Sign in to follow this  
dks

60002 Ezren, iconic Pathfinder wizard

This figure will probably appear in the official Reaper/Pathfinder Gallery soon, but here's another chance to see it.

In case you haven't seen it, the character portrait by Wayne Reynolds is here: Link to Image

On this figure, I puttied over the sculpted border of the tunic, so I could simply scribble it freehand instead of trying to follow the sculpted detail.

The silver-snake detail on the staff is all freehand.

I carved down the forearms a bit, since they seemed to have billows and folds like sleeves, but I wanted to follow the original art and make them bare skin.

post-2358-1262227047_thumb.jpg

Enjoy,

Derek

• Like 5

That is awesome, the face actually has expression as if he's mentally casting a spell. The snake staff is really cool, what a great idea. I really admire how all the several parts are highlighted almost all the way to white, really striking outcome. Also like the green in the staff, different than the standard brown.

great job as always!

It turns out my old RPG game group up north is playing Pathfinder these days. I told them they should buy the models to play with! :)

Thanks for the post... always inspirational

pez :zombie:

Stunning as always! That staff is really something, and his face/hair are marvelous - his expression is very intense, fitting for a master Wizard!

Y'know, Derek, one of these days you'll post a mini where I'll won't say to myself "WOW...how the...????"

Today is not that day, so might as well get to it:

"WOW...how the...???"

:poke:

Derek, you never fail to amaze and inspire. Fantastic work, as always. Most outstanding: the face. Part of this may be due to a nicely detailed and expressive sculpt, but you really brought it out without overdoing the wrinkles and shadows. The staff is simply a work of art. The details of pouches, belts and 'fiddly bits', even the fingernails, are all treated with skill and precision. The conversions are flawless. And as usual, your use of color overall and smooth painting are just stunning.

Vell vell Herr Schubert..... Vat have we heyah eh? AAaahhh.... A very nace eksampel off yuer demokratically assigned vokational skills yes? But vat is dis?? I see you have altered ze prrojekt to suit yuer own Amerikaner Kapitalistik prrreferrenzes yes? Vell zis is inakzeptabel! You must revert ze figur BACK to it's original state as per de rules undt regulations of der SchwartzenheimerfrunderangensssshhhhpeilerstaT!!! UMGEHEND!!! Or fas ze konzeqvences.....

Undt zis time! Hans VILL NOT remove his signet ring furst!!!

Thanks for the comments and compliments.

I think the staff has some green in it in Wayne Reynolds's painting -- maybe it's just black, but I played up the green anyway.

It took a few tries to get the eyes to be even, and to balance the blue iris with the black pupil and white highlight.

Here's a close-up shot:

post-2358-1262301225.jpg

You can see that the blends aren't smooth, but as I mention in my "Good Fast Painting" classes: I prefer to get the contrast right, even if the gradations are rough.

He was a fast paint, at about 8 hours of painting plus a few hours of prepping/converting/priming/basing.

I'm aiming to get 4 figures painted this week while the office is closed, so each one is getting the 8-hour treatment. ::):

By the way, somebody check Tre' (SIGIL) for Swine Flu. Or maybe he started hitting the New Year's Eve champagne a little early. Whatever the case, something just ain't right with that boy's brain today. :;):

Derek

• Like 1

_ :unsure: _ :blink:

Vell vell Herr Schubert..... Vat have we heyah eh? AAaahhh.... A very nace eksampel off yuer demokratically assigned vokational skills yes? But vat is dis?? I see you have altered ze prrojekt to suit yuer own Amerikaner Kapitalistik prrreferrenzes yes? Vell zis is inakzeptabel! You must revert ze figur BACK to it's original state as per de rules undt regulations of der SchwartzenheimerfrunderangensssshhhhpeilerstaT!!! UMGEHEND!!! Or fas ze konzeqvences.....

Undt zis time! Hans VILL NOT remove his signet ring furst!!!

read aloud to the finace' with exaggerated accent to add unnecessary inflection. A fit of giggles ensued. :rolleyes:

Thanks for the holiday laugh.

pez :zombie:

This is a perfect example of why I was so excited to get a seat in your "Painting Faces" class at ReaperCon last year. Brilliant!