Sign in to follow this  
rgtriplec

Why do you have the armies you do?

I have pretty large armies of Dwarfs, Elves, Reven and Mercs, but none were actually bought because they were my first choice.

I won a paint and take and got a boxed set of Dwarfs. I had also painted two dwarf halberds during the PnT, and was given the third by the BL that was running the event. So I was into dwarfs by default.

Then all the future events and tournaments over the next year seemed to all have blisters of Mercs. So, I started buying others concession prizes for a couple bucks. Then I found a collection of 100 Reven, Elves, Mercs and Necro for 25 cents each.

Then I bought all my Reven from Miniatures Market's discount page for 66% off.

Many of my elves were bought from Dewen for 66% off.

So, although I have invested hundreds of more dollars in those four factions. They were all bought because of the good deals.

My first choices would have been Crusaders and Nefsokar, then the four that I have.

I run a D&D campaign set in a homebrew world from which my board ID is taken. About 5 years ago, I co-opted Thunderhead/Mystic Eye Games' Bluffside material into the world as a core city for the latest run of the campaign. One of the featured races in the material is a humanoid reptilian race called the Dragori. I declared the Reptus miniatures the "official" representation for the Dragori, and several of my campaign members gifted me with some skullbreakers, archers, Khong-to and T'Kay to use for NPCs. Thus, Reptus became my first love, my first army, and currently represent the army for which I have the greatest number of painted models. Crusaders followed shortly thereafter, as I had a number of the "character" models for use in gaming as well. Along the way I became a BL, and at that point, all bets were off. I now have armies (60+ models per) for every faction except Reven, and even there I probably have enough to at least run a demo force. Somewhere along the line I discovered what my style of play was, and Overlords became my 2nd favorite faction behind Reptus. ::):

~v

In terms of actual Warlord models, I mostly have Dwarves and Elves, about 2:1, plus a smattering of others. If you also include DHL and other proxied minis, it's just about even between Necropolis and Reven, then Dwarves a close third, followed by Elves and Mercenaries. Why? Well, that's a long story. Let's just say I have a lot of those models on hand, going back to the days of mass-combat systems, up to and including Apocalypse.

I already owned a ton of minis when Warlord was in Beta download ages ago, a bunch of Reaper stuff, too, so I playtested a lot of armies before diving in. I first started collecting Dwarves for Warlord. I only bought a few before playtesting them revealed I didn't like them so much. They didn't act like I wanted Dwarves to be. Then it was Freelance because I could mix and match anything I liked, so I had a lot of different factions. At the same time I bought up Mercs, because they were almost as good as Freelance and had a Faction Ability. At some point I realized Freelance was over powered and doomed to being banned and I switched to pure Mercs and loved Change of Heart. Playing Vampires was a choice based on their elite status. It's an army of complete tough guys. I liked that theme. And Vampires (not Twlight, for the love of god, not that!) are cool. So that army became my top dog. I bought Overlords next because I liked the heavy armor look of the models, the many amazing solos and elites, and the faction ability. Alas, they lost their appeal to me in 2.0 and I traded the lot off for the next army: Outcast Reptus. I have yet to play the Outcasts so I don't know how they will do. I have a lot of other models from all kinds of manufacturers, so I can field any army I like. But Vampires, Mercs, and Outcasts are my big three Reaper models only armies. Now you know my story.

HIGHLAND CRUSADERS - My first army was Crusaders proxied by DHL Highlanders. I liked the Highlanders and wanted to paint them. Lots of tartan. Battle Nuns. Moor Hound. Hairy Highland Cow. Lady Jehanne was Lady Macbeth. Fun stuff.

RESURRECTED CRUSADERS - My second army was Crusaders proxied by Skeletons. Used Barrow Wardens for leaders (see my avatar). Tissue hardened by super glue used to make the tattered clothing with each troop painted to represent a different Order. Easy and fast. I painted this army in one week to use in the Reapercon 2008 Warlord Tournament.

CHILDREN OF THE GREAT PUMPKIN - Necropolis proxied by DHL Pumpkin Horrors and females in various stages of dress. Like Gus, I liked Gauntfield. Also liked the Pumpkin Horrors and Gargoyles. Painted in one month and used in the 2009 Reapercon Warlord Tournament. I am still adding to this army. They are my main gaming army for now.

REPTUS - I liked the Turtle Dragon and Spikeshell Turtles. Trolls too.

COLONIAL (VICTORIAN) BRITISH MARINES - This is my Razig army. Chronoscope British Soldiers are Bone Marines. Leaders are British Chronoscope Sergeant and Officer. Lots of DHL Dire Rats swarmed from the ship to join the marines along with Sea Creatures from DHL Familiar pack. Barrow Rats are Scurvy Dogs. Chronoscope Moroccan Mechant and Ned Lewinsky, Mad Bomber are proxied for Seahag and Clasissa. Almost done with these guys.

I have Crusaders, Darkspawn, Bloodstone Gnomes, Merchs, Dwarves, and Nefsokar.

I started with Crusaders cause that was the starter pack I could find, And They are my favorite army so far. I like the idea of honorable crusaders and these are the most painted of my forces. Idealist I guess. And I adore the team of Damon and Daniel. I have the most of these. I think I have all available models except the light lancers and I would like to get some. I also won a prize with the Duke and his justicars:)

Darkspawn I bought next. I thought they were drow initially and I like me some drow also I could find a started box for these too. I have started painting these. I LOVE Rautheros.

Gnomes are the next most complete faction I own. Initially as they were in the darkspawn and were wicked footpounders. Once they got a warlord and were pulled I bought most of the models that were available at the time and then won a pack of gnomes at reapercon.

I have a smattering of mercs, I bought some shadow sisters and some other few. Now I have acquired all the sister models from melt trading.

I got the beginnings of Nefsokar as a Black lightening member. The Avatar of Sokar is the bomb. I would like to get the Cavalry I like the nomads of the faction, and the golems, not so much the mummies.

Dwarves are my latest acquisition. I love them. Bear riders ! Boar riders! Sweet. Not to mention the griffin! Ah, I love me some beasties.I got most of these through point conversions, and reapercon melt.

I started off with Reptus because i have always done the dwarven factions in the other games I play.

I thought dragonmen and dinosaur types would be about as far from dwarfs as I could possibly get.

Now I'm starting to get into BSG's because where else can you play as a faction of evil Gnomes? :devil:

Dwarves because for some reason I'm drawn to their lore in every fantasy setting I've come across. I just love the idea of the stalwart defender, holding fast against all comers. To be honest it's because I see some parallels between their stoic "hold the line" attitude and my own spiritual journey, but I think I'm straying into no-no land there. So we'll just say "I resonate with their outlook on life" and leave it at that.

I also picked up a Nefsokar army prior to 2.0 because, let's face it, 1.2 Dwarves were about as interesting as a cinder block... They hit like a mac truck but they weren't a terribly clever army, and there's a big part of me that is also drawn to an army that has less raw power (ala dwarves) and more finesse. I like the Nefsokar blend of magic, teleportation, all of that. So I've got a Nefsokar army with some powerful casters that have some neat tricks, I've got some cavalry, and some footsoldiers to fill the ranks.

I keep internally debating a third faction, but honestly between two Warlord factions (and Nefsokar really needs some fleshing out), three Warmachine factions, a bookshelf of D&D books, plus other non-minis related hobbies, the budget gets thin.

But Elves interest me, and Darkspawn look pretty sly too. In fact one of these days I'd love to do an Eberron campaign revolving around an extended quest to combat some aggressive demons who keep trying to break into the surface world, and use that as an excuse to pick up a ton of Darkspawn models. Mostly I just want to plunk Rauthuros down on the table and make the PC's sweat, haha!

And if I were to be totally honest with myself, I'd buy and play all of the factions in a heart beat if the finances allowed it! Who wouldn't right?

And if I were to be totally honest with myself, I'd buy and play all of the factions in a heart beat if the finances allowed it! Who wouldn't right?

Right. If money were no object...

I play Darkspawn because the Drow are my favorite angsty emo evil race in D&D. I play mercs because the old merc army box was on sale as was razig at a going out of business sale. I'll probably be playing my million reaper kobolds as BSG.

I had never played Dwarves before, so I figured I'd try something different. When I'm done collecting for them however, I'll go back to my first love, undead (haven't decided on Necropolis or Razig yet - My daughter is putting together an undead/construct Nefsokar list).

I've got several armies, most of them ones I put together for demo games. My first army of choice were Dwarves, but two other guys at the shop chose Dwarves too. I switched to Crusaders. I liked the look of the Crusaders, and Duke Gerard's fluff is way cool. Their playing style didn't quite suit me, and later on I tried out the Reven. The Reven's melee based and swarm tactics sutited me well, so I became a huge Reven fan. During the playtesting for W/2 I played with my Crusaders again. At ReaperCon 09 I picked up some Bloodstone Gnomes thinking they would make a fun demo army. Once I started painting them I really started liking them. Now I've built up a good force of the corrupted Smurfs and I'm waiting anxiously for the Savage North.