Any relation?

Enchantra

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

It's part of the socialization process. The school board sets standards for behavior and dress (including hair) that encourages children to conform. This is supposed to equalize the schoolroom setting, to prevent disruption caused by children looking or acting too differently.

Sadly in a lot of schools even something like the way you wear your hair or the color of your t-shirt can be used as an identifying badge for gangs, and a trigger for schoolroom violence. A 4 year old is not immune to this kind of peer pressure, especially if he has siblings in the same school system. More and more schools enforce dress codes to keep the peace in the classroom. Many have gone to uniforms, especially in urban settings.

So the answer to stopping bullying is to remove the rights and freedoms of everyone? Guess we didn't need the nazis afterall, we're implementing facism all on our own.

Actually the removal of freedoms is the answer to any non-trivial problem. If you can't think up a perfect solution in an hour, chances are that discarding random freedoms is the only thing that will solve the problem.

So the answer to stopping bullying is to remove the rights and freedoms of everyone? Guess we didn't need the nazis afterall, we're implementing facism all on our own.

Not everyone, just school children. It's been upheld in court that children on school grounds don't have the same rights or freedoms as adults in other places, like their homes or workplaces. They don't have rights to freedom of expression in school, are not exempt from search and seizure (lockers or backpacks), cannot carry weapons, and a host of other restrictions like not being able to self administer OTC or their own prescription medicines. And this is not new, it's been this way the past 20-30 years, at least.

and I do agree with you, at least partially (apart from the context of target shooting, I don't think there's a reason to allow students to bear arms in school for instance), but the rules don't seem to be applied equally to everyone. I assume, perhaps erroneously, that in this case different rules apply to female students. Are female students with long hair also required to braid it? If the girls are also expected to follow the same rules then I withdraw my objection (although I still think the rule is silly and needlessly restrictive).

Restricting boys to short hair (it's not allowed to go past the ears) has nothing to do with gangs and everything to do with a variation of hyper conservative gender stereotypes that I honestly thought had been outdated since the time of the Beatles.

Edited by vejlin

Another thing to consider is that even within hyper-restrictive codes of dress, appearance, etc. groups will find anything to be an identifying badge of honor. Look at military organizations, we have extensive codes of dress and appearance but yet we still find ways to differentiate ourselves from "the rest" of the organization. If I were in a school with uniforms I'd probably end up finding some other way to different...like all the other different people.

• Super Administrators
If I were in a school with uniforms I'd probably end up finding some other way to different...like all the other different people.

You're unique. Just like everybody else.

I love that one.