Princess of Mars

rgtriplec

It came out Tuesday on video. Wow, that was a bad movie. There is definitely a reason it was direct 2 video release. I'm just glad ERB is already dead, because that thing would have killed him.

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Real version is supposed to be worked on in a year or so, I have heard. Mixture of live action / CG, with Disney in the works.

No clue on the authenticity of that info, though. But I still may check this out, bad B-movies are still good!

I read that too. "John Carter of Mars" is supposed to be the big Disney release of 2012, but it has been optioned since 97 and has been in and out of pre-production since 2006. So, who knows.

The cool thing about the "Princess of Mars" is that it is a public domain usage vs the erb estate battle. I'm rooting for public domain myself.

Andrew Stanton (of Finding Nemo and Wall-E fame) is at the helm. That's good enough reason to be optimistic.

I read he was writing and directing.

"The classic story that inspired James Cameron's Avatar"

I watched Avatar and I have read Princess and a few other Barsoom novels. I saw no similarities. I think humans on another planet has already been seen once or twice in sci-fi films...

Also, it stars Traci Lords. If I want to see a sci-fi movie primarily for the babe factor, I'll hunt down Jolene Blalock's Starship Troopers sequel.

Still, I'd watch this movie, at least until the "real" one comes out, just to see it.

"The classic story that inspired James Cameron's Avatar"

I watched Avatar and I have read Princess and a few other Barsoom novels. I saw no similarities. I think humans on another planet has already been seen once or twice in sci-fi films...

Also, it stars Traci Lords. If I want to see a sci-fi movie primarily for the babe factor, I'll hunt down Jolene Blalock's Starship Troopers sequel.

Still, I'd watch this movie, at least until the "real" one comes out, just to see it.

Well, Cameron is the one who brought the ERB comparison's into it when he said the movie was loosely based on "Princess". But it's kind of hard to miss some of it: human guy in an alien world, becomes one of them, falls in love with a royal, helps aliens win a war and there are other little bits but that is the core of both the book and Avatar. Cameron didn't want it to be ERB but similar. Just as Alien's is Starship Troopers that Cameron put his own slant on.

Just as Alien's is Starship Troopers that Cameron put his own slant on.

I think you lost me here. How is Aliens Cameron's version of Starship Troopers? There's none of the Libertarianism, powered armor, or social philosophy in the movie. At best it's a superficial parallel (humans vs bugs), and that's a real stretch IMHO.

Damon.