Golrick Mercenary and Ork Warboss

pez5767

Hey all,

Wow! there is some really great stuff showing up here in the show off section!

With Golrick I continued to work with my NMMs to get them to shine... not there yet, but one day. This was also my first ever sculpted base... I was pretty happy with the end result. Heavily inspired by Derek's base work on this one. Also, following Derek's lead, I tried to limit my paint time on the Golrick Mercenary model to about 8 hours. Not counting the basing, I think I was actually a little under that number.

The Ork Warboss is for my Ork 40k army. He took quite a bit more time and had some subtle conversion work from head to toe. I was pretty happy with his results. It was fun to play with real metalics again.

Any criticisms are always welcome as well as any other comments you might have.

Thanks for looking!

pez :zombie:

post-4760-1262738850_thumb.jpg

post-4760-1262738866_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Did you sculpt the base out of greenstuff?

The base is GW green stuff. Rolled up a big ball then went to work with the sculpting tool. I've found an actual stone helps to get a little real texture going rather than leaving them 100% smooth.

thanks for the feedback

:zombie:

Beautiful job on the Ork. Your color choices look really natural, and the painting is fabulous. I could never pull that off in just 8 hours. The only thing I'd improve is the yellow, which looks a bit flat to me. A little more variation between light and dark there and he will really come to life. (Well, he already really comes to life, so I guess he'd go berserk or something.) Anyway, truly fantasic ork.

Your NMM is good. The placement of highlights and shadows looks right, and your blends are fairly smooth. You're right about not quite getting it to shine. For that, I suggest a few really tight, bright highlights of pure white in key spots. Otherwise, great job on this piece as well.

Beautiful job on the Ork. Your color choices look really natural, and the painting is fabulous. I could never pull that off in just 8 hours.

Neither could I! The ork took a lot longer to do. No idea how long since my paint time is usually an hour here and an hour there. Thank you for the compliments. The yellows on his banner pole are quite flat... didn't really notice how much so until I took a photo of the mini.

Thanks for the feedback one and all, please keep it coming!

pez :zombie:

Beautiful job on the Ork. Your color choices look really natural, and the painting is fabulous. I could never pull that off in just 8 hours.

Neither could I! The ork took a lot longer to do. No idea how long since my paint time is usually an hour here and an hour there.

Oops! Got the two confused, I guess. Still, very well done all around.

Fantastic work! In particular I really like the work on the ork horns, the red gems on the right shoulder of the knight, and the red cloth on the knight. Both bases are really something to be proud of. You should certainly be proud of your NMM at this point - especially on the knight. Great pics too, thanks for sharing!

i hate to say it, but these minis look like they were painted by two different artists...

the ork is stellar, but the knight just doesn't do it for me...

the knight's armour doesn't look like metal...

good nmm is brought to life by the strong contrasts of reflection and shadow...

there is none of that on his armour...

the ork, on the other hand, would not look out of place as an entry at the French or Spanish Golden demons...

well done, and the time taken to get things right definitely shows...

keep up the good work...

cheers

jah

Hey Jah, thanks for the feedback... and compliment on the ork.

I feel the same way about the two models looking very different. Very different approaches taken to get to the two results. So, no worries in the comment.

I understand the theory behind NMM, but I'm just not able to get those shine results and contrast i need, despite going from black to white in the shadows and highlights. Smoother and tighter on the blends. Ah someday.

Thanks again for the feedback.

Pez :zombie: