Fvr speedmaster tournament

Tiarnan

I was reading the JOR again, and it just occurred to me that the FVR Speedmaster Tournament would be a great event to run in the evening at Origins.  Something that could be run as a yearly competition.  It could be done after the Warmaster and it would have a much lighter feel to it.

I'm thinking a 4x8 table with an oval course and a variety of terrain.  Each player gets 500 points to build their race vehicle and driver.  The goal is to be the first to survive 4 laps.  Since each person only has one base, you could have a lot of players all at once.

I think this would be a lot of fun, so I thought I'd toss the idea out there.  :D

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I see you working here...

Essentially, each player gets 500 points to build one tricked out CAV.

Then, you have a 4'x8' table with a long oval on it with a staggered start.

Each player gets one card.  Draw that card, the player get's to activate his CAV.  Activation as normal.

Survive 4 laps first and win.

Did I get that right?

I think that'd be really fun as well... Especially if you were to go full design rules and have players bring in their race-quality conversions.

Sounds like you got the idea.  I was also thinking that you could allow units other than cavs if they wanted.  You get 500 points to trick out your unit.

I like the idea of buying extra cards, but each unit should only activate once per turn.

The fiction for the Puma in JOR makes this event sound like the CAV equivalent of illegal street racing.

Now that I think about it, we may want to limit superiority CAVs, or at least their guns.  A dictator would not have to win if it just shot up all the pumas out there.

we used to do something like this in Battletech, It can be allot of fun.

And ya you really want to limit it to Light CAV's

Actually guys I just had a brilliant thought, I've got a Con the weekend of Thanksgiving here in Dallas, I can try this out there and see how it goes.  Send me your suggestions.

Mad Pat

Dallas Texas

Ok, so we have -

500 points to build one light CAV and crew.

An oval, or figure 8 course on a 4x8 table.

Table will have all terrain types represented, including road, buildings, trees, water, etc.

CAV's will need to be properly converted as per normal rules.

First unit to complete 4 laps wins.

This sounds pretty good.  Mad Pat, please let us know how it goes this weekend if you do.

I think 500 points is a bit high, I think we should cut that in half or at least 300

500 will by you a lower end Rhino

I won't be running this till around thanksgiving though I might try to run a beta sometime soon i'll let everyone know.

Mad Pat

Well, depending on what you want to be entered, and how prolific you want shooting the enemy to be and also what, if any, rules you add for inertia and turning etc at speed, 500 may be required.

Afterall, someone may want to use something like the Hawk or Challenger.... perhaps a Scorpion for it's ability to ignore rough terrain. Alternatively, you may use the Puma or Sultan because they're incredibly fast. It's all a matter of how you play it and your personal slant on what unit is the best.

And of course you may have someone who wants to use a Nomad, but they'd need the extra points to upgrade the hell outta it.

I did some math at work today and 500 points is waaay too much.  You can but every upgrade there is for a Puma with that.  300 points is a lot better.  

I have also reconsidered the idea of limiting this to only light CAVs.  I like the idea of being able to field anything that you can afford.  

This definately needs playtest.  Any players in WV want to try?