Sign in to follow this  
haldir

that's one big "boat"

We're also not seeing how much of her hull is below the waterline. My understanding is that cruise ships have stabilizers that extend when underway to reduce roll.

You're presuming that thing can even steer and doesn't just drift with the currents hoping to make it to its next port of call.

It looks like a Vegas hotel welded to a barge. The fine folks who gave us drakken and the short-lived Vasa should be ashamed of this abomination.

It looks like a Vegas hotel welded to a barge. The fine folks who gave us drakken and the short-lived Vasa should be ashamed of this abomination.

Isn't that what a cruise ship is for all intents and purposes?

I'm looking at that, and it doesn't look right. Like they fired the original architect and hired on a team of less talented designers. No consistent vision. Doesn't look right from all angles. Mark this as a bad omen or something, but that ship looks wrong.

It seems to be really top-heavy or something. I suppose I expect a ship of any sort to have a sort of terraced profile...more like an aztec pyramid than a box. This boat looks like one good gale could capsize it.

But that's not the real issue. It seems to me to be lacking in the one thing I'd go out to sea to see..and that is wide-open ocean vistas. It seems too enclosing..or something. I think Crunch summed it up well. It seems this particular ship's design is meant to make passengers forget they've left land. Where's the fun in that?

And then there's issue number two..which is WHO IS GOING TO BE SAILING ON THIS THING? I know the entire world is not as hard-hurt as the US economy is..but let's be real..that's a LOT of cabins to fill. I doubt even Shatner and PriceLine will do much good. I can almost smell the eminent bankruptcy.

Below the water line it looks like portions of the hull flare out:

http://www.marinebuzz.com/marinebuzzupload...the_seas1_3.jpg

Although I can't tell how much of that is the ship, and how much is the fish eye lens it looks like the photo was taken with.

http://quietmint.com/uploads/map-cruise.jpg

Concerning the "top heavy" comments. We get a lot of US cruise ship "tourists"* here in denmark, and that ship looks just like a regular cruise ship, just bigger.

*) A more accurate description would be programmable shoppers. They're turned loose for a day with a VERY specific shopping list and a map to guide them to the "right stores". Most have zero interest in the place they're "visiting", a lot of them I'm sure can't mention what countries they've visited when they return home. I've even seen one person get seriously offended because a store didn't accept US cash... but that's another rant.