Gamma World!

sethohman

• Reaper User

I still have fond memories of playing GW 2e in middle school with my buddy Bob.

My first GW character was a mutated rabbit with antlers and wings, paralysis gas generation and radiation eyes. The PCs were dispatched from the small agrarian community of Grover to Pitz Burke to contact physicians to cure a plague afflicting the villagers. Of course we quickly forgot our task once we started exploring the crumbling ruins of the 24th C metropolis. We eventually ran afoul of Lils (pixies!) and were conscripted into clearing out a Dark Emperor (Skexis!! from Dark Crystal) lair. That's where my character found his Inertia Armor and Fusion Rifle. We also recovered barrels and barrels of domars which were plastic pre-apocalypse monetary units. What was really fun was operational vending machines were all over Pitz Burke and these machines were more like Fast CAD/CAM devices so all's you had to do was make your selection, put in the domars, and the device would use onboard chemicals and raw materials to fabricate weapons, armor, food, you name it. We even had one make parts for a robot ally we recovered from a rooftop. Of course reading pre-apocalypse writing was difficult and led to more than a few highly entertaining exchanges between players and the vending machine AI. Some of the vending machines were still capable of moving on their own power so if you wanted to score some raw materials or domars you just filled the machine's hopper or exhausted it's supplies and then followed it back to it's resupply.

Good times! I'm going to have to create a GW conversion using the FATE 3.0/Starblazers Adventures rules.

>>ReaperWolf

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I played Metamorphosis Alpha because it was the fist Post Apoc game out there. Actually MA was set on a failed space ship much like Pandorum. (Hmm) I will skip the new Gamma World as it seems to focus on the parts of Gamma World I liked least. That is the goofiness and the randomness. Buying random cards for a RPG? Not gonna happen. The modules are also rehashed.

> * Almost entirely random character generation,

> * At the start of every day you draw a random mutation card that gives you your mutation for that day.

> * Gamma World will have 120 booster cards available in randomized packs

Yuck! I was actually kind of jazzed when I read that Gamma World was returning, until I saw al this "randdom" crap. Sorry Wizards, no sale here. :(

• Reaper User

Good observation. Post Apoc, no matter what system you use, seems to languish after a stretch, while Fantasy is able to continue almost indefinitely.

Yeah, it's a tough genre to get right although surprisingly Aftermath from FGU (Fantasy Games Unlimited) is not only still around (mostly .pdf products) but it's actually got new material sneaking out.

Gamma World from White Wolf failed to catch non due to a number of reasons, from my perspective it was a pretty clumsy implementation. Also, the psionics rules were a train-wreck. Conceptually the metagame minigame of developing a community was a great idea which is appealing but overall the whole proliferation of nannite tech was out of place particularly when you consider there was a character class specifically geared towards controlling and creating nannites.

Darwin's World, previously d20 then d20 Modern, is soon to be powered by Savage Worlds. I hear good things.

One oddball option I've only read about was Barbarians of the Apocalypse, which is based upon the Barbarians of Lemuria rpg. Again, I hear good things and the simplicity of the game engine is very appealing, here's a linky:

http://rpg.drivethrustuff.com/product_info.php?products_id=64387&filters=540_0_0_0_0&manufacturers_id=2846

RPG.net has reviews of both Lemuria and Apocalypse.

At some point Pinnacle Entertainment Group may re-release Hell On Earth powered by Savage World. Dunno when but they've already produced a Post Apocalypse toolkit for SW.

Rumor has it Timeline will produce a new edition of Morrow Project. Don't ask me when, they're a small company with meager resources.

The genre is a tough balance between gonzo sci-fantasy with mutants and high-tech warmachines combined with survival horror. My own games tended to lean more in the direction of gonzo mutant mayhem as opposed to realistic "The Road" or Morrow Project simulations.

>>ReaperWolf

I would cheerfully murder anyone I didn't know particularly well to get minis of the Gallus Gallus chicken villains from "Famine in Far-Go." I am inclined to agree with the group, though, in that I don't want a "collectible RPG experience." Forget this "random cards" nonsense.

• Reaper User

I would cheerfully murder anyone I didn't know particularly well to get minis of the Gallus Gallus chicken villains from "Famine in Far-Go."

I must admit to being thrilled when WotC announced the first two adventures were Famine in FarGo and Cleansing Wars of Garrik Blackhands.

>>ReaperWolf

This will be a wait and see choice for me. I am not impressed enough with 4th edition D&D to want to try out the new Gamma World. The problem is the money they want you to spend. The game mechanics are OK but Alternity is fine as well. More expansions and support for a game I have already bought would be better than a whole new set of core books and required support material. I really dislike that the Dragon and Dungeon magazines are only online and by subscription, Mongoose and others have a free omline magazine. That being said I do enjoy the post apocalyptic setting. Running it as a campaign is a little different because usually there wasn't the same power increase for GW characters through time as there is for D&D. Your character typically started out a lot tougher though. So, if I hear that people enjoy it alot I will probably give it a try.

Here's a something for older players, remember Expedition to the Barrier Peaks?

• Reaper User

Here's a something for older players, remember Expedition to the Barrier Peaks?

Indeed! A classic old-school high-level romp with a mindflayer wielding a blaster pistol. Whoopie!

Incidentally, it's rumored many of the alien/abberations like mindflayers and intellect devourers of Greyhawk arrived on the downed starship.

I'm running a D&D Mystara 3.X campaign set in Karameikos. The players have gotten themselves mixed up in the affairs of the Black Eagle Barony and only recently learned of a massive excavation occurring in Baron Von Hendrik's backyard. Apparently something fell from the heavens ages ago and it's buried somewhere underground in the Black Eagle Barony. It's a piece of the starship that crashed into Blackmoor and is now the City of the Gods, per the adventure. It's actually a piece of the ship's warp/hyperspace engine and a source of arcane energy so naturally Bargle the Infamous is keen to acquire it.

>>ReaperWolf

Bah. Too random. What if you don't want to play as goo spitting cockroach?

Wish someone would make a pnp game based on the Fallout crpg series. That has alot of potential...

Will have to wait and see on this though. If it's well written with innovative mechanics might be worth a look.

Bah. Too random. What if you don't want to play as goo spitting cockroach?

Wish someone would make a pnp game based on the Fallout crpg series. That has alot of potential...

Will have to wait and see on this though. If it's well written with innovative mechanics might be worth a look.

I thought there already had been a Fallout RPG.

Quick look in google turned up several possibilities.