Vampires, because all the factions are quite versatile, and no one plays them the same. I play a lot of Reven, and my build is never the same twice. Sometimes I take all goblins with lots of their cheap casters and range mixed in, other times I take the Warlord with big magic, sometimes its all beastriders. With my other Reven sometimes all archers(which is possible because gnolls and bull orcs can actually melee), or lots of magic, or an all lesser orc or bull ork list, ogres or a misfit list with gnolls, bugbears and beastmen. So, even if fluff kind of dictates something may be their strength in all honesty they are probably equally good at numerous things.

Also if you really plan to buy lots of little armies purely for the sake of demoing, I would join the black lightning team because I believe they get a 25% discount on such a purchase of an initial collection. I hope you build a huge group in the NW.

Also if you really plan to buy lots of little armies purely for the sake of demoing, I would join the black lightning team because I believe they get a 25% discount on such a purchase of an initial collection. I hope you build a huge group in the NW.

I noticed the black lightning team link. I would love to do something like that but right now Im still learning the game myself. My plan first off is to get a few more of my immediate game group into it. got 3 interested so far. Get some games going with us at the local game shop and get a few people interested that way. then set up a demo day and really drum up the interest.

followed by more organized play. A lot of my friends play warmachine, 40K, and hordes. I think a lot of them would really love warlord once they get a taste of it.

Until I get that interest I dont think just scheduling a demo at the local shop is going to cut it if I dont have interested players chomping at the bit to learn the game. I don't see how I could run 3 events with much attendance till I have units to show off.

So I see the black lightning 3 demos to qualify as a catch-22. I would want some units to get that interest before I run the 3 demos.

But then again when some of my gaming group get units going we could always use them and run the demos together.

I wonder if I was to do a demo and post it on youtube (as mentioned on another thread) If that could count as a demo?

Sorry, Hope that didn't come across as bad talking reapers way of running black lightning or anything else. But as some one who has drummed up interest in other games in this area I know what it will take. Having a preexisting player base needs to be in place before the demo is all I was saying. Just don't want what I said taken wrong.