Sign in to follow this  
neorage

Starting Miniatures

I have found Warlord on the web, and as this seems to be the skirmish/limited force fantasy game I have been looking for, I will now place an order for the rule book. Since I can't purchase Reaper stuff in Sweden, I have to order the game from abroad. At the same time I am planing to order a few figures for painting trials for Elves and Overlords (the 2 factions I am most intrested in) before even reading the rule book that is.

Can anyone recommend a few models to start with? Something which both looks cool and is generic enough so that I hopefully can use them as soon as I have read the book and starts building my first two armies.

/Johan

Firstly let me suggest that you buy your models from stores within the EU, that way you don't get a nasty surprise when your order is taxed heavily upon entering Sweden. I know of several stores in Denmark and Germany that sell Warlord models, though sadly you have to shop around for a bit since noone seems to have all the models. Another option would be special ordering stuff through your local games store (I don't know if you have one). If you need help finding online stores within the EU don't hesitate to ask.

Concerning what models to buy that depends greatly on personal preferences. Since you're starting out I'd recommend trying to find some of the old discontinued starter boxes for Overlords or Elves since these contain models that you can definitely use in your armies and they're great value for the money. I play Overlords a lot and find that the basic Overlord Warrior is great value for the points.

Where in sweden do you live? If it happens to be Malmö then we might be able to arrange a demo battle. I'm on reaper's demo team and I live in Copenhagen Denmark.

EDIT: www.whitedragon.dk is a danish store that a nice selection of Overlord models including one of the old Overlords starter set in stock. They also have the second edition rules.

Edited by vejlin

Firstly let me suggest that you buy your models from stores within the EU, that way you don't get a nasty surprise when your order is taxed heavily upon entering Sweden. I know of several stores in Denmark and Germany that sell Warlord models, though sadly you have to shop around for a bit since noone seems to have all the models. Another option would be special ordering stuff through your local games store (I don't know if you have one). If you need help finding online stores within the EU don't hesitate to ask.

Concerning what models to buy that depends greatly on personal preferences. Since you're starting out I'd recommend trying to find some of the old discontinued starter boxes for Overlords or Elves since these contain models that you can definitely use in your armies and they're great value for the money. I play Overlords a lot and find that the basic Overlord Warrior is great value for the points.

Where in sweden do you live? If it happens to be Malmö then we might be able to arrange a demo battle. I'm on reaper's demo team and I live in Copenhagen Denmark.

EDIT: www.whitedragon.dk is a danish store that a nice selection of Overlord models including one of the old Overlords starter set in stock. They also have the second edition rules.

Thanks for the advice! I have experienced this tax myself, and have already been in contact with a Danish company to keep this within the EU. I did notice that the selction was somewhat limited, and it is good to have your input on this aswell. I will check out White Dragon also.

I live in Stockholm, so I visit Denmark maximum once per year. In fact I go to Glostrup on occation releated to work, so I will keep the demo offering in mind.

If it ever becomes relevant just shoot me a private message and I'll see if I can arrange something.

EDIT: The question of how to get various reaper products within the EU pops up rather frequently, so please share the name of whomever you found in Denmark that carries reaper products. It may help others in a similar situation.

Edited by vejlin

I have found Warlord on the web, and as this seems to be the skirmish/limited force fantasy game I have been looking for, I will now place an order for the rule book. Since I can't purchase Reaper stuff in Sweden, I have to order the game from abroad. At the same time I am planing to order a few figures for painting trials for Elves and Overlords (the 2 factions I am most intrested in) before even reading the rule book that is.

Can anyone recommend a few models to start with? Something which both looks cool and is generic enough so that I hopefully can use them as soon as I have read the book and starts building my first two armies.

/Johan

I own a small game store in Gothenburg, Sweden, where we have played some Warlord the last couple of months. Unfortunately the Warlord Rulebook is out of stock at the moment, so I cannot help you with that. When you've got the rulebook and your first models and feel like getting some more, feel free to e-mail me at [email protected] and I can see what I can do for you. I order from Reaper about once a month, but the shipping times are quite long, so it may take a month from when I order until I get the stuff (my last order was placed last week, so my next Reaper order will problably be sent somewhere in the middle of February)

As for recommended models, I'm probably not the right person to answer, but I'll do that anyway... For elves, you'll probably want at least some archers in your army. Most UK vendors still carries the unit 3-packs, which I find more useful than the 8-10 packs (you'll probably not want 8 archers anyway), as Minifigs, Reaper's British partner, still makes those packs. So my suggestion would be to order a 14113 Vale Archers (3) from the UK (I can recommend Spirit Games). You'll probably want some crossbowmen for the Overlords as well, so 14174 Overlord Crossbowmen (3) might be a good choice.

//Henrik, Goblin Games

As for recommended models, I'm probably not the right person to answer, but I'll do that anyway... For elves, you'll probably want at least some archers in your army. Most UK vendors still carries the unit 3-packs, which I find more useful than the 8-10 packs (you'll probably not want 8 archers anyway), as Minifigs, Reaper's British partner, still makes those packs.

Yes, you'll want archers, but I'm not sure I'd agree with the not wanting 8+ of them. Variations of the following list have proved to be devastatingly effective:

Elves - 1000 points

Troop 1

Larnach the Grey

Caerwynn

Lysette

Vale Archer x 8

Hunting Cat x 2

Troop 2

Selwyn w/Arrows of Seeking

Peruhain, Elven Monk

Vale Archer x 8

Hunting Cat x 2

Of course, you can certainly still buy your archers 3 at a time if it is more within your budget to do so. Ultimately, find what works for you. :)

~v

As for recommended models, I'm probably not the right person to answer, but I'll do that anyway... For elves, you'll probably want at least some archers in your army. Most UK vendors still carries the unit 3-packs, which I find more useful than the 8-10 packs (you'll probably not want 8 archers anyway), as Minifigs, Reaper's British partner, still makes those packs.

Yes, you'll want archers, but I'm not sure I'd agree with the not wanting 8+ of them. Variations of the following list have proved to be devastatingly effective:

Elves - 1000 points

Troop 1

Larnach the Grey

Caerwynn

Lysette

Vale Archer x 8

Hunting Cat x 2

Troop 2

Selwyn w/Arrows of Seeking

Peruhain, Elven Monk

Vale Archer x 8

Hunting Cat x 2

Of course, you can certainly still buy your archers 3 at a time if it is more within your budget to do so. Ultimately, find what works for you. :)

~v

Facing a fast army you WILL have issues with this list. Your elites will need to be protected from being based and Vale Archers aren't very good at that job. You will need a blocking force, warriors or swords men will work. I find with Elves, a mixed force works best. Once you get a rule book play a few games using proxies to see what works for your style of play. That way it could save you money by not buying too much of one thing and also finding out you need more of something else.

Well, all lists have some form of weakness. So, yes this list would probably have some issues with fast HEAVY cavalry. I would say this list actually would fair pretty decent against fast light cavalry. Just dont start deployed at the front of your deployment zone. Start in the back. Spread out and Focus your shooting to take out a few enemies rather than trying to injure a lot of enemies. Force what is left of the opponent to attack you one archer at a time (that spread out thing). Meanwhile the rest of your archers continue to focus on a few and take them out.

I don't know much about pointy eared elves (other than they look good on the end of a sword), but the Overlords offer a very wide variety of ways to go about bringing defeat to your enemies. One of my current favorite lists is this :

Overlords - 1000 points

Troop 1

Marquise Zora d'Arengo

Balthon, Priest of Khardullis

Ranthe, Evangelist of Khardullis

Moraia, Warbride

Overlord Crossbowman x 6

Bondslave Survivor x 8

Troop 2

Vincente, Chevalier

Hooves of the Nightmare

Moraia, Warbride

Daughter of the Whip x 3

Bondslave Survivor x 5

Troop 3

Onyx Golem

Troop 4

Luck Stone

Basically you obliterate with xbows anything you can from behind a screen of bondlsave survivors and use your casters to wreak all manner of havoc across the field. With a flying trampler you can get in deep and crush the back line relatively swiftly while the Daughters and BS survivors make rapid strikes against lighter infantry.

Joshua

Thanks everybody for the advice!

In the end I did order from White Dragon DK (everything working out perfectly - I can recommended this store). I got my rule book, and since the figures available was limited on all sites, I had to go with an Overlord Starter (Askryot, Balthon and 8 Overlord Warriors) and separate blisters Danithal + 9 Vale Swordsmen. Having read the rules, I am quite happy with the figures as well. I first thought the Vale Swordsmen would be too weak, but my guess now is that with Swift Attack, they actual can be quite good value per point.

A few of my observations are:

- Figures are somewhat taller and more correctly proportional compared to my previous experiences (Guess what I am comparing with ;-) +++

- The game seems just as fast playing and streamlined as I was hoping. +++

- High spread of characteristics without a lot of dies rolling (using D10) +++

- Somewhat awkward separating which models have been wound so far in this combat from those with damage since previous rounds -

As soon as I have painted this order, I will start planing and order figures for two complete armies. I will the check with Goblin Games SE, if I can place an order in their store.

I also watch Reaper Miniature TV, which seems to be running episodes with good timing compared to my own efforts.