Ferox Posted November 25, 2009 Share Posted November 25, 2009 (I haven't forgotten about Argonnite, Elf Cleric; he's finished, but the photos I just took are horrible. I'll wrap up his WIP thread and post in Show Off a bit later.) I'm going to be playing in a D&D 4E campaign revisiting T1 The Village Of Hommlet. It's going to be awesome, even if we never get to the Temple of Elemental Evil. We're starting at 4th level, and I'm planning to play a human Wis/Int Avenger of Ioun. The character concept I have in mind is a relentlessly nerdy bookish guy who studied at the local Temple of Ioun (goddess of knowledge in the implied setting). While he was there, he discovered that his analytical habits work just as well when applied to Very Large Swords, and did a triple major in history, religion, and melee combat. So I went through the Reaper catalogue looking for appropriate figures, and picked out a few that might work. When I went looking at my FLGS, I couldn't find any of them, and just before I placed an order I had the idea to do an Inquisitor, Malvernis conversion. "Just swap out the staff for a sword," I thought. "What could be easier?" Well, here's what I ended up with. (Sorry about some of the photos; I'm trying a different background with hopes that it won't freak out my camera's sensor quite so much. I'm not there yet.) I clipped the lower part of the staff off, drilled it (poorly; you can see green-stuff covering the side of the hole), and used it as the sword's grip. Similarly, the guard comes from the top of the staff (below the hook), also drilled. I cut, filed, carved, and scraped the blade itself out of 0.040" plasticard. I had to bend the arm up at the elbow and down at the wrist (which required some work with a razor saw) to get it posed properly. Even so, I had to stack the model on a bunch of pennies to fit the sword on the base. The face... well, I wasn't digging the Sub-Zero mask on the original figure all that much. I got the mask off with clippers, but then it took close to an hour with needle files to hollow out the hood. I ended up using my pin vise as an end mill to remove a lot of the material and wishing I'd bought a Dremel. After that, I sliced the face off of an old GW Eldar head and trimmed it to fit. If I had to do it again, I'd file down the thickness even more, but this doesn't look too bad. The plastic face left a noticeable gap at the top of the head, which I filled with green-stuff "hair". I'm planning to do the robes in a nice deep red, the shirt and trousers in ochre, and the gloves, boots, and other bits in brownish leather. Since he's supposed to be wearing cloth "armour" I'm going to try to play down the breastplate/pauldrons/greaves thing the figure has going on. The putty should have cured by about midnight tonight, at which point I'll prime him -- then the real fun can start on Thursday, when the gesso's dry. Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Join the conversation
You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.