Salvaging Half-Dried Paints

I have a ton of GW paints that have partially dried out. Do you guys have any suggestions for restoring them to a proper consistency?

On an unrelated issue, what's the easiest way to quickly mix "eyedropper" paint bottles that have partially settled? Stopping to shake my paint in mid-project knocks me out of my "groove" when I'm painting: I like to have everything ready to go the instant I need it.

• Replies 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

If they're just thick, they should be salvageable, but if they've gotten crusty or act like rubber, they're too far gone IME.

Usually, plain water is all that's necessary along with a lot of shaking and/or stirring. Remove any crusty bits carefully beforehand if possible or you'll get grit in the paint.

If that doesn't work well enough, you can try out flow improver, acrylic matte medium, or acrylic thinners, such as Delta Ceramcoat, Testor's Universal, or Vallejo Model Color.

If you don't like shaking your paint during a session, you could get a motorized hobby paint shaker. I don't have one, but I know some people really like them.

Every once in a while I go through my paints and do maintenance on them. They all get shaken until I can hear the agitator moving and then some more. If the agitator isn't moving or if the paint sounds thick, I open them up and stir or add water as necessary. I find this makes shaking during paint sessions go more quickly. It doesn't take that long once you make it a habit, but a paint shaker would be easier on the arms.

In this thread, I posted a link to a thread about electric paint shakers. Rastl posted another link, leading to instructions for building your own. Either option would free up your hands to be painting while your paint gets shook, I'd think. I've also read about people shaking their paints by strapping their bottles/droppers to an electric sander somehow; YMMV.

As for bringing GW paints back from the dead, yeah, if adding water and/or flow improver doesn't help, you're probably out of luck there. I suggest adding just a bit at a time - if it does work, you probably don't want to over-thin.

Good luck!

Kang

In this thread, I posted a link to a thread about electric paint shakers. Rastl posted another link, leading to instructions for building your own. Either option would free up your hands to be painting while your paint gets shook, I'd think. I've also read about people shaking their paints by strapping their bottles/droppers to an electric sander somehow; YMMV.

As for bringing GW paints back from the dead, yeah, if adding water and/or flow improver doesn't help, you're probably out of luck there. I suggest adding just a bit at a time - if it does work, you probably don't want to over-thin.

Good luck!

Kang

I grabbed an Electric carving knife from the local Salvation Army Thrift Store for $5. I then split an ice cube tray in half length ways so you end up with two "trays" at 1X6. Next I attached one of the trays to the knife (the one side with the hole near the end and made a another hole near where the knife attaches to the motor housing) and use elastics to attach the other side. Pic Here

If you have a lot of paints, you can use something akin to this:

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/disp...temnumber=93252

The difficulty is in keeping the paints from beating themselves apart while it runs. I put my Valero paints in it for about 5 minutes & it seems to have brought them back (had been just over a year since I'd touched them).

Good luck.

p.s. I'm not affiliated with harbor freight. And that price is too high for that thing anyway. If you have such a place, keep an eye out for the X% off coupons!!