I use brake fluid for my pewter models. Will brake fluid ruin resin? I painted up my entire fleet for Firestorm Armada but now I am thinking I would like a different color scheme. I could just spray primer over the current paint job, but I think that Primer + Paint + Primer + Paint would be a bit too much.

On hand I also have Pine Sol, if that would do the trick without killing the resin.

• Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Yeah, that much build up would obscure all the sculpt details. Better to strip them first.

I've never used brake fluid, but my guess would be don't try it. Resin is likely going to be melted and eaten by anything caustic like brake fluid or acetone.

Pine Sol should be pretty safe. You will have to let them soak for quite a while though, so be patient. I've noticed (in my own experience) that adding a little water to the straight mix gives better stripping results. Maybe 5:1 Pine Sol to water. I'm not sure why it works better, but it does.

Jen

Patience shouldn't be too much of an issue, I just pulled an old Timberwold mechwarrior miniature out of my soaking cup after, oh, I don't know, a month maybe?

Of course, I'm not actively playing Mechwarrior so there was no real reason to be quick about that job...

Here's another question, while I'm at it:

The resin models are mounted on acrylic posts/bases... will they be damaged by pine sol? Do I need to rig some sort of contraption to keep

Do you mean something like clear acrylic "flying bases"? I'm not sure what the pine sol would do to them... They might make them cloudy. I would say try it with ONE and see how it comes out.

Hopefully someone who is more experienced with flying bases will chime in with better info.

Good Luck!

Jen

Westley's Bleache White is what I like using to strip paint off resin. Thou only overnight & no more or I'll turn it into a blob

Don't use Castrol Super Clean or Super Clean as it's called now. Great product for stripping paint but it'll cloud up clear resin. Had some resin windshields on a model turn a nice shade of purple after soaking in the stuff.