Thursday Night Fights

Last night Warwick, Greenie and Not Sure descended upon my house for our weekly knock-down drag-out Warlord street brawls! :lol: We had agreed before hand that each person would play two games, each at 1,000 points, with a timer set for 75 minutes. The time included deployment and ranger moves. We didn't start the timer until everyone had their models out and ready to go. But, after Round 1, we all decided to just use our same lists again, as it was easier mostly and just because it made for some cool match-ups. ::):

Here is my list:

Logan Battlefury + Hammer of the Mountain God + Mithril Armor

Durgam Deepmug + Magic Weapon

Ivar Silverfist

5 Berserkers

4 Warriors

1 Kneebreaker

Musician

Standard

Stone Spirit

Totem of Battle

Luck Stone

Totals: 1,000 Points, 14 Models, 2 Troops, 2 Init Cards

Round 1 **Ding ding**

This round featured myself squaring off against Warwick's Vampires. Greenie's Reven Horde squared against Not Sure's Merc-y Goodness. I'll let those two talk about their game, since I have no clue what happened. ^_^

1) Once again, WB totally forgot to use his Faction Doctrine. :grr: I'm not sure what I have to do to remember to use that stupid thing. It would have totally come in handy too!

2) Logan managed to cast Earthquake (thanks to the Hammer) and hit 3 out of 5 Crimson Knights that were in the AOE. I have no idea if Warwick's plans were messed up or not by his Stunned Knights, but it made me feel better. :devil:

3) I decided to summon the Stone Spirit this game. It was the first time I had done so, so I made darn sure I protected Ivar. When I activated in Turn 2, I was able to move Ivar forward and summon the Spirit directly into b2b contact with 2 Knights. That was awesome! So, for the first time, I was able to use my Provoke Love to help out Mr. Spirit. :wub: I had a Warrior charge each Knight, and they managed to wound, so therefore I had no Defensive Strikes against my Stone Spirit. ::):

4) In Turn 3, after Judas smacked around the Stone Spirit for a while, Ivar managed to cast Cure 2 on him. That was sweet! :wub: It also was probably the MVP move of the game for me!

5) Logan was a cuisinarting fool with the Hammer (giving him Mighty), Cleave and the Totem all kicking in. I was also able to use his Warlord Ability as well to increase his attacks. "What? You just attacked me with enough damage to kill me? Ok, take 6 attacks back. Oh, and 10 points of damage." :devil:

6) Time was called and we had only one activation left in the game: Judas. It was the bottom of Turn 5, and Judas needed to do 6 wounds to the Stone Spirit to kill it, while on his last track. Not likely. :devil:

7) By the end of the game, Warwick had Judas remaining on his last damage track. I had the Stone Spirit with only one wound on him and my Totem remaining. Because we weren't totally sure, we counted up all of the points remaining on the table and therefore I won. 277-190. If we counted models only (and not the Totem), then I would have lost 177-190. Close, huh? :poke:

Round 2 **Ding ding**

This round we had the winners play each other, and thus the losers played each other as well. So, this time I was squaring off against Greenie's Massed Legions of Doom and Warwick faced Not Sure's Mercs.

1) Once again, WB completely effed up and forgot to use his Faction Doctrine. :grr:

2) Logan pulled off his Earthquake spell again, this time hitting 9 out of 10 Goblins. That was sweet. :wub: It probably didn't help much, but hey, I tried!

3) I sent my Stone Spirit out to my right flank and essentially sacrificed it in the hopes that it would slow down that horde long enough for Logan's troop to finish off Greenie's warlord's troop on my left flank. Then when the right flank closed in, I would be in a position to take them down. Alas, it didn't quite work out that way. :down:

4) I figured out that I needed to kill 4-to-1 in order to essentially tie in this game, and 5-to-1 in order to win. That didn't happen. :down: I made just enough Tough checks to keep things interesting, but it wasn't enough. ::(:

5) Ivar did pull off a Mass Cure and heal up a couple of Berserkers at the same time. That was sweet.

6) When time was called, we were in the middle of Turn 4. All I had left was Logan on his last damage track, Durgam on his last damage track, my Totem and my Luck Stone. Greenie had all kinds of things left and beat me by a good 200 points.

All in all, I think everyone had a good time. I know I did! We were able to easily pull off the two games last night. Both of my games were pretty much decided when time was called. Greenie and I finished up Turn 4, after time, just for giggles and I was basically dead. There is no question I would have lost.

Hopefully the other guys will chime in sometime today and post their army lists and comments about their games and such. ::):

Wild Bill :blues:

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Here's my list. I played Greenie for the first round and Warwick for the 2nd round.

Troop 1

Orba Sinhan w/ Armor of Courage

Okuran x 5

Mercenary Spearman x 3

Mercenary Crossbowman x 2

Leisynn, Wizard of Chaos

Tallis, Cleric of Ishnar

Standard

Troop 2

Minotaur x 6

Standardith

Battle Totem

Luck Stone

19 soldiers + totem for 999 points.

I used the Scoundrel's Luck Doctrine.

The first game I had my rear-end handed to me. Greenie came at me with a 57-model Reven swarm, including Gronkle-Fibbitz (sp?) and two other clerics. He also had 6 archers, which I stupidly walked into their field of fire at the beginning of turn 1. I had the initiative and moved both troops into position about mid-board. On Greenie's initiatives he opened fire with arrows on two minotaurs and then torched them with one of the clerics with a wall of fire.

The next few turns were a blur as his goblin swarm descended upon me. I tried to burn some of his guys in G-F's troop, but we mistakenly allowed G-F to block the spell, even though he wasn't targeted. The most memorable fight is the end of turn 4 when Orba squared off against G-F and 3 goblins. Orba and G-F killed each other and then both passed Tough checks. Pretty cool ending.

By the end of game I had my totem, Tallis, Orba, and at least one Minotaur. There might have been one or two other models that Greenie didn't have time to destroy. I don't remember the scores, but he definitely had more points left on the board.

For game 2 I went up against Warwick's vampire/gargoyle army w Judas in the lead. He also brought the Grave Horror.

Turn 1 we basically got into positions and squared off. I had troop 1 in the middle with three Minotaurs flanking each side. Warwick had Judas and the gargoyles airborne and the Grave Horror was burrowed.

I lost initiative at the beginning of turn 2 and Warwick swooped in the gargoyles behind my main troop and engaged both wizards and a few other soldiers. He and I both thought it was already the beginning of the end. He took out Leisynn and heavily wounded Tallis. A few spear men took the big dirt nap, too.

I got the next initiative and moved three Minotaurs around back. I engaged one gargoyle and took it out.

Next initiative card is mine, again. I shot another gargoyle with the two bowmen. Orba took out the one that I shot. I then maneuvered Okurans and Spearmen to mop up the rest. All but one gargoyle fell by the end of Turn 2. By this point we realized how powerful Orba's ability is to give everyone Vengeful in his troop plus Orba, the Okurans, and the Minotaurs have cleave, AND I had the battle totem. Defensive strikes were pretty lethal. Then, you add in Focus and buddy bonuses. I was regularly rolling 3's to hit and 6's to cleave.

Back to the battle.... Warwick decides to engage the Okuran with his Knights at this point, seeing how lethal these cheap soldiers are. Then, he brings in the grave horror to engage a few more on my right flank. End of turn 2.

By turn 3 it's your typical battlefield of chaos with friendly and enemy troops intermingled and no clear lines defined. I moved the other three Minotaurs in on a Rush Attack on the Grave Horror and another minotaur engaged Judas. I used Tallis to heal two wounded minotaur that were still engaged with the grave Horror - gargoyle took out the third one. Several other skirmishes occurred, but the highlight of the game was taking out Judas with Orba, who already had several wounds from the Minotaur. Warwick commented that he had never seen Judas killed off so fast in a game before.

We made it to the end of Turn 4 before time ran out. I had about 462 points left and Warwick had around 330-ish. It wasn't a stomping and if we had gone through turn 5, he might have succeeded. I decided to leave the Knights alone and focus on the Grave Horror and Judas. He still had 5 healthy Knights left. I think it would have been a blood bath with not many soldiers left on the board by the end of the game.

Here is my list. Same as last week since I wanted to see how it would do against an army that would not deny the Support Bonus.

Troop 1

Gronkelfibbets and Mazak

Armor of Command

Goblin Warrior x25

Skralla the Black

Gonda

Troop 2

Dantral, Half Orc

Armor of Command

Goblin Warrior x20

Gonda

Lunk

Troop 3

Goblin Skeeter x6

Totem of Battle

57 models, 3 Init, No spy No tact. 999pts.

And it really did pay off. As stated before in the topic we did 2 battles, timed, and winner vs. winner/ runner up vs. runner up in the final round. I don't say looser since we all had a blast. And all I won was was the right to say "I'm going to Disney Land!".

Battle 1

I faced off against the really brave and courageous merc army of Not Sure. He boldly charged out to face the goblin horde - which was perfect for me since I could save both Gonda's from casting burst of speed - for Bless and other great things. Every single goblin died when his minotaurs and Okurans even sneezed at them - but viscous and cleave don't really matter much when they are 1 damage track models. He definitely over killed 90% of those that died. I know that Not Sure's favorite moment was the Warlord to Warlord battle royale but for me, honestly it was the swarm just eating those poor Minotaurs alive. The first time I played this list we were testing Korbolas and they had no support bonus. This list is built around having that. It is just gratifying to charge in a 9 point model and he hits with 2 attacks at a MAV of 6!!!! (2 base +1 for totem +1 for Bless +2 for support because I would have 5 in b2b). That was my highlight of the match for me. And since I have faced off against Warwicks minotaurs before and struggled to kill them it was very satisfying. Eh..I'm easy...

Battle 2

So here it was....Dwarves vs. Reven...the battle to end all battles. One winner....one looser. The fluff match of all fluff matches....Aggressive play style against aggressive play style....

And what does Wild Bill do? He was a coward using some weird thing called Tack - Teeks? WTF?

They camp....on top of a hill......the Spirit was suicidal and 2 warriors swapped places with 2 others to heal...and the was his movement....THE WHOLE GAME. What a let down.

Actually it was genious on Wild Bills part since it made me do all the work. I decided to use G&M's warlord ability for the first time and rush attack some blessed goblins. In hind sight I should have just moved up slowly and charged and attacked. They have DV8....cutting their attacks in 1/2 only let his stuff live longer as I neutered half my attack power. My highlight of the match was the suicidal Stone Spirit. I know the Wild Bill was thinking it would last for a turn or two with me whacking at it but it went down in one melee...with something like 11 wounds. It was awesome. It reminded me of the 3rd matrix movie when the swarm of drones just wash over those armored suits...awesome. Actually, the whole game was a highlight I felt until the bottom of 3 when I kill 4 or 5 of his guys and he makes all the tough checks....what a let down.

Well, not much to add. There was fighting, people died, fun was handed out like candy. I brought a list I had created for the ArtistCon fight, one with as few models as possible. Yes, it's a dumb gimmick, but it's also an iron-hard list.

Judas

5 Crimson Knights

Band of Gargoyles x 5

Grave Horror

Game one was a classic Warwick vs Wildbill fight. Lots of give and take and the end was never 100% until the final bell rang. I forgot my own Faction Doctrine, so don't feel bad, Wildbill. Us old school Warlorders are taking it on the chin trying to remember all the new bells and whistles. I'm thinking of getting a tattoo of "DO NOT FORGET FOCUS, WA, AND FD!" Knights and Gargoyles did their jobs fine. Grave Horror and Judas, usually the big MVPs of the game, didn't pull it off. Nothing you can do about garbage dice rolls.

Game two I got the chance to face my own army. Mercs. I know how tough the same be when I play them. Playing against them was horrible. The amount of damage a single Cleave model can dish out is amazing. A lot of my expensive models fell to much cheaper models with Cleave. And Not Sure wasn't even rolling high. Loads of 6 and 7, which is enough to Cleave. I'm sure I'll face them again, so I better come up with some tactics to fight the Cleave. Not Sure says he avoided my Knights, but I disagree. I avoided his Okurans and focused on soft targets. I thought it was game over on turnt wo when I Garoyled his back line and ate a bunch of guys. I just couldn't keep the momentum going.

So I took last place in our mini tourney. Judas is sitting on the throne talking to Vandrian, "Man, I feel like that goof from Twilight!" Vandrian replies, "I have to kill you now for even mentioning that." Judas shrugs, "I understand."

Yeah, definitely cool to see some Goblin love.

And it's cool to hear of WildBill taking a leaf out of the "Dwarf 101" book.. find some high ground, sit on it, and thwack anything that gets within thwacking distance! Cool beans!

Yeah, my typical motto is "Why are we standin' here? Those guys ain't gettin' any deader! Move out!" :lol:

But, being severely outnumbered like I was (but yet, only down one Init card :unsure: ), I knew that charging out into the open was 100% suicide. So, I plopped on a hill hoping that would help. :rolleyes: And yes, Greenie was right in that I didn't expect the Stone Spirit to go down that quickly. I thought he would survive into Turn 3. :down: Oh well. Next time I shall smite those evil Reven!! :devil:

My battle with Warwick was definitely typical of any classic battle that we have fought in the past. It always comes down to two lone warriors on the battlefield, slugging it out for complete dominance. It's amazing that it almost always ends that way. :upside:

Anyways, I'm definitely looking forward to the next time we can play two games in one night. Maybe next time I'll have a couple of easier scenarios on hand that we can play each round. ::):

And yes, Greenie was right in that I didn't expect the Stone Spirit to go down that quickly.

My problem lately has been being TOO cautious with my earth elemental types. Burrow just feels so warm and safe!

I wonder if it would have been more effective to keep him closer in to the main body, and popped him up on the surface right after the crazy goblins rushed in... that way you've got the big nasty that's making Goblin Paste for you, but he can't necessarily devote an entire troop to ripping it down all at once.

And yes, Greenie was right in that I didn't expect the Stone Spirit to go down that quickly.

My problem lately has been being TOO cautious with my earth elemental types. Burrow just feels so warm and safe!

I wonder if it would have been more effective to keep him closer in to the main body, and popped him up on the surface right after the crazy goblins rushed in... that way you've got the big nasty that's making Goblin Paste for you, but he can't necessarily devote an entire troop to ripping it down all at once.

Now, see, there you go getting all logic-y on me and stuff. :rolleyes: I definitely considered that, but I wanted to try something new. I was also trying to count on the Fearsome aspect as well and the Goblins relatively low DIS to help out in that regard. That led to a :zombie: Spirit. :lol:

Now, see, there you go getting all logic-y on me and stuff. :rolleyes: I definitely considered that, but I wanted to try something new. I was also trying to count on the Fearsome aspect as well and the Goblins relatively low DIS to help out in that regard. That led to a :zombie: Spirit. :lol:

Well..I DID have like 6 guys fail their discipline checks to make into b2b if that makes you feel better.... :lol: Honestly, I was expecting the Spirit to make paste out of the skeeters. They put 80% of the wounds on your priest...