Sign in to follow this  
Amalor Myrnnyx

Is Christmas coming too early?

OUr Kmart started putting out the Christmas trees display as soon as the back-to-school displays came down back mid-September. Sadly, I am no longer shocked..merely jaded.

It's the songs that get me though. All these shops counsel their employees not to say Merry Christmas or any other such greetings, but the stores play those gosh-awful holiday songs exclusively starting on Black Friday and mingled in with the regular mix of music beginning at least a week before Halloween. Mind you I don't "hate" Christmas music. I don't hate peanut butter sandwiches either, but there's enough and then there's too-danm-much.

But the biggie for me is Black Friday. I hate it. I refuse to participate in it as a consumer, and if I ever had to work in retail again, I would refuse to participate in it on the grounds of it being "high risk occupation". Back around six years ago when I was working at Kmart, I nearly got toppled off a l10" ladder by a mob of people who all wanted the exact same television. That night, I got the jolly task of being the one to let shoppers out at closing time without letting more customers enter the building. Talk about a job that is designed to make you despise humanity. I kept waiting for the pitchforks and battering rams to come out.

As for good people and holiday spirit, they're out there. They exist, but you have to get past the flash and noise to notice them.

But the biggie for me is Black Friday. I hate it. I refuse to participate in it as a consumer, and if I ever had to work in retail again, I would refuse to participate in it on the grounds of it being "high risk occupation".

I'm with you there. I don't participate and I don't want my daughters to grow up thinking that Thanksgiving is just a lead in to Christmas sales. I also don't want them to expect me to wait in line before dawn for whatever toy is popular that year - that ain't gonna happen.

I used to enjoy Black Friday when my mom and I would go. We'd plan our route, have our lists, and it was generally more fun and civil. Stores would hand out gift bags, people weren't morons, and the deals were decent and varied.

Now I may stop at one store if they have something I really want but I go near the end of the time window. If it's there, I was meant to have it.

I'm right with Spike on the music. I feel so bad for those poor employees and I hope they can tune it out after a few days.

This year, the first Christmas advertisement I saw came all the way back in September, from Sears/KMart reminding you to start buying up holiday gift cards now, to get a discount.

Which, to my mind, puts the whole problem in a nutshell. You don't see the Charlie Brown Christmas special, or Frosty, or Rudolph or the Grinch in September, October or November. You just see ad after ad for stores.

It's cliche to say it's crass commercialization of a holiday, and in fact, I have no problem with presents on Christmas, but Christmas ads are for the most part incredibly annoying (especially those endless Jared and Zales commercials, sometimes the same one twice during a single commercial break).

More annoying to me is that they interrupt my favorite season. I love Halloween and I love Thanksgiving and I love blustery, windy weather and the ground when it's covered in rain and leaves. Each early Christmas ad is a slap in the face to my enjoyment of Autumn. Why can't we just enjoy our seasons one at a time? Life is flying by in a fast-enough blur as it is.

Local stations are now playing Christmas carols. Never heard them this early before. I'm sure they've started other places too. }} SHUDDER{{

A local station has already started their 24 hours a day Xmas carols. Usually they start after Thanksgiving, but this year, it's a couple weeks earlier. The thing that sucks is that on 12/26 they are gone, and I really like the idea of 12 days of Xmas and wish they would keep playing some of them until at least New Years, but preferably Epiphany.

Yeah, I like to wind down the season during the week after, too. I leave my lights up until Jan 6. The whole concept of Epiphany seems lost on people these days, what with the barrage starting in September now.

For a number of years, I've been distinguishing between the Christian holy day of "Christmas" and the secular holiday of "Xmas". The two happen to be celebrated concurrently but should not be confused.

I'd say for most people, they aren't confused, but joined.

Anyway, the dates themselves were borrowed from pagan sources. Do these factor in then, as third and fourth, and so on holidays to coincide with the other two?

It would be hard to keep track of it all without a scorecard since both secular and Christian observances borrow from pagan sources. But then, that's a discussion that could fill a whole rack of encyclopedias and I'm a know-it-all who just can't help himself. It's just a lot of reading done on my part, and we all know what sort of trouble book-learnin' leads to.

In our house, we actually still celebrate Advent, a season most Americans redub the shopping season, but which has some deep and meaningful traditions in and of itself.

Earlier today, I decided that I am glad that Christmas seems to be starting exceptionally early this year. See, early Christmas means more early ads, which means that I don't have to see the ads for the new Twilight movie every single freaking commerical break! Now, it's only every other break, so I don't have to be reminded of Mary Sue vampires who sparkle in the sunlight.

Meh..so few people care about Epiphany these days. Once the Superbowl is over, it's time for clearance saies and to wait for the W2.

BTW...here's my favourite holiday special >> Clearance Day!

Mind you I don't "hate" Christmas music.

I do :devil: :devil: :devil:

Epically the old ancient crap that plays on our speaker system at work the day after T-day & goes through New Year's Day & gradually gets more & more played each hour, to where its close to a solid block of it, ughhhh. Thankfully the Christmas music stopped after that 1 day this year, apparently it must have been a FUBAR by the music rep. Oh well, it's coming :zombie: :zombie: :zombie:

I wanna say the V-day candy pallet showed up at work, the other day, but I may be mistaken.

I think that some celebrations, such as Epiphany, aren't as well known because not every American is a Christian; and with well over 2500 denominations (last time I bothered to check...back in 1989) of Christianity in America it's appears pretty tough to get Christians to agree on everything within the practiced religion (I certainly mean no disrespect here- just an observation).

I personally don't celebrate the holidays much so I tend to just ignore most of the hoohah surrounding them, though I do enjoy driving around and looking at decorated houses, and I certainly enjoy the feeling in the air- but I have to agree that Christmas is starting earlier and (too) earlier. I have to agree with Bruunwald; lets keep the seasons in the seasons.

Too early. I love Christmas, but months of ads shoved at me from every quarter sucks a lot of the joy from it. I dislike it being treated as a generic winter Holiday to be combined with Halloween, Veterans Day, Thanksgiving and a bunch of others just to satisfy some retailer's desire to make their Wall Street earnings projections look a little less bleak for the year. To paraphrase, "If I could work my will, every retailer who goes about with 'doorbusters' and 'early bird deals' on his lips should be boiled with his own pudding, and buried with a stake of holly through his heart."

(Is it the meds talking :lol: , or lack of? :zombie: )