Sign in to follow this  
cookjimjr

New to all of this!

Hello,

My name is Jim Cook. I have never been a part of a forum before, so I am kind of winging this. :unsure:

Anyway, I just finished my first serious miniature piece and thought I would submit it for opinions. People I know that are not familiar with miniature painting, seem to think it looks good, but I figured that the people on the Reaper forum would know more and be able to give me some constructive criticism. I hope the photos are good enough for everyone. I have a real old digital (1.4 mega pixels).

The first 3 images are of the above mentioned piece (Reaper, Anubis Guard). The next 2 are of a Ral Partha piece that I thought was just OK, and I sold it on eBay.

post-6227-1264207151_thumb.jpg

post-6227-1264207188_thumb.jpg

post-6227-1264207212_thumb.jpg

post-6227-1264207497_thumb.jpg

post-6227-1264207530.jpg

I have been painting for fun or for gaming since 1984, but have only entered a few contests. Those were long before some of the newer techniques like NMM were developed. I am still learning these newer techniques, but thought I should start getting some feedback and maybe some advice.

I'll answer any questions you may have as they come up.

Have a great evening.

cookjimjr

• Like 1

Welcome to the show, Jim.

I see you've done some homework before setting to it. I see some good brush control. Highlighting and shading look good. excellent base work. Even a solid attempt at jeweling and woodgrain on the shield.

Aside from simple practice, the only thing I could really throw out there would be to try a black wash over Anubis' chainmail, to help define the links a bit.

Hope to see more.

Agree with above.

You have an excellent grasp on many fundamentals and a good eye for color choice.

Washing and darklining are skills I'm still working on, but they really make a huge impact. See pretty much everything painted by Derek Schubert in the Inspiration Gallery

No offense to any of the other guys/gals, he is just my unofficial hero :)

Welcome to the show, Jim.

I see you've done some homework before setting to it. I see some good brush control. Highlighting and shading look good. excellent base work. Even a solid attempt at jeweling and woodgrain on the shield.

Aside from simple practice, the only thing I could really throw out there would be to try a black wash over Anubis' chainmail, to help define the links a bit.

Hope to see more.

Thank you for the input. I agree. I will go over the chain mail with another wash. I think I got a little carried away with the highlighting of the mail which took away from the wash.

I also agree that practice is the key. I have been working at getting a more realistic look on the miniatures for about 5 months and Anubis was the first piece I felt comfortable enough with to put on the sight. The barbarian had some blending issues with the skin so I was not extremely happy with him, but for gaming he was OK.

Agree with above.

You have an excellent grasp on many fundamentals and a good eye for color choice.

Washing and darklining are skills I'm still working on, but they really make a huge impact. See pretty much everything painted by Derek Schubert in the Inspiration Gallery

No offense to any of the other guys/gals, he is just my unofficial hero :)

Thank you for the feedback. I agree Schubert's miniatures are fantastic. Also, have you seen any of Angela Imrie's work. You can check out some of her stuff at http://www.blackmoor.ca/index.htm. After seeing her stuff, I decided to work at my skills more and stop painting just to paint.

I also, agree that my blending skills need work. That is an area where I am lacking, along with NMM. Maybe my next project will be better in that area. ::):

Your transitions are a bit sharp from your mid to highlight colors. Otherwise they look good ::):

Thank for the feedback. My blending from shaded areas to the highlights does need some more practice.

I am trying to dump the old school techniques we used to use in the 80's where we used a black darkend wash for shading and a white lightened dry brush for highlighting. It kind of left everything looking stark and grainy. The paints now a days are much smoother, which is allowing me to start to work on the blending. ::):

Welcome, you are doing some nice work. Cannot really make more suggestions than what has already been made. You are right the paint has came a long way since the 80’s.