Sign in to follow this  
joshuaslater

Orbital Insertion

Just got done braggin' on the phone about my new Kraken. If it's in a Gunship section, can it be orbitally inserted to the battle carrying troops? 'Didn't see anything in the rules saying it couldn't, but Dave seemed to think it was taboo.

I don't have my rules with me, but from what I remember, the rule section on Flights says that any gunships with the Transport SA include their troops as part of the section. The rule on Orbital Insertion just says that you have to upgrade every gunship in the flight.

It's legal, though as currently written I believe the infantry have to be their own section--shammond42 often uses such a setup, but gives the infantry airborne so they can dismount during the transport's action.

It's been a while, but IIRC the flight section rules don't state that infantry are included. It's either that or the flying transports aren't classed as gunships. One of the two was the reason I never took infantry in a flight. I'd have to take a look though.

I actually asked this same question about a year ago and it sp[urred much debate but I believe the final concensus was that you could but the infantry activated as a different section.

I was going under the ruling that a model with dual roles Gunship/Transport is actually both, and didn't see any restrictions on a Gunship transporting infantry with Orbital Insertion.

Again, it's been awhile so it may have been addressed in some form in an errata. Let me see if I can dig up the old thread.

http://www.reapermini.com/forum/index.php?...bital+insertion

http://www.reapermini.com/forum/index.php?...rtion&st=30

The second link covers it in great detail but make sure you read the whole thread because it meanders around two topics. One being Orbital Insertion and the other being damage resolution. If you have questions after these...well God help us all :lol:

I'll read them and pester you guys later!! Thanks for diggin' those up.

The rules are, actually, quite clear. Flight Sections may be orbitally inserted; mechanized infantry sections may not. Therefore, it would seem to me that transports that belong to a mechanized infantry section would not be allowed to be orbitally inserted (giving the onboard infantry the Drop SA, by default).

Please, correct me if I am not interpreting this correctly.

I'll read them and pester you guys later!! Thanks for diggin' those up.

The rules are, actually, quite clear. Flight Sections may be orbitally inserted; mechanized infantry sections may not. Therefore, it would seem to me that transports that belong to a mechanized infantry section would not be allowed to be orbitally inserted (giving the onboard infantry the Drop SA, by default).

Please, correct me if I am not interpreting this correctly.

That is correct. Infantry from a different section, however, CAN start inside the orbital insertion ships.

Thanks for the clarification. Got my Kraken and Fenri primed, and don't want to deploy them for the first time in a boneheaded manner.

See ya Dave.