02717, Dragon of Fire

TaleSpinner

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Not a lot to look at here. I prepared, pined and glued, and crack filled at this point. Some of the joints had substantial gaps and I did a quite a bit of sculpting on this one. The mini also has a few inherent flaws:

1. The breast plate where the neck meets the body lines up flush with the next and needed a lift.

2. The belly plates were malformed and needed a total resculpt.

3. The right wing had a larger area of muscle and scales than the left, so I ended up adding definition to the left to make them match.

4. The whole model leans on its base and cannot be bent right. I'll address this when I base it.

That seems like quite a few defects. :unsure: Do you think the problems were caused by the original sculptor or are they casting problems? I've read dragons always take more work than other figures, but have only my current project for comparison.

By the way, what is your technique for sculpting scales? They seem to have come out very well and you got it done quickly, too.

Not a lot to look at here. I prepared, pined and glued, and crack filled at this point. Some of the joints had substantial gaps and I did a quite a bit of sculpting on this one. The mini also has a few inherent flaws:

1. The breast plate where the neck meets the body lines up flush with the next and needed a lift.

2. The belly plates were malformed and needed a total resculpt.

3. The right wing had a larger area of muscle and scales than the left, so I ended up adding definition to the left to make them match.

4. The whole model leans on its base and cannot be bent right. I'll address this when I base it.

That seems like quite a few defects. :unsure: Do you think the problems were caused by the original sculptor or are they casting problems? I've read dragons always take more work than other figures, but have only my current project for comparison.

By the way, what is your technique for sculpting scales? They seem to have come out very well and you got it done quickly, too.

1, 3, and 4 seem to be issues with the sculpt. 2 was a casting defect.

I put the putty down and get it pressed onto the model. I then poke at it and smooth it with a dental pick and sculpting tool until it looks like I want it to. I know that that is extremely unhelpful, but I'm not sure what else to say, as I am not a sculpter, and I just sort of work it until it looks right to me. Use water to keep the tool from sticking while sculpting.

Andy

Hours 6 and 7:

post-140-1263266307.jpg

post-140-1263266310.jpg (Note how the model leans)

post-140-1263266316.jpg (human figure added on request)

(Funny how the khaki made the maroon look more purple)

I painted the ventral scales and membranes with Khaki Shadow, 2+ coats. I then worked a bit on the head. Still basically roughing everything in and developing my paint scheme.

I'm trying to figure out what color to use for the dorsal and head spines. I was thinking black, but on the head they blend into the face. I could do a blend from red to black at the tips. What do you think?

Thanks for all of the comments and support thus far. You guys really add to my enjoyment of the hobby! ::):

Andy

I think he looks great so far. I have a friend who insists that he'll make me paint him a dragon someday. After painting him a lizardman, I'm not so enthused. Now, here you are, taking on your second dragon in a matter of months. I don't know how you do it!

Anyway, the lizardman I painted has a red scheme, so in case is provides even a small modicum of inspiration, here's a link.

I think he looks great so far. I have a friend who insists that he'll make me paint him a dragon someday. After painting him a lizardman, I'm not so enthused. Now, here you are, taking on your second dragon in a matter of months. I don't know how you do it!

Anyway, the lizardman I painted has a red scheme, so in case is provides even a small modicum of inspiration, here's a link.

Its a quite a bit smaller than Cinder though, and I like dragons. The psycho part is that I am taking on another RED dragon. I'm getting a bit sick of that color. That's probably why I'm pulling this one a bit cooler in the color than I did Cinder.

That is a seriously sweet lizard man. Don't know how I missed it when you posted it the first time through (if you did, though I think I remember the beginning of it as a WIP, yes?). I do tend to get tunnel visioned when I'm on a project. Seriously, the highlighting you did on its scales is excellent!

Andy

He's not quite as big as I first thought but still a large chunk of metal nonetheless.

Tell me about it! I just finished painting his mouth and eyes and now my thumb is all cramped from holding him.

Thanks for all the advice, everyone. I went deep purple as a base on the back spines. We'll see what they get highlighted to.

I am going to try really hard to have the last 3 hours of painting posted tonight. Barring any major kid issues, that should be doable.

I have to say though, I am not getting burned out on this one like I have on dragons I've done in the past. So far, my enthusiasm for painting him is still pretty high. That may change as I get to the endless highlighting of the body and wings, but so far so good.

Andy