Sign in to follow this  
Kang

Big Bad Bug

Not really sure yet & have been putting off deciding until the prep work is all done... It's going to represent a Shadow Spider in my D&D game. Specifically, she's a creature from Dungeon Magazine's Age of Worms Adventure Path.

A little background on her role in the adventure I'm curently running - please don't open this if you are or will be a player in that campaign:

She's going to be Flyctacher from Wolfgang Baur's A Gathering of Winds adventure, for the benefit of anyone reading this who's played/read/run it. If you haven't, basically, while the PC's explore a newly uncovered long-lost tomb of a Wind Duke general looking for their old patron Allustan of Diamond Lake who was chased into the cairn by a black dragon seeking revenge on the party for meddling in her affairs and those of her allies, they are occasionaly harried by this creature, who attempts to abduct a cohort or familiar etc. who she holds for ransom until the party brings her the head of an undead creature from the caves below the tomb who has stolen an item she considers her property. IMC she already abducted the cleric's wizard cohort. She returned him in last night's session for a large ransom so that he could help them accomplish this mission, and promises to return the ransom once they bring her the creature's head. I hope I can get her painted up before they have to meet her again...

I wasn't crazy about the artwork for the Shadow Spider in the 3e MM2 (sort of a pale green - didn't exactly scream "shadows" at me), so I won't be basing it on that. Probably it will have a lot of black on it, what with the whole shadow thing. I had been considering painting the bands around its abdomen in alternating black and red, but beyond that I haven't really decided, and even that isn't something I'm completely committed to. I may borrow some ideas from pictures of tarantulas, but so far I haven't really found any that jump out at me.

I would definitely appreciate any suggestions for colours to use. Thanks for asking!

Kang

I see what you mean about the bright green not invoking the shadow imagery. As far as color scheme, cool colors would more readily impart shadowy imagery to the minds eye. A quick google search led me to this sight : My link

Its a Tarantula website with plenty of pics.

Thanks for the link! Not much accomplished on this over the weekend other than completing repairs to the broken leg and touching up the primer - wasn't feeling very well so I just kind of played it lazy. Much better now though, so maybe tonight I'll actually paint a bit...

Kang