The color yellow

ThornDJL7

Ok, so the other day I tried painting a robe bright yellow, and when I went to do my wash I mixed black with it, and it turned lime green. How do I get a shadowed yellow without buying more paint. BTW I have the starter liquitex paints for now. Reaper is out of my budget in the short term, but definitely on my wish list.

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Responding to your comment from the Reaper General boards - It's not always a newbie mistake. Part of it is you'll have to know your paints.

A couple of years ago I got to take a class at GenCon with Vaitalla, the person who mixes the paints for Reaper.

She explained that sometimes you get weird effects because of what colors and what chemicals are used in the paints. I don't remember the specific example, but funky stuff can occur. I would never have figured that out on my own.

I just thought it was really cool to learn some of the science behind the paints.

Colors can also do funky things at such scale. I can't remember where I saw it, but someone has this fantastic background that's this beautiful brown stone...and it's painted with something like purple, green, and something else, no brown at all. All about tricking the eye.

You might want to google around a bit for some color theory, too. Basic guidelines about what colors work with others help a lot. I painted myself a basic color wheel to remind myself every now and then what might be a good idea.

With that kit, I doubt that you *have* to buy more paint. Some painters, who "get" color, only have a dozen or so colors, and they can mix everything from there. I am not good with color, so I pay for Anne to mix the colors for me (i.e. I buy MSP with the handy-dandy triads). ::D:

I plan on investing in the MSP series as my budget permits. Though liquitex gives me plenty of cheap paint to work with to try new things and experiment with. I've spent probably $150 - $200 on miniatures and supplies in December alone to jump start my painting hobby. Though I suspect that my costs will drop to $50 or less as I continue to expand my collection.

I would advise investing in a color wheel over at Hobby Lobby/ Michaels. There is a paint mixing chart on one side. The yellow plus black mix does come up green, in fact it is regulation Olive Drab. The general beginners rule of thumb is red, orange, yellow, is shadowed with brown, and blue, indigo and violet are shadowed with black. Green is a special case and can be shaded with either. As you gain more techniques and skill you will want to experiment with other colors, but we'll start with the basics for now. :lol:

I know that may sound strange, but one of the best ways to shadow yellow is to mix a deep purple with your yellow paint. This gives you a nice brown color that is great for shadows on yellow.

Using the complementary colors to mix shadows works with other colors also. Purple is the complementary color to yellow.

Not sure what complementary colors are get a color wheel and learn how it works. Or search the web for color wheel theory.

I would paint in the shadow and not try to do a wash. It best to blend it in using thin paint and many layers.

Reaper Pro paint Goldenrod Yellow (19016) makes a great base coat for yellow as it covers well. After the base coat you use your lighter yellows for highlights. If you need darker shadow then use the purple/yellow mix.

Yellow is a hard color to paint, but this should make painting yellow a little easier.

Hope this helps!