Base Edge Color

Hi,

I'm trying to do a human army with snow themed bases but I'm actually stuck for what color to use on the edge of the base. Grey, black, white, brown? Any recomendations?

While on the topic of base edge colors - I'm curious about what other colors people tend to use. Does it vary based on the shade of the sand & flock or do you pretty much stick to one color?

Thanks,

~ CEG

• Replies 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Since i'm assuming that the goal is for these models to be used in table top gaming and not as display pieces I would HEAVILY recomend going with a darker natural tone.

Black is always fashionable, but on smooth edged bases like those sold by Reaper (plug) I tend to find natural tones compliment the army and really do a lot to create a narrative on the table. Black rimmed army bases always look like 'game' pieces on the table, not quite part of the natural environment. Brown, dark grey, and green bases tend to do a lot more to set the models into a time and place.

GET TO THE POINT MAN!

Anyway, assuming that you didn't paint his human army in grey fatigues/uniforms I would recomend going with a grey rim. Something along the lines of a cloudy or storm grey from the RMS paint line, or use Adeptus Battlegrey from the GW Foundation line.

Good luck and post a pic or two when you're done!

pez :zombie:

I rarely use black for bases. I'll use dark browns (Blackened Brown from Reaper, A German Dark Camo Brown from Vallejo) or a dark green. I want the mini separated from the table but I want it to be harmonious with the table at the same time, hence why I never use black. I can't even remember one of my bases chipping so that's not an issue for me.

Go with a dark, natural, complimetary color. I use a lot of natural tones, so often finish my base edges with a reddish brown then lightly wash with some ochre to break it up so it isn't one solid color.

For snow figures, I'd go with a gray edge, washed with dark blue.

If you want your figures to stand out from the table, use brighter colors, not outlined bases.

I'm trying to do a human army with snow themed bases but I'm actually stuck for what color to use on the edge of the base. Grey, black, white, brown? Any recomendations?

Are your bases totally covered with snow, or is it more patchy over bare ground? If the former, I would probably go with a light grey edge, if the latter I would go with whatever the base color of your bare soil is.

While on the topic of base edge colors - I'm curious about what other colors people tend to use. Does it vary based on the shade of the sand & flock or do you pretty much stick to one color?

I use most of my figures for gaming, so I like a base that will blend into the table as much as possible. So, my green flocked bases have matching green edges, my desert/badlands bases (bare soil with rocks/scattered grass) are tan, and my urban/ruins bases are edged a medium grey. IMO edging that doesn't match the rest of the base is okay for display pieces, but I just don't think it looks good with gameing miniatures.