Interested in Warlord, got a few questions...

I know that the thread has taken the direction of rules changes but I have a related thought. The Warlord system lets you use every model all the time. I've heard much discontent from the GW players that models are no longer 'legal' when rules change. I'm not sure if this is true but in that case Warlord has the distinct advantage of cost over time. Once you purchase a model you can use it for as long as you're playing the game, either as the intended model or as a proxy.

Discuss.

I personally feel that a revamped core rulebook every 5 years is a perfect balance. That is what I enjoy in the games I play.

Sounds good to me, especially since all of the factions will be updated along with the core rules, and will be ready to play when a new edition ships.

I personally feel that a revamped core rulebook every 5 years is a perfect balance. That is what I enjoy in the games I play.

Sounds good to me, especially since all of the factions will be updated along with the core rules, and will be ready to play when a new edition ships.

What makes you say that? I doubt all the models from 5 years of publishing will be updated and playtested and crammed into a single book. It certainly wasn't the case going from 1st to 2nd edition warlord.

What makes you say that? I doubt all the models from 5 years of publishing will be updated and playtested and crammed into a single book. It certainly wasn't the case going from 1st to 2nd edition warlord.

My bad. I should've been a bit clearer. The core 10 will probably in new core set. Even if next edition of Savage North is the following year, it's still better than a lot of other companies. But talk of the release of the next iteration of the rules is inconsequential at this point. I'm glad I have the rules and 10 army lists to choose from, and in a few short months I'll have 8 more to choose from.

To give you my take on some of your original questions that you started the thread with - Often I really dig the lower end of the game. There's been much to-do about what point size warlord is "optimized" for, and it was indeed playtested thoroughly at 1,000 points, but it plays just fine at smaller point levels. I've had a blast with 200 or 300 point lists (though those can tend to be fairly bland unless you put the right types of models in there), and I really like 500 or 750 point games. Those run you around 10 to 15 models, give or take 5 either way, and you can get a solid game finished in about 30-45 minutes of actual game play.* There are some really rough combos at 500 points, but if both players are being sporting it won't be too big of a deal.

I really like building a small, elite 500 point list. With that small of a game you've probably got a single troop and a solo, or maybe two troops. You've got to think about each model and the role it fills in the fighting company. None of this "well I've got 1,000 points so I'll throw in a big pile of X soldier type." I also find it easier to build around a story or theme at 500 points, without having a huge amount of repetition.

I also like to throw down 1500 points with a large number of models, some really massive monsters, and just grind the old grist mill. That's fun too!

*actual game play of course does not take into account referencing rules, re-filling the Cheez-its bowl, removing the cat from the play surface, etc...

Personally, I like a stable playing system. If it has been tested properly the game is balanced. My question for companies that have to update their rules constantly, why can’t you get it right, or is it the money income? I’m betting on the money. I know in Warhammer certain models have been removed from play, the Everqueen and her guard for example. Again why? If I spend all the money and time painting them should I not get to play them in tournaments? This is two reasons why I like and play Warlord. No model becomes obsolete! ONE time cost and time investment in painting. I admit that some factions work well against others, ALL factions have that flaw. Every army has its bane, that’s what makes the challenge. If you build your army to take out your bane it probably will not do well against other armies in a tournament, assuming three rounds and not all the same factions. Warlord is also a skirmish game where in most GW games you field more models so the startup cost is a lot greater. Of all the miniature games I own, Warlord is my favorite, but sometimes I want something different. So in the end it all comes down to what to YOU like and how much can you afford to pay to get into the hobby and maintaing it if needed.

This isn't terribly on topic but I"ll say it anyways.

My favorite thing about Warlord and what makes it my favorite game at the moment (even above digital entertainment like World of Warcraft) is that I'm always finding something new in it. Everytime I or someone else seems to find a list that is "unbeatable" someone beats it. The game truly rewards great players combined with great lists. Also Reaper the company. Reaper is a lot of the things I want in an idealized gaming company. They care about their customers and it shows.

As far as tabletop miniatures games goes Warlord is inexpensive, easy to pick up, comfortable at a range of points costs, and no two matches are going to play out the same (unlike some other table top games where round 2 or 3 decides the outcome of a 5 or 6 turn game). ::D:

Joshua