02717, Dragon of Fire

TaleSpinner

Greetings all.

Well, I have accepted a comission from a friend of mine to paint a dragon. We chose Reaper's Dragon of Fire for the mini. She has given me free reign with it, with the only guidance being that the one it is for likes red or green.

So I am currently assembling it and am not going to post the play-by-play of that process (I had enough of that with Cinder), though I may show some of the base sculpting, if you want to see it. Painting will likely commence after Christmas.

So why am I starting this topic now? Well, I'd really like your thoughts and ideas on a color scheme, patterns, etc for this dragon. I'm toying with doing it similar to how I did Cinder, but with wing mottling like I did last spring on the Chimera. Otherwise, I may add some darker under tones, maybe even black, for a more evil looking dragon.

If I go green, I could do black and green as a central theme, or maybe more woodsy with greens and browns.

So what do you all think. Help me brainstorm. I really want to do a top notch job on this one.

Thanks,

Andy

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I am painting him right now - went with red to orangish on the scales, red to yellow fading on the wings, and black chest plates and fins.

Just a note, though. I glued it down to my wooded pedastil / base already, and then it is a bugger of a time getting the brush underneath the back legs. If I was to go back and do it again, I would base it last.

Also had quite a bit of flash on mine at all the leg joints. thought I got it all, but primers finds all flaws.............

Great timing! There's a Dragon of Fire on my workbench right now, waiting patiently for me to figure out how I want to base it. (Although I may take sethohman's advice and wait 'til it's painted.) I have yet to assemble it, so if you have the time I'd really appreciate a heads-up on any assembly issues you encounter.

As for paint schemes, I think the chimera's mottled wings would go quite well with an evil-themed red. Something about black separating red and orange really clicks for me.

Thanks everyone for the suggestions. Haldir, I especially like the painting you posted. I'm going to have to file that one in my to do later paile, because after further discussion with the client, she decided on a red dragon.

I am going with a body color that has more blue in the red, and bit more on the maroon side than what I used on Cinder, thought he highlight will be essentially the same. The Breast, Wing membranes, and spine membranes will be the cooler Khaki triad. The wings will be mottled similar to what I did on the Chimera.

Thanks,

Andy

Hour 1 through 3:

post-140-1263181182.jpg

post-140-1263181187.jpg

post-140-1263181195.jpg

post-140-1263181202.jpg

Not a lot to look at here. I prepared, pined and glued, and crack filled at this point. Some of the joints had substantial gaps and I did a quite a bit of sculpting on this one. The mini also has a few inherent flaws:

1. The breast plate where the neck meets the body lines up flush with the next and needed a lift.

2. The belly plates were malformed and needed a total resculpt.

3. The right wing had a larger area of muscle and scales than the left, so I ended up adding definition to the left to make them match.

4. The whole model leans on its base and cannot be bent right. I'll address this when I base it.

I will be basing this mini after I paint it since getting to several areas will be difficult if the base is attached.

Have a good night,

Andy