Sign in to follow this  
Deeman

Warlord base size

I didn't care much for the first edition of Warlord rules, but bought the cool figs anyway. The second edition rules look much more my speed, but I've based many of the 25mm guys on 20mm bases. Will this be a problem when playing the game?

I think it could become a pain to always be trying to remember that "per the rules" your bases are 5mm larger on each side, but I see no reason why if you're playing friendly games you'd need to re-base your models. The big thing to remember is how many models you can get touching a single base, and never exceed that. It'd really only become an issue with standard sized models piling onto a giant sized base, I think.

So long as you and your opponent are fine with it, go ahead. Bringing the army to a big convention? Then I can see some re-basing in your future :)

By the way, welcome to the game!

That would add 2.5mm per side not 5mm per side.

In my opinion, yes it would make a big difference if you are playing against some one with 25mm bases to your 20mm. He can get fewer bases in contact with yours and you can get more in contact with him. The highest number of 25mm bases in contact with a single 20mm base is 4, that would be two bases overlapping (half and half) on the front and one base on each flank and no base in contact with the rear. As opposed to 6 20mm bases able to make contact with a single 25mm base (I think you could actually get that up to 8 in contact)

The simpliest solution would be to get some metal 25mm squares and blue tack your 20mm bases down on that so that you have the correct frontage.

That would add 2.5mm per side not 5mm per side.

In my opinion, yes it would make a big difference if you are playing against some one with 25mm bases to your 20mm. He can get fewer bases in contact with yours and you can get more in contact with him. The highest number of 25mm bases in contact with a single 20mm base is 4, that would be two bases overlapping (half and half) on the front and one base on each flank and no base in contact with the rear. As opposed to 6 20mm bases able to make contact with a single 25mm base (I think you could actually get that up to 8 in contact)

Hmmm. Is there something in the rules limiting how many enemies can attack a single model? Like 4 regular size models surrounding and flush up against a single regular size model.

No, he's correct, the bases are 5mm longer on *each face*. However, surprisingly, 20's gain little advantage in terms of the number of them that can base a 25 - with corner-to-corner basing now being legit in WL2, the maximum number of 25's v. 25's is actually 8, so 20's have no advantage there. The point about how many 25's can base 20's stands, and 20's gain a bigger advantage over 40's (12 can base a single 40, vs. 8 25's).

Bottom line, for friendly play it won't matter. An easy solution tho is to grab a pack of poster tack and some 25's, and just tack all those 20's on to 25's instead. When you are done, pull them off. Problem solved. ::):

EDIT: No, Deeman, there is nothing that limits how many models can attack a single model. If you can establish valid base contact, you can attack.

~v

Edited by Shakandara

Even with corner to corner contact you can't get more than 4 25mm bases in contact with a 20mm base there will always be a 5mm gap somewhere around the 20mm that you can't fit a model into. However, with corner to corner contact you can get 8 20mm bases in contact with a 25mm base.

The point about how many 25's can base 20's stands

I'm pretty sure that I agreed with that part, Kris. :;):

However, my point was that you can also base a single 25mm base with 8 25mm based minis, so 20's gain no advantage there.

There is certainly an advantage to being on a base smaller than what you are supposed to be, but under some circumstances, the advantage is not as great as you might imagine. Also, I can get six 25mms into base with one 20: I'll let you figure out how. :;):

~v

You can game with me. I use round bases on some. :)

The Reaper Game Engine is capable of handling something like this. I wouldn't sweat it too hard.

For my figures that are not on 'regulation' size bases I just cut out some 1" squares from black (spray painted) cardboard. Dot of glue and that solved the problem very cheaply.

I have seen magnets used to swap from one size to another. He used the magnet strip pack from Walmart for less then $1.

As for playing a friendly game, it should be no big deal. My son and I have used figures from other games with the wrong base size to proxy for models we didnt have. It standard practice for us. ANY game is about having fun and enjoyment, so it should be no big deal. As for a tournaments, though, I would get the right size bases.

Thanks for the replies guys. I don't think it will be a problem as I'm not a tournament kind of player and if it gets started around here I'll have to do it. :)

@ Shakandara

6 models 25mm bases onto a single 20mm base model, as follows:

--"front" side of the 20mm base gets two 25mm models, each with 10mm touching and 15mm hanging off each side. - 2 models

--"back" side of the 20mm base gets the same treatment. - 2 models

--"left and right" sides each get a 25mm base turned diagonally and eased in, such that the corner touches but the rest of the mini's base can fit between the 20mmx15mm slot formed between the target 20mm model and the overhanging 15mm from "front" and "back" attackers. 1 and 1 model for two more, six total.

Shizam.