Fvr speedmaster tournament

Tiarnan

I gave this a shot tonight because it sounded like fun. 300 points is not bad but it has to be limited to light CAV's or lower end superiority CAV's. 300 points will buy an Assasin, and a Mantis with the missle stripped off of it. Terrain has to be heavy and varying in speed modifications ( ie a marsh, a mud bog, ice slicks, heavy woods, rough terrian, ect ). To keep CAV's moving, limitations such as at least half speed or the fans will get bored and you could lose your sponsorship (one player suggested a shot from the stands, kind like getting fruit pitched at you for telling a bad joke on stage). Multiple track possiblities ( a short cut that has more terrain to deal with and a fast route that might be longer but doesn't have any terrain to impead movement on the same curve). Oval tracks need an "onion center" ( flower shaped with lots of cover ) or elevated so they are seperate entities. One direction of movement for the track.

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

It came to me in a flash!  While listing to Nascar drivers woof about restrictor plates!

We artificially limit the power output of the Breeders which gives them less available power, which limits them to a shoot move or less shoot more move type restrictions.

This allows us to concentrate on driving while still having some weapons available!.

Breeder Reactor Restrictor Plates!

Patrick "Mad Pat" Haughton

Dallas, Texas

Here's basically what I am doing:

300 pts, one CAV (no more, no less - I had a player ask already).  Thus, no infantry or vehicles.

Maximum # of tracks - 6

Any upgrade is allowed - Wizzo, Pilot, armor, move, repair, etc, but not extra initiative cards.

Weapons upgrades and downgrades are allowed.

Failing to move at least 1/2 your current move, or moving in the wrong direction for 1 turn, draws fire from the stands: TL +3, weapons +4

Actually standing still, or going in the wrong direction for more than one turn, draws more than a warning shot: TL + 3, +8 guns.  (I want them running, not standing and shooting).

Staggered starts, with a 1 turn moratorium on fire.

The track will be hourglass shaped, roughly.  The racers can take the short way, which has tougher terrain, or the long way, which is smoother.

First to finish 4 laps, or last CAV standing, wins.

Any thoughts?

PS - I'll post pics after the event.

"Actually standing still, or going in the wrong direction for more than one turn, draws more than a warning shot: TL + 3, +8 guns.  (I want them running, not standing and shooting)."

Since this is a race I would black flag a unit standing still.  That unit would either lose it's next turn completely or at the lest lose it's ablity to attack the next turn

"Actually standing still, or going in the wrong direction for more than one turn, draws more than a warning shot: TL + 3, +8 guns.  (I want them running, not standing and shooting)."

Since this is a race I would black flag a unit standing still.  That unit would either lose it's next turn completely or at the lest lose it's ablity to attack the next turn

Instead of penalinzing them that way you could really motivate them by removing one of their damage tracks. Consider it something like an automatic hit

ya i like the time or lap penilties more then the drawing fire.  Though it is a amusing concept with the fans firing on the racers.

The problem with either a time or lap penalties is that, since the race is not "timed" per se, then a time penalty is kinda meaningless.  I suppose I could simulate it by removing their card from the deck for the next turn, but then they could still move the wrong way every other turn.

I figure, "shooting" the racers makes it risky, but possible, if it means the difference between victory or defeat.  After all, the shot could miss or something. . .

To discourage even the ability to shoot you could offer free +2mm and +1 arm for every secondary weapon removed, and +3mm +2 arm for every primary weapon removed.  It might make the race a split between shooters and racers, but the obvious advantage of being a racer should discourage pure shooters at least.  Keep all size CAVs (and vehicles) allowable though, if they really must shoot let them get in their Rhino and sit at the crossroads.  It won't do much to a striped down Puma flying by at 38mm with a +5 armor.  

Just a suggestion of course.

This is part of the idea behind restricting the points to only 300 (maybe less) You use the points from removing weapons to purchase speed armor and pilot/WSO upgrades.

I like the idea of the arena having turrets, and the crowd (meaning any spectators physically at the event) gets their own card in the initiative deck and they would vote on who gets shot based on who is being the least entertaining.

There's nothing like a little audience participation.

I didn't get the chance to run it last week (some fairly major car trouble), so it is on again for this week.  With any luck, I will have 6 or 8 players, so it should be fun.

I am allowing CAV to be missing weapons - after all, it is a race, so if you want to drop the IFM and DFM from a Dictator to try it out, you could.