Nanite

Wow. Saw it last night. Imax 3d was sold out but regular 3d was amazing even after standing in line for an hour. Sure, some of the critiques are accurate, but the predictable parts turn out the way you want them to (though not every single time), and the characters who've appeared in dozens of movies before with different names and actors work as well here as anywhere else. You're paying for a mindblowing visual experience here, and man does it deliver. I actually managed to stay awake through the whole movie, which has been a rare experience for me over the past decade or so (gettin' old, I guess). I'd even consider going again, although there are a few other movies out I also want to see... so that may not happen.

Kang

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

If I were to recommend a movie out of the history of cinema to watch in a theater, it would be this one....based purely on the cinematography. I think anyone who misses it is robbing themselves of a rare movie-going experience.

My friends were going to wait until DVD and I promptly told them "No."

I was also one of those skeptical ones that had little hope for it.

I've heard from several people that Avatar is Fern Gully with Space Marines but I thought it was really well done. It was far better than the stupid romance of Titanic (gag!) I was skeptical because I am not a fan of Cameron's work but Avatar is worth seeing in 3D. It was really really good and the 3D makes you feel like you are there. Both Darryl and I started a bit when a barrel comes flying at the audience in a fight scene.

The message while simple is an important one, maybe I appreciate the movie because I appreciate the message--take care of our planet and our planet will take care of you. Nature is something to be respected and there is too much waste in our world and tearing down of beautiful natural structures to put up ugly man made ones.

Plus the Pandora is a really cool planet! I want to live there! ::):

The aliens were pretty much just rip-offs of any generic Native American tribe, but I could have cared less. The movie was a blast and if you see it in 2D you're robbing yourself of a true movie-going experience. Even with the movie theaters charging $3+ more for the 3D version I'm considering going back to watch it a second time soon.

I'm going back and forth between taking my 8 year old to see it tho. He'd love most of it, but I'm pretty sure he'd get scared during that scene where Jake spends his first night in the jungle, and possibly a few others too. :-\

Scratch Native American to hunter gatherer--it was very typical of any hunter gatherer tribe make up in the world. If I were to teach an Anthropology class I would assign this movie for homework and expect an essay on the social anthropology of the Na'vi. It was informative to someone not overly familiar with nomadic tribe structure/interaction.

We saw it last night. I thought it was ok, not great. Not sure the 3d version was any better than regular film. Yeah, the scenery was pretty, though I think I liked the look of the spaceship interiors better than all the greenery. Lot of cool effects they did for the displays and equipment. The plot was predictable and the 2nd half of the story got stupid in places. Over all it was entertaining enough and I don't regret seeing it, but I wouldn't pay to watch it again.