Dark Knight conversion

Note: due to an Internet outage my webserver is down but I'm posting as originally written and will attach some pics instead of displaying inline

Gaming season is almost upon our group. One of our more recent players is an old friend who is one of the biggest Batman fans in the world.

In a bizarre dose of karma, he ended up with a character class called a Dark Knight completely by chance.

His Dark Knight is more of an anti-paladin than a crime-fighting detective, but she does wear "Wings of the Bat" which allow her some limited flight, camoflage, and even polymorphing into a bat.

It's not really a big set of demon wings, but hey - GM fiat.

I'm bashing 2 Reaper figures together. The foundation is a Female Bloodguard by Dennis Mize; the wings are donated by Bob Ridolfi's Gargoyle.

That hair's going to have to go.

All the pieces:

Ignore the shield on the left. It looks neat, but her character sheet said she has a +1 tower shield. I plan to sand the front smooth and probably put a Batman symbol on it, although that doesn't take advantage of all the rectangular space.

I'll be using a Privateer Press base, so here I've already cut off part of her integral base.

As you can see, I had to grind off the hair on her back - I mean, the hair that cascades down her back. I also ground the gargoyle wings down to fit. My plan is to sculpt the hair back, this time flowing over and around the wings.

I was lucky, the parts are a pretty good fit.

Here I'm using poster putty to get a feel for how it all works. I've removed the axe she was holding and the GW plastic shield was just right for a replacement. Unfortunately, the axe haft met her body, so I had to grind it smooth. I can't sculpt mail as Mr. Mize could, but I did my best to use some green stuff to repair here as well as some of the places I got sloppy with my Dremel.

I'm a little vague on my base plans. I have Reaper's Bat Swarm which has a couple of loose bats, so I'll likely end up sculpting a couple of narrow stalacmites and perching the bat on a wire so it looks like it's flying.

I'm open to suggestions.

I may also redo her weapon, since her character wields a khopesh sword, a strange sort of Egyptian sickle. Maybe she learned to fight from Ra's al Ghul!

My next step is to work on the shield. Holy battered barriers, any suggestions how to turn this into a +1 Bat Tower Shield?

post-3073-1256850385_thumb.jpg

post-3073-1256850572.jpg

post-3073-1256850585_thumb.jpg

post-3073-1256850590_thumb.jpg

post-3073-1256850619_thumb.jpg

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

As for the shield, I'd shave off the skull and keep the lower nine rivets.

I thought about that, but decided to smooth it all out and go with a morphed Bat-symbol that's tall and narrow (and evil looking). I also considered integrating the Stirge Swarm figures, but they don't really work.

As for the shield, I'd shave off the skull and keep the lower nine rivets.

I thought about that, but decided to smooth it all out and go with a morphed Bat-symbol that's tall and narrow (and evil looking). I also considered integrating the Stirge Swarm figures, but they don't really work.

Cool--I look forward to seeing it. IMHO I'd pass on the stirges. Let's see some paint! ::D:

No paint yet, but base work continues. Engineering comes naturally to me, so I always make my figs very structurally sound - important here, since this is a gaming fig. I decided to make one large stalacmite and attach the bat to it somehow. For strength, I started with a brass tube - which lead to inspiration later.

The bats are far too small to drill for any kind of pin, but the wings are nicely arched to accept thin monofilament fishing line. What better way to attach it to the stalactmite than to just stick the line in the tube and sculpt around it?

I liked the idea so much I built a smaller stalacmite for the smaller bat. I hope it isn't overkill.

The bats didn't quite fly right, so a candle was used to heat and bend the line. This is mostly trial and error work.

You can also see the pair of locating pins I put into her feet. Again, overkill for most figs, but she's going to get handled a lot.

And just for fun - since the bats are attached only by some pretty thin fishing line, when the figure is finished, they should jiggle slightly which my family thinks will be fun :)

Now my challenge is to sculpt a Bat-cave floor into the base, something that will integrate the stalacmites but not be too busy. I'm thinking of putting a couple of small "soda straw" cave formations on the floor behind her - basically just small, very thin stalacmites probably built on a brass wire core.

I'm very open to ideas on how to best accomplish this. I'm more an engineer than an artist :)

post-3073-1257301384_thumb.jpg

post-3073-1257301390_thumb.jpg

Ha! I love it! Great idea. Not sure exactly what you mean by "soda straw", but I would think taking the pins you used on the feet (or thin brass wire as you mentioned) and rolling GS over the majority of it (leaving a small end to pin into the base) would work. While the GS still has some workability, pull or continue rolling the end to get a sharply tapered tip.