Nanite

I;ve come to the conclusion that Avatar is the Saving Private Ryan of Sci-Fi movies. Sure it's cliche and ultimately simplistic, but it's rendered with such loving care and attention to detail that it defied my cynicism.

Seriously, I bought into 10' tall, blue, noble-savage-cliche, cat-people. The effects really are impressive, I think it's worth seeing on the big screen.

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

It's going to lose a lot on the small screen. The movie felt like a Frank R Paul cover come to life. I want to see Cameron do Princess of Mars, like right now. Then some Dragon Riders of Pern movies.

Avatar was what George Lucas promised Episode One would be.

And this is coming from a person that really dislikes Titanic. I'm still kinda shocked at how Avatar undermined my cynicism.

I hated Titanic with a passion that, to be honest, bordered on the pathological, but I still plan on seeing Dances with Smurfs on the big screen. (Or is it The Last SIMurai?) Like Sgt Crunch, one big draw is that it is neither a sequel, nor a remake, so there is at least the thin veneer of originality present.

I have heard the story is predictable, with a couple significant plot holes, but that the effects are great. Plus, it's long - so it's a good amount of time away from the kids. ;)

The aliens were pretty much just rip-offs of any generic Native American tribe, but I could have cared less. The movie was a blast and if you see it in 2D you're robbing yourself of a true movie-going experience. Even with the movie theaters charging $3+ more for the 3D version I'm considering going back to watch it a second time soon.

I'm going back and forth between taking my 8 year old to see it tho. He'd love most of it, but I'm pretty sure he'd get scared during that scene where Jake spends his first night in the jungle, and possibly a few others too. :-\

Depending on how desensitized your kids are, they might get scared. The theater was packed with littles that I thought were to young for the movie.

And did I mention how great the action scenes were? Cameron still knows how to action.

I didn't pay any more for 3D; what horrible theaters do you have in your area?

Actually I went to what used to be the best (IE nice theater w/the lowest prices) place in town. I took a consultant along from my new job - he's from Jersey and was saying how it was $12 a ticket back there and I was like you'll love this then, its only $7.50. I walk up to the ticket booth and bam! $11! I was told they just raised prices 3 weeks ago and the 3D version had a surcharge (I'm assuming for glasses). I've gone to prolly a half dozen 3D kids movies there over the past year and never had to pay extra, so I don't know what's up. Maybe new management?

I heard that the theater across the river is showing it on their IMAX screen, so if I go see it again it'll be over there. ::):

I went to a regular ol' 2d viewing as we don't have a 3d screen here.

I went thinking that this would be a fairly terrible Sci-fi experience. I totally bought into it like 5 minutes in. Some of the plot points where a bit of a stretch and I think they could have went at least a slightly different way with the Na"Vi. The characters where pretty one dimensional and the story was very predictable from the very first introduction of each character.

I came out and thought to myself "that was OK, but not 5 stars for sure." Then I realized I had spent 3 hours glued to my seat and even watching in 2d and being as jaded as I am, i was still weaving, holding my breath and gripping the seat on some of the scenes.

For sure i will find a 3d theater within driving distance and see it again, even at a higher price.

I'll probably see it sometime this weekend or next... It'll be pretty, for sure. Plot I'm not much concerned about - anything animated I pretty much figure they're going to sacrifice story for the "ooh... purty!" so I never go see animated films expecting much of a story beyond something basic to hang the special effects on.

So, if I go and see it, I'll be perfectly content to sit there for a few hours and see pretty colors.

All the previews had me wondering "why all the FUJI-film colors?" and a JC interview talked about color choices revolving around the native skintone... made sense... sort of "Ooooh I've got all this new hardware, I'm going to play with it to impress you!" and it was fairly impressive...

My summary: Nothing new on plot or writing (JC said it was a 10+ year old script to start), but still a fun movie.