Meridh

longthorns and swordsman

Troop 2:

Some captain

some archers

some caster

(sorry for the lack of detail)

Turn one:

Elves got first two initiatives and moved in the center with the longthorns up front

I split my troop went right, and left on the table to use cover and to sweep into the longthorns

Turn two:

I get initiative and have Omber casts Incite and I engage the swordsmen and longthorns.

He forgets to attack with his archers (His first game in a long while) Casts chain lightning and ouch does that hurt

Lurgh moves up. (I played him kind of deep)

At the end I loose 2 fighters and he loses 3 longthorns and 1 swordsman.

Turn three:

I get initiative. Omber dominates Meridh. I send Meridh into the caster and wound it. I then send Narg into B2B with Meridh and caster. Narg is able to dispatch both but takes some wounds from defensive strikes. (He also got hit with the chain lightning so he's not doing well.) Everyone else dances and it plays out that I eliminate all the longthorns and swordsmen, but am left with only 2 fighters and one berserker, and Omber. Archers take out Narg and boy are tough checks harder to make than I hoped. Lurgh takes some potshots and fails.

Turn four I lose initiative and all my guys fall to a rain of arrows.

So as far as what I learned.

-Don't charge troops with Pike S.A.

-Don't send your wounded leader out without cover.

-I played all offense. Like our high school football couch I told them to hand it off and run it up the middle.

-There was a lot of terrain on the field. at first I thought it would protect me from archers. But it allowed his melee units to plug up the lanes and forced me to soften up for the archers. Maybe a more defensive tactic would be better.

We started at 4 and finished at 5:30. A good time was had. Love to hear any thoughts.

Cheers

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well, initial read has me seeing that it seems like a decent game by both sides, not one sided.

Second thing I see is that you used the incite to go after soldier models. Not sure if you could have targeted the caster or archers with that extra charge range, but I think you can see that if you could have, it would have been worth it.

Third, chain lightning does hurt... if you keep your guys together. Spread out a bit and chain lightning becomes much less affective.

Don't discount the size of the table. Especially if you are playing against elves with their long range bows. On top of that, you talked about lots of cover, but again, elves have indirect shot, so that cover doesn't do much to help you.

Its hard to give lots of advice after only one game. It sounds like you had a good game and learned a few lessons that will help you in your next game.

I look forward to hearing more from the next game.

My best advice is to not wholesell change your list up dramatically, maybe swap a model or two, but overall, keep the same lists and play a few more games with the same lists, so that you can get a better feel for how they play. Some people might suggest all sorts of different models to take or not (like swapping Lurgh and 1 BO Fighter for Nhoolyan and two goblin Rangers), but I personally think that your goal should be to learn and not just try to win. Every model brings its own flavor to the game.

Lastly, you didnt mention whether you were or were not playing with the faction doctrines and special abilities, but seeing that you have the berserkers, dont forget about the FA Tenacious if you are playing with them.

Fear not! You'll get the hang of the Reven. Sounds like you're already thinking smart - from your battle report you used Ombur's spells quite a bit, and that's a good thing. Taking a melee army against a ranged army in a new game is always tricky. I remember my first game against a Razig gun line. I played it safe and tried to move my models behind cover and took 2 or 3 whole turns of sneaking up before I decided I really needed to get up in their face and start attacking, but by then he'd whittled me down to the point that I couldn't really get enough force behind the charge to do anything.

Another time I decided it would be fun to try out the low armored fast models, and to my dismay my opponent fielded a solid line of Overlord Crossbowmen with a few Warriors standing guard, and Corvis overseeing the turkey shoot. I think one model made it into b2b... This was way back in Original Warlord where one wound killed pretty much everything, which made it somewhat easier on my opponent.

I've finally settled upon having my high DV models up front to take the shots and rushing as fast as I can at the archers. It mostly works. Some models bite it hard on the way in, but there's nothing you can do about that (except perhaps have a healer waiting in the wings!) Elves of course have Indirect Shot and can get to our squishies in the back either way... and Reven has a rough time fielding soldiers with higher than 10 DV (only 4 soldier types have 10 or higher, and they're all 30+ points. You've got the Bull Orc Fighters, so you're all set there, you've got the best bet for defensive Orc).

Also, props for using Lurg. I think he's a fantastic model. Very good looking, and he can really lay down the hurt in a hurry, especially if you use him as a leader hunter.

Well... My second Warlord game.... I lost.... But I almost won.

OK 500 pt reven vs Elves

on a standard 4x4 table

Reven

Troop 1

Narg

Omber

3 Bull Orc Berserkers

1 Bull Orc Archer

Troop 2

Karg

3 Bull Orc Fighters

2 Bull Orc Archers

Elves

Troop 1

Selwyn

Ardynn

5 Archers

3 long thorns

Troop 2

Meridh

3 warriors

3 long thorns

(or something to that effect, I really should get his army list)

Alright today's strategy was to use my troop 2 to tie up his troop 2 using my archers to both soften up and force them to get into b2b with me instead of me charging his longthorns. Meanwhile my troop 1 crosses the field, uses an incite from Omber to get into B2B with his archers and do what berserkers do best.

Turn 1:

My troop one gets first initiative. This flusters me because I wanted to have troop two out front to intercept archer fire. So I run troop one into the center of the field behind a nice big hill. Elf melee go next and make like they will intercept my berserkers, so I send my second troop over there hoping to tie them up in turn two.

Turn 2:

Rather then face my whole army far away from his archers the elf melee troop backs off. I lose an archer to his archers. I continue to move into position.

Turn 3:

I lose a fighter, get some of my troop 2 into B2B and my troop 1 gets moved some more. They are really hung up by terrain. Elves don't really do much. He again forgets about his caster.

Turn 4:

I get Karg and the rest of troop 1 in B2B with his archers, no attacks but they can't fire. Karg falls but takes out Selwyn with defensive strikes. I'm also able to take out an archer. Omber heals a fighter to keep 3 elves in b2b. We recognize that this will turn into a points game.

Turn 5:

I finally get my Berserkers into combat. Narg is too far away to do anything. Omber heals the last fighter from troop 2, no domination from his this time because the meridh had an elven cloak and I didn't have confidence that one of his warriors would be able to take out meridh. who then gets taken out. One berserker makes his tough check. I take out a couple warriors and a longthorn. and we add up the points.

-My troop 1 did not lose a man so I had 292 points. He had 318. This means that if I was able to get one more of his archers, or if I made one more tough check/ he low rolls on an attack I would have gotten the W.

-I like having two troops of units vs 1 troop and Lurg. Though I'm not sure if my archers did what I wanted. They just can't compete with elf archers and they have fewer damage tracks. I'm wondering what would happen if I replace them with hunters.

-My friend says that I would do well with adding a screen of goblins or orcs. However I don't really like that idea of throwing away points on one track meat shields, especially playing on a 4x4 surface. I just feel like there will be a way for me to get to my guys where they need to go. Maybe. when I can afford them I might get some beastmen... or maybe some goblin rangers

-I think where I failed is that he moved his melee units away from his archers. I should have just booked it across and gotten to his archers, even if that puts me in LOS and short range for one or even two turns. His archers only have one attack and I have 3 tracks.

-we got another get together on Sunday, where I will be playing some dwarves and another player.

Turn 1:

My troop one gets first initiative. This flusters me because I wanted to have troop two out front to intercept archer fire.

I think you might be confused on how initiative works--initiative cards aren't attached to a particular troop. Each troop can only act once per turn, but you pick which troop activates when one of your cards comes up.

Vil is correct.

When you draw your card, you are drawing your team's card, not an individual troops card. Even with tactician cards, they can be used to activate troops that dont have tacticians in them, cause after all, when its just a team card, how do you know which is the tactician and which is a regular troop card.

My group prefers to the method of drawing beads out of a dice bag. Shuffling is easier, faster, and more reliable. Just have to make sure that your beads have the same size and shape so that you cant "brail" your way to cheating.

My troops consisted of the following:

Troop #1 :

Selwyn

Ardynn

5 Archers

3 long thorns

Troop #2:

Meridh

4 warriors

2 long thorns

Actually what made it a very close game towards the end was the Tough roll his Orc Fighter made. Much to my dismay. I actually did forget to move Ardynn but I do not believe it would have made that great of a difference. Also my tactic was to draw off 1/2 of his force with the Troop #2. It did work for 2 Turns. I just misjudged the distance his Orcs could move. All in all a good game. Plus I rolled like 4 1's in a row at crucial points.

Victory is mine. My third game.

It's very different playing against dwarves. He had 3 troops(warrior, piercer, swift axe) to my two (see previous army). I really like how the field was set up. We had a hill each that crossed over our deployment zones which pretty much made the 18 or so inches between them a meat grinder. At the start I send Narg and my Berserkers down into the center. Karg and my Fighters go right. while my Archers and Omber get into position on the hill. in my perspective the swift axes go right like they will intercept my fighters. Narg gets inferno'd. And the piercers and warriors get into position.

The next turn starts off with Narg getting inferno'd again. Omber Dispels the Burnings & Stun as Narg and the Berserkers make their way across. Karg and the Fighters head for the valley in hopes of drawing the Swift Axes into the killing field. They don't follow and instead half go after go after my archers and the rest go B2B with my berserkers. Some folks get hit by arrows and bolts (deflect works wonders on both sides) while the Dwarf Warriors engage my Berserkers and Narg. The first Dwarves fall, I have yet to take a casualty.

At turn three I get the next two initiatives. Omber does a mass heal on Narg and two Berserkers. I'm able to put my fighters and Karg and a Berserker on his last DT up on the hill. The fighters get into B2B with the piercers and the berserker gets into B2B with the Dwarf warcaster. My archers are now taking shots at the swift axes and they are hitting. I start taking hits, the war caster finishes off the berserker, the dwarf captain (the dame with the smite reven ability) puts some hurt on my people, and the dwarf warriors handle themselves well. I start taking casualties but the words of the day are defensive strikes. My berserker frenzies and takes out the 3 DT warcaster. Woo hoo!a couple of piercers and warriors fall as well.

Turn 4

Omber dominates the Dwarf sergeant leading the swift axes and has him run away. The swift axes take my hill but are wounded from the archers, and fall to shots or Defensive strikes. Narg and the berserkers finish off the sergeants and his swift axes. The dwarf captain falls but it takes Karg and two fighters to do it, 7 attacks at MAV4, that woman is well built. At the end of turn four Dwarves are down to one piercer and so we call it quits.

In analysis I got lucky with some early initiatives and good rolling. This was also my friends fist game so he didn't use all the S.A.'s he had available to him. In the future I see this becoming a much closer battle

:wow: So this Sunday (1/17) I played against Matt's Dwarves. So it was the pointy eared gits v.s. the bearded moles. :)

So my army remained the same as before:

Troop #1 :

Selwyn

Ardynn

5 Archers

3 long thorns

Troop #2:

Meridh

4 warriors

2 long thorns

Matt's Dwarves consisted of:

Troop#1:

Freya

Gibin Runesplunker (substituted mimi for Logan's)

4 Dwarven Warrior

Troop #2:

Tohil Steadyhand

3 Dwarven Piercers

Troop #3:

Gargam Heavyhand

4 Swift Axes

After set up and deployment, the Dwarves get the first move. Troop #1 moves into cover and wait. Luck of the draw, Dwarves go again. He moves the Dwarves towards the center hill, in LOS of my Elven archers and oddly enough out in the open. My go, I fire at the Piercer's Sergeant and drop him w/ four hits at long range. I move my archers to the western edge of the hill I deployed them on. Ardynn blinks towards the center hill. The two of the three long thorns move to a forward position for a screen. Draw is my second troop of Vale warriors, who run to the left to try and catch the long axes on the move. His final move, he charges the Swift axes my direction.

Turn 2: The Elves get lucky and get to go first. I chose to fire at the Piercers and have a shot at Freya. another piercer goes down and I wound another. At long range the Dwarves shake their fist furiously at the Elves. The shot at Freya is deflected. The Archers move towards the center hill or the western edge of the hill they were deployed on. The long thorn's fall back to form a plug between the two hills. Ardynn blinks to get closer to the Vale Warriors. Dwarves get a shot at doing some damage. The Dwarven Warriors and Freya speed towards the Elves, damn their extra 3 inches on a run! Gilgin tries for a fireball but is 3 inches to short to hit anything. The Piercers go and get a chance to shot at the Elves after moving. One Elven archer goes down to a roll of a ten (for a total of 13). The return fire missed. The Swift Axes charge and slam into a Valelongthorn. His pike strikes a wound and he receives one in return. The other hits Meridh and no damage dealt either way. However the sergeant and other two opted to try and sneak around for a rear attack. The Vale warriors and two longthorns attack the Dwarves. After much swinging one of the Swift Axes goes down but so does Meridh!!!

Turn #3: Again Lady Luck stays w/ the Elves!!! The Archers choose to fire at the Dwarven Warriors out in the open. Focusing, they let loose a hail of arrows! All in all two wounds, While Selwyn manages to only to wound a Dwarven Piercer in the open. Protecting the Archers, the long thorns charged the wounded warriors, coming into base to base contact w/ 2 warrior each. They each wounded a warrior, and managed to survive the fight. Ardynn blinked into position and cast Chain Lightning on Gargam and the two other Swift Axes. He managed to wound the Sergeant and one of the Swift Axes. On the Dwarves turn the Swift Axe troop chose to charge the Vale Warriors except one brave sole who goes after Ardynn. After much swinging and swearing the Sergeant and the Swift Axe fall to the ground in defeat. Though a Vale Longthorn falls as well. The Dwarven Piercers make the hill, one shots at a Vale Warrior causing a wound and an other shoots at Selwyn. I shake my head as the roll is a ten. Two wounds, of all the luck. Return fire drops the bearded bastich!!

Turn#4: The Dwarves go first, and despite a clear line of attack from the Swift axe on Selwyn, attack w/ their warriors. Things go badly for the Long thorns and they drop but take a warrior w/ them. Freya charges up the middle but falls short of any elves. One Dwarven warrior get into b2b contact w/ an Vale Archer. The Elves get super lucky and go next. Selwyn moves to the top of the hill and fires at the Dwarven caster as do 2 other archers. One archer moves and Ardynn blinks into B2B contact w/ the Swift Axe! The single Elven Archer fires and hits the Dwarven Swift axe and Ardynn hits twice. The Dwarf's luck failed him and missed both attacks. The lone remaining Vale Longthorn charges and holds the remaing loose Dwarven warrior and Freya in place. He gets lucky and wounds the resilient Freya!! In return he receives a wound himself. Selwyn and the two archers drop Gibin with 4 hits!!! The archer in hand to hand does not wound the Dwarven warrior and takes a single hit! The Elves Vale Warriors move to aid their brethren. A Warrior charges the Lone Dwarven Piercer that wounded him earlier and takes him out. All others make a straight line for the fight.

Turn # 5: The Dwarves stubbornly refuse defeat!! The Dwarven warrior fighting the Archer presses his attacks and misses both times. As does the beleaguered Archer. Freya and the other Dwarven Warrior fell the Vale Longthorn. Both move towards the Archers. The Elven Archers fire at Freya! The deflect makes it hard but she receives two more wounds!! Selwyn back further away from this persistent opponent! Ardynn blinks towrds the battle! However, the Vale Warriors charge into the fray! When the dust settled, the remaining Dwarves fell to bright Elven blades. All in all a good battle, as many of the warriors had one wound each and I constantly kept the Archers on the move for 3 out of 5 turns!

Great game Matt and we'll see what Abe's Mercenary forces do! I'm sure it will be tons of havoc!!!

So we had a couple games this past week. A 500 pt. Mercs vs Dwarves where the Mercs won out on points after turn 5. The second was our first 750 point game and that really starts to open things up for the elves and the Bull Orcs since this is the first time a warlord took the field.

Elves:

Troop#1:

Selwyn

2 Hunting Cats

5 Archers

2 Vale Longthorns

Paruhain, Elven Monk

Troop #2:

Meridh

4 warriors

Troop #3:

Raynor, Royal Blademaster

3 Vale Longthorns

2 Royal Blademaster

Ardynn

Troop #4:

Silvermane - Unicorn

Orcs:

Troop #1

Varaug the Great, Bull Orc

Ombur Skulltooth, Bull Orc

6 Bull Orc Fighter

4 Bull Orc Berserker

Troop #2

Kharg, Bull Orc

5 Bull Orc Hunter

Book of Tactics

Deployment:

Elves are on Northern border stretched in a single line across the deployment zone all troops intermingled. Orcs are packed in the center of DZ with Kharg and his hunters on the flanks.

At the conclusion of turn one we knew this would be a bloody slug fest. The cats rangered out to the East. The Unicorn blinks to the Western border while the Longthorns, Blademasters, and Raynor head into the center. A large building divides the elf foot soldiers (this turns out to be important) Varaug sends his troop up the middle with Kharg and the Hunters protecting their Eastern flank. The elf arrows fly early and hit some marks.

Turn two has the cats tearing into the hunters who were surprisingly resilient even dropping a cat. A whirlwind sends bull orcs flying mostly to the elves favor. Omber responds by inciting his orcs which leads to some B2B but land nothing as the Orc leader can't roll for crap. (this changes as I switch dice) At the end of the turn the orcs would not quit as I was nailing the tough saves. The Unicorn swoops in on Omber but misses.

Turn three sees Omber break away from the Unicorn to mass heal some Orcs. The Unicorn then comes in and takes out Omber, mighty and cleave suck. Elves fall left and right while Bull orcs make tough saves like you wouldn't believe. The hunters take out the remaining cat and come into B2B with the Unicorn. Kharg falls but takes Meridh with him. A frenzied Berserker butchers Ardyn and makes his tough roll again. Varaug ends Reynor though pays heavily with 3 hits, he now only has 1 left and no Omber to heal him. Though tough checks were made the orcs still suffer enough losses to make victory seem very far away.

Turn four sees the end of Varaug though he takes Selwyn and Paruhain with him, which means everyone with a name is no more. The 2 Bull Ord Fighters dispatch of the Unicorn and look at a battle field where they and a hunter are the only green skins on the field while there are still a couple Longthorns, a blade master and a couple archers safe and unharmed on the other side of the large building. At this point the orcs concede the battle.

This goes to show that the elves can slug it with the best of them. These were some down and dirty elves that I was not expecting to see. 750 points is so much more fun then 500, and we can't wait to go to 1000.