Travel/airline question

haldir

Just curious on this one, with the date for RCON 10 up & I'm getting my vacation request typed up right now (yes I need to put it in this early--knowing the way my workplace is). Anyways, I put in Wed 19 to Wed 26 & my flight was around 320 bucks. Now if I put Wed 19 to Monday 24 it's around 380. Anyone know why it jumps up so high? Is it the day of the week (ie more people, more resources used on certain days, etc etc)

(upside of the whole thing I guess, is my flights leave an hour earlier then this year's--not so sure if that's a good thing or not ha ha)

thanks

RM

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Anyways, I put in Wed 19 to Wed 26 & my flight was around 320 bucks. Now if I put Wed 19 to Monday 24 it's around 380. Anyone know why it jumps up so high? Is it the day of the week (ie more people, more resources used on certain days, etc etc)

Simple: based on historical data and other factors, they are expecting more people to travel on Monday rather than Wednesday (which is true almost every day of the week). So, they know that more people are willing to pay higher prices for a ticket on Monday than Wednesday, so there are fewer cheaper fare codes available for Monday than Wednesday.

Ron

sounds right

guess I'll have to do think about how long my trip will be next year I guess. Last couple years it has been Tues to Monday, but I usually go back Tuesday to work & I don't want to do that this time. I guess I got some figurin to do, ha ha

also, ticket prices right now are speculative based on fuel and such.

We went to Hawaii this summer and people paid 2x what we paid and they were far more flexible on their travel dates than we were....and they booked 5 months earlier than we did.

I'm not saying you'll get the same results, but I personally wouldn't be buying tickets this early.

Airlines can and do change how many seats fall into which fare class daily.

Six months out, they might set the initial buckets based on historical trends.

As time gets closer, if the number of seats sold are less than historical trends, they might bump up the number available on the lower end. On the other hand, if it looks like seats are selling out faster than normal, they might decrease the number available on the low end and bump up the number available on the higher end.

My guess is that they adjusted the number of cheap seats available as time got closer since the economy was still going down and people weren't traveling so much.

Ron

PS: About 10 years ago, I used to work for what is now PROS Pricing, which supplies the yield/revenue management software for many of the airlines.

It also depends on how many airlines fly out of your local airport. The less competition a given airline has from that location the more expensive the tickets. Denver tends to be a cheaper starting point for me because all the major airlines fly in and out of Denver. When I had to fly in out of Fresno CA, originally both Frontier and United were available. When Frontier pulled out of the aiport the United tickets shot up $100 a round trip.

Boise isn't a major city (thou they tend to think they are), so there aren't that many flights. I fly Frontier, so really the only choice I have are the early flights, that & I like leaving early morning, as I stay over night in Boise before I make my way down to Denton, that & I wake up early every morning due to my work schedule. Kinda nice this year as I wasn't a zombie in the mornings, ha ha (16+ years on graveyard shift can do that to yah).

I'm not buying now, I tend to buy my ticket when I get my tax return so it'll be awhile. I did notice this year that my ticket got cheaper the later it got to RC date, so I may hold off again. Funny is the cheap option on Frontier is a good price but I tend to take 2 or more bags so the next level is cheaper, even thou the ticket cost more.

Um, I dunno, I just kinda....do it I guess? and it's not like I neglect toiletries or changing clothes. Shampoo and conditioner bars are lifesavers when it comes to getting through security. It's so much easier if you don't have to deal with liquids in the 3oz or less in the quart bag-also, it lets you bring a handful of paints if you need to. I think I can bring about 24ish? Then I do things like use my 'purse' as a second carry on bag, wear layers (even if I take them off as soon as I get on the plane) so I have something like two sweatshirts ON, and then a third in the bag. And as a last resort-I use flat rate shipping boxes to ship what I need to my destination ahead of me. It's cheaper than paying $25 for a bag.

Since I generally combine my trip with a visit to my dad I'm down in Texas for well over a week. I can do the single carry on by doing laundry while I'm there. Simple and easy.

Of course, I've had to bring a checked bag because I have too much other stuff to fit in the carry on but I'm going to be shipping it next year if that's the case. Flat rate boxes are great for sending metal.

I like the layering clothes idea.... I hadn't thought of that. What do you mean by shampoo and conditioner bars? They sell conditioner in a solid form? :blink:

Even with the best of intentions, I always seem to end up with a fat checked bag. I keep saying "but what if I need this? or that? Oh well, better throw it in the bag, just in case." Last time I came to the con I think I packed every single painting do-hickey I own, and used less than 10% of it.

Yeah, I have to change my ways. :down: I am a victim of my own paranoia and the "what if?" monster. I need to take a page from your books and be a carry on only woman. Maybe this year....