Best glue for hard plastics

nytflyr

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Are you using the liquid or the tube cement? I prefer the liquid cement from Plastruct all though the liquid cement from Testors is almost as good. The Testors bottle uses a little metal tube to deliver the cement to the right point as opposed to the Plastruct brush, so the Testors definitely has a better deliver system. I believe that GW uses the same bottle (and it may even be Testors cement inside) but I have never used theirs.

Testors also uses a glass jar of liquid cement.

AVOID THE TUBE CEMENT AT ALL COSTS! This stuff uses a polymer to retard drying, and unless you get good contact between parts, over time the polymer degrades and your figures fall apart.

I use both the Testors stuff in the jar, as well as the Plastruct stuff above. Specifically, for the latter I use Plastruct Plastic Weld, which works on a variety of plastics (they also make a styrene only bottle IIRC). I also usually have an old bottle of dissolved plastic which I use as a filler too!

The testors cement is good for when you need some "play time" to get components just right. It's slower acting though, so if its an awkward piece, the Plastruct cement (much faster working) is probably better. Different cements for different applications.

Incidentially, testors cement is simply MEK (Methyl Ethyl Ketone) which you can buy at a DIY (Lowes, Home Depot) in gallon cans... ::D:

Damon.

AVOID THE TUBE CEMENT AT ALL COSTS! This stuff uses a polymer to retard drying, and unless you get good contact between parts, over time the polymer degrades and your figures fall apart.

are you talking about this tube stuff? Cause I have never had that issue, and have been using it or over 10 years

Yes, and once you use the liquid stuff you will never go back. The joint from the liquid cement is just incrediably strong and so much easier to work with.

I'll second what Heisler said. While the polymer doesn't degrade right away, and you can preserve it by keeping your minis well protected, unless the plastic is contacting plastic, the polymer will hold it together, but 20 or 30 years down the road your figures might start falling apart.

Not only does liquid cement create a stronger bond, but it is less messy as well (less need to clean the joins), and (IMHO) easier to work with. Most serious plastic modelers use liquid cement rather than the tube stuff.

Damon.

yup, once you use the plastruct stuff (or ambroid pro weld-my favorite) its hard to use anything else!

stuff bonds strait away. i have just used it on all the new plastic celts from fields of glory, and no trouble.

fumes are a little stronger, do not leave the bottle uncapped , as one, its will evaporate pretty quickly, and two your head will be kicking! but will have some pretty vivid dreams!

in the other glues i still keep a bottle of the revell plastic glue (one with the long needle applicator)

I'll second what Heisler said. While the polymer doesn't degrade right away, and you can preserve it by keeping your minis well protected, unless the plastic is contacting plastic, the polymer will hold it together, but 20 or 30 years down the road your figures might start falling apart.

in 20-30 years, I think Ill have more pressing matters to worry about than my roman army falling apart :blink:

but Ill have a look at the liquid cement

Buy another box (you are going to anyway) put one together with the tube cement and the other together with the liquid cement and see which one goes together faster.

I did ask for advice, so Ill try out the liquid cement, faster is good :lol:

and actually, I only wanted about 12 Romans for an RPG im running, so I got 36 more than I needed