Sign in to follow this  
rgtriplec

Why do you have the armies you do?

Let's see.. where to begin?

I am an ex Battletech guy, Learned about Reaper and CAV thru that. Then from there saw the very cool fantasy styled minis. Loved Werner Klockes dwarves but just like in Tim's situation, there were already like 2-3 people playing them when I first demoed the game. There was also a few people using Crusaders and Overlords. So, I went with Reptus to be different.

I learned to love the scaly ones and became fairly proficient with them. During 2006 and 2007, I very rarely branched out from them ever. They had enough options that I could field just about any "style" army I wanted without leaving the faction. In 2008, I was allowed to help a little in the kitchen so to speak, and with that I finally started branching out. I picked up Overlords and Nefsokar.

And then "they" showed me the artwork for the new gnomes... man was i hooked before a single model had ever been sculpted. I horded everything I could about them.

But, while they were awesome and fun, it just became more and more apparent that the game itself was having more and more problems. Luckily for me, Gus agreed and he had a personal connection with the big cheese. Gus was able to convince the head hancho what was needed.

Now fully intrenched in the kitchen this time around, I was required to play test pretty much every faction. And as cheesy as it sounds, I pretty much feel in love with almost every one I playtested. Hopefully that is a sign that each one is worth choosing. Cause I did. I now have at least a couple of 1000 points worth in every single faction published to this point. And probably a couple 1000 worth in the non published ones that have models.

When Castlebuilder got me started in Warlord I played Necropolis because I already had a ton of undead minis. I don't really like the way the undead play, so have both Crusaders and a mostly Demon Darkspawn army. In our current campaign I am playing the Demons, mostly because I love the idea of a cloud of succubis swooping down on an opposing army. I like my crusaders because I can field a pretty nice cavalry army with them. I also have a village mob DHL army I used in one of Tim's special events. Beer mug throwing bar maids, armed ladies of the night, madam as a sergeant, undertaker as a wizard, villagers with pitch forks and torches and so on. They were the most fun to paint and make up fluff for.

Jim

Crusaders and necropolis.

Firstly because the models and army idea are astounding.

Secondly because of the starter box.

And at last because there is nothing like crusaders in WHFB and all vampire counts's models are trash.

I'm pretty close to having all the necropolis models on my shelf.

What else I could dream of, would be to have stats for mounted death knight (Golgoth for example), or heavy vampire cavalry. Spectral cavalry is ok but having something more powerful would be really great.

The deluxe starter set seemed a very good deal to me. I picked Necropolis because you don't need to spend too much time on painting skeletons.

I have elves as my first army and still my favorite. I like the models, and in every game I have played, role playing or miniature, typically played the elf equivalent. I used the pre-painted mini's to create a reven list for something different and have ideas fr mercenaries that will probably never happen. Next is the Tembrithil elves.

For me, Nefsokar was an automatic, because of my love for ancient egyptian archeology and mythology.

Sisters of the Blade became my secondary after a two-century gap in our DnD campaign left my Killoren (green-skinned, elf-like fey) with time to raise a family, and recruit followers. Now I just need time to paint them

Beyond that, I have a least one piece from every faction, but those are based on the models themselves, rather than a desire to use for an army.

I started with mercs, lupine and sisters. I love wolves and thought that Vasyl and his boys looked really cool. The sisters were initially for cheap grunts, but I really like how a lot of them look. I can hardly wait for the Savage North to come out to see how the stats for the Korbolas and the Sisters look.

For me its Poki-minis , gotta have 'em all , well nearly . Started out with the original starter box , Crusaders and Necropolis , and have extensive armies for Dwarves , Elves , Nefsolar , Mercs , Overlords , Reven , Sisters of the Blade and Koborlas .