Sign in to follow this  
jdripley

Firestorm Armada vs. __________

Well I played my first game. To be honest it's not a bad rules set, and easy to learn ( a plus in my book), I havent seen any problems with spartan changing rules, they have adjusted points values ( a clue other companies should look into IMO ) but in all not a bad game. I can say that the ships look great when assembled, but be ready to do some work on some of the models to get them together. I almost seems like the 3d modeler resized one side of the hulls on the Dindrzi fleet after mirroring it. So after a little shaving and filling ( not realy more than BFG) they look great and are HUGE models. For the cost of $6 per model in the starter not to bad considering the cost of other models that size. I wil probly get all the starters over time (love spaceship models you should see my B5 fleets). Either way, ships are useable for FT , or other scifi ship games and at the cost, not to bad.

my 2cents

"Bad habit of changing rules." Well they only have one other game besides Firestorm, which is Uncharted Seas. They did make some pretty big changes right out of the gate. So it's not a habit yet. We'll see what they do with Firestorm.

One note on their rulebook - it has pretty spotty editing, and the examples don't necessarily follow the rules they are trying to exemplify. Which, I suppose, is also an editing issue. The rules are good, but you need to read carefully. Fortunately it's pretty straight forward and there's only a handful of "to hit" numbers to remember.

I wonder if half of the problems I have with the rulebook come up because they are English and I am American. People think in different ways in different countries, and what makes perfectly clear sense to one person in country A may not make a lick of sense in country B (see, there was actually an example of that in the sentence! "a lick of sense" would make NO sense to a person who is unfamiliar with that phrase).

The Firestorm Armada rulebook actually makes mention of using other ships, and has a set of rules for creating your own ships. I'm turned off by most spaceship games and thus don't usually go for the games that "hardcore spaceship gamers" go for. They tend to be needlessly complex, and tedious. I haven't played FS:A and have even had some trouble with the Dindrenzi ships, but I'm keeping an open mind until my stuff's painted, and I've gotten a few games under my belt.

Armada seems to have a good bit of traction.  Anyone playing?  I bought a couple models, and was really impressed with the quality of the resin casting.

Are you playing SFB or Federation Commander? Or the Starmada variant?

I'm halfway through a Romulan fleet, and at some point, would like to actually play a game with these things.

RomHawks.jpg

The Starmada variant.

I have several Klingon E-4s and E-5s/7s, as well as a D-5 and a D-7.

For feddies I have an old lead (Starline 2200) OCL (which is much nicer than the current one piece casting), 2 CAs, a DN, and 3 FFs

For Romulans I have just a WB

For Gorn I have a BC!

If you lived around here, I would be game for a game...

Damon.

Firestorm Armada is a fun game, and we like the models. Some of us have woefully not painted them yet, :down: but others in the crew are finished, and they sure look good.

I bought the Directorate fleet, and like the game, but I don't plan on buying any more fleets. I'd rather spend my money on other models. 'Not really a sci-fi player as much as I love the fantasy genre.

Snake eyes on the critical hit table however, is enough ka-boom to make any gamer smile.

I have one FSA fleet (Relthoza), and will probably pick up a couple of other starter fleets. (I also have the rules, but no figs, for Dystopian Wars. Same deal will go for them.) I figure, when I head for a con, I can pack up those fleets in a pretty small space, so taking them along gives me an option for another game to play.

(At some point, I might even paint them. Really. Honest. It's on my to-paint list for sometime this year.)