New Dark Elves

KyleGibson

I'm kind of hoping they go along this route of logic (or lack of, you decide): Darkreach are to Darkspawn as High Elves are to Wood Elves. Keep the Darkfreach Elves snootier, more pureblooded & regal, more 'Queen of Spiders' and poisonous than corrupted & pain-oriented like Darkspawn. I would like to see them just be unique and separate, less likely to consort with winged demons like Rauthuros, or dark dwarves & dark gnomes. Maybe if they go like Qwyk wrote, in a less-traditional, underground-Drow sort of way, they could be more surface-dwelling but 'dark' in the sense of being evil, black of heart & mind. They could remain as surface dwellers, but shun the light of day in favor of enslaving orcs & goblins for use as chattel, calling on evil spirits of the forest & hills to exact their revenge...black dragon, cave troll, snakes, spider swarm, evil tree shepherd (more Huorn than Ent, more wild than Treebeard or Mossbeard)....just thinking...

Speculation is fun, and obviously I enjoy a bit of wishful thinking, but I look forward to seeing how they actually turn up.

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I figure that these will be more archetypical Queen of the Demonweb Pits Dark Elves if only because the alternative evil elves are the Darkspawn. Fluff wise I always liked the Darkspawn but other than a few of the early Werner figures I just did not care for the Darkspawn miniatures themselves. If I don’t like the bulk of the soldier types, I just can’t create an army. While second edition seems to focus less on blocks of soldiers (well at least how we are playing it) I still end up painting multiples.

Also GreyHorde, the good elf Cav are the centaurs.

I figure that these will be more archetypical Queen of the Demonweb Pits Dark Elves if only because the alternative evil elves are the Darkspawn. Fluff wise I always liked the Darkspawn but other than a few of the early Werner figures I just did not care for the Darkspawn miniatures themselves. If I don’t like the bulk of the soldier types, I just can’t create an army. While second edition seems to focus less on blocks of soldiers (well at least how we are playing it) I still end up painting multiples.

But the problem we both have is not whether the faction has cavalry--since, as you point out, it does have the centaurs--but rather, that we both would have much preferred there be elves on horses instead of centaurs. Especially given that there is now a wood elf faction, the centaurs feel more and more out of place in the Taltain elf army.

Well, one thing that you have to remember about the whole process is that part of it is a game designer decision, but then there is also a business side decision that outranks the game side.

Mounted models average cost is $14-15. From the average buyer's perspective, it is one thing to buy heroes and giants and things like that at that dollar amount, its another thing to be buying just regular mounted soldiers at that cost. And as much as I also think the idea would be cool for some of these things, I also have seen the numbers that show it is a huge risk to do it.

Especially, when you factor in that the game has already been saturated with horse riders in lots of factions (Crusaders, Nefsokar, Overlords, etc..)

I am not saying that there will or won't be any more mounted models in any of the new factions, I am just saying that there is more in the decision making process than simply what a few of us think would be cool for that faction.

I know. I just would have preferred riders over centaurs, nice though they are. ^_^ Like Vil-hatarn said <waves>, the centaurs seem to belong more to a wood elf faction.

Especially, when you factor in that the game has already been saturated with horse riders in lots of factions (Crusaders, Nefsokar, Overlords, etc..)

According to Figure Finder, seaching for warlord and horse, those are the only factions with actual horse riders. Sure, there are boar riders, beetle riders and other forms of cavalry. But if centaurs are more in line with a "Tembrithil Forest" cavalry, then elf knights might have been a better choice for the core faction. As for cost, centaurs range between $10 and $13, anyway, so I personally would have shelled out another couple of bucks per model to get mounted cavalry. Instead, I will probably end up proxying something else, or spending about double that amount on parts, plus a lot of time, trying to sculpt/convert models, and proxying a different faction's data card for friendly games. I like the centaurs, don't get me wrong. I just would like to have seen them go over to the wood elves.

Returning to this topic (apologies for the semi-threadjack), @KyleGibson, I agree. The Darkspawn already are the alternative to the spidery stuff everyone expects of Drow or Dark Elves. I don't play Darkspawn because the models just never really carried any broad appeal for me. A few models, sure, but not enough to build into an army. From what I see so far of the Darkreaches models, while having an archetypal spider motif, they do look cool. Maybe this trend will continue and I will eventually have a new faction to play.

Edited by GreyHorde

Not to flog a dead unicorn but now I get the point on Centaurs. Herzogbrian is our elf player and his elves all have black hair and are painted in green and rust so they have a wood elf look. The centaurs really work with them. He also uses tree ents in his force.

Now if you are asking would I buy a Werner sculpted elf knight mounted on a Garrity sculpted unicorn, then heck yeah!

I was actually hoping for a faction of Christmas elves riding reindeer what says cold and north better than Santa Claus.

I still wish there had been elven riders in the elf faction...would be nice to see them somewhere, though reindeer seems a bit silly.

Whereas a dwarf on a pig or elves in general aren't :poke:

Dood on a horse with a lance for $11

Dood on a horse with a bow for $11

Dood on a horse with a sword for $10

3 great options for elven cavalry. No faction really has multiple sculpts so it's no biggie to pull a DHL model for your cavalry.

Just use the datacards for Chiral, the Centaur Archer and the Centaur Warrior and you'll even have a legal force for tournaments and whatnot.

I just would have liked anything other than a spider motif, because it's so overdone. If people wanted spiders you can always paint em on.

I agree and the Darkspawn already have the arachnid thing going anyway.