Sign in to follow this  
Jawas-ate-my-jedi

New to ReaperCon. Events? Things to do?

Hello Everyone,

This will be my 1st year to attend ReaperCon. I'm curious what events are usually held and other things to do?

Just curious is there anything for the non-gamer wife to do there at ReaperCon?

Also I would love to meet and game with my friends and others from D20Radio... such as those from Order 66, Minis Mayham, City of Doors, and Radio Free Hamlet. I would like to hear from D20radio fans that are planning to attend.

I'm also looking forward to making new friends from all over.

What does ReaperCon Cost for admission? gaming?

Thank you in advance.

There's a constant paint and take area set up, classes run all day (they are for an additional fee and cover topics from basic painting to sculpting and more)

There will also be non-miniature based games held throughout the convention, as well as Sonic catering food and drinks.

There's not a lot for the non-gamer or non-painter at Reapercon. Sorry. It is a small event and most people will either be shopping the warehouse for minis, playing mini games, painting, or in a sculpting or painting class.

However the DFW metroplex is huge and should provide entertainment of any kind desired.

If your wife would like to try her hand at painting there is a place where she can sit with free minis and paints and very nice people will help her. There are also a good number of females who come every year so she won't feel like she is the only woman in the place.

Admission was something like $35 last year and included a special limited edition figure. I don't recall if that also included the t-shirt or if the cost for that was higher. Classes will be extra.

I'll agree that there isn't a lot of things for a non-gamer, non-painter to do since the convention has a heavy focus on that aspect of the hobby. Paint-and-take has hooked many a non-painter so be warned.

Past experience has shown that things to do include far too much shopping, drooling over and buying waaaay too much in the Boneyard, uber-fun dungeon crawl, various and sundry games running in the Asylum, paint-and-take, painting area in the breakroom, the painting competition, CAV and Warlord tournaments, classes in all kinds of different things (wait until they start being posted), meeting wunnerful people, the Sunday auction (which uses ReaperBucks earned by doing stuff at the convention), and probably lots of other things that have been lost in a sleep-deprived haze.

Honestly if you want to enjoy a long weekend dedicated to gaming and focused on miniatures then this is THE place to be. I know that after I went to my first artist con my painting skills increased dramatically and I was completely hooked.

Speaking of classes - All Terrain Monkey's "How Not To Suck" is always a recommended starting class. It's just what the title says and is still one of the most helpful classes I've taken. John - don't get full of yourself or I'll have to do something completely within character to take you down. :poke:

Edited by Rastl_Deeperdown

As a once non-gamer...actually, anti-gamer might better describe, I had a blast at RCon 2yrs ago. If your non-gamer wife is a talker just plop her down at a table full of chatters and one of us crazies will keep her entertained and maybe even show her a thing or two about painting. Everyone is super friendly and you never know what kind of a relationship may blossom from striking up a random conversation. I took a couple beginner classes but I also passed the time with painting in the paint and take area and also, just wandering the facility, staring at the contest minis and talking to random people. Oh and shenanigans!

Don't take too many classes, it'll burn you out.

Don't leave the con and drink til dawn, it'll make you miss classes/tourneys.

It's a blast. But particularly if you are going to do all 4 days you gotta pace yourself.

I'm hoping to get into another SWSE game (assuming d20 is gonna represent again...and will let me play.)

I played in Chris' game last year and within 2 months I was running a Legacy game for 6 players back home.

There's a ren faire that's not too long of a drive south that she could bum around on Saturday I guess.

Thank you everyone for all the desired information. I have shown my wife you responses and she did say she likes to paint. She has done some console/computer RPGs.

I should have said this earlier my wife and I will also be with our 2 daughters (gamer daughter 12yr and a very active 1 yr old). So I hope a cute baby is welcome.

DSCF2655-1.jpg

BlueWeasel- I have been told directly from GM Chris ,TG, GM Dave and GM Brev are planning to attend. I look forward to meeting them in person and gaming too.

Rastl- I have always thought you painted awesomely. I need to take some of those painting courses and I'm willing to learn.

I look forward to seeing the big Hirst Arts Dungeons too.

In the end, ReaperCon is held at Reaper HQ itself. So, it is a manufactoring, warehouse, and storefront all rolled into one. It is not a Convention center or hotel, so its not all plush and whatnot, just a non-descript swaure building hidden behind a radio tower. But, having said that, what it is, is a warm friendly atmosphere of friends getting together to paint, game, and do. You park in the Reaper parking lot, not down the street or elsewhere. I tend to think of it as what would happen if I just happened to invite about 400 people over to my house for a weekend, but with more space to hold them. In fact the HQ itself is not in downtown but rather it is in the burbs across the street from a high school.

Some people will paint and gab, some people will be taking classes related to getting better with their painting, some people will be gaming both in the pick up games and the tournaments. Some people will be playing board games, and others will go RPG. They bring in Sonic to make it easier for people to stay and enjoy everything, but you also have the option of driving about 5 minutes down the road to a handful of eatery options.

But, again, in the end this is not a GanCon or similar with thousands of people. I am sure Reaper would love for it to grow that big eventually.

As for the young kids... I admit that one is gonna get a bit tricky I think. I would suggest that you bring a portable crib / play pen. There will be space near the painting areas to put it. If you dont your wife will never get any painting or gabbing in as she will go nuts running after kids who see all the shiny metal and pretty colors of paint bottles.

I would suggest that you bring a portable crib / play pen. There will be space near the painting areas to put it.

Unfortunately, this is not true. Space will be very limited, and there won't be enough of it for portable cribs.

Pth..you can still paint with a baby. Last year Matt Ragan had baby Vee with him the whole time he was painting up his Ork war-bus. She seemed pretty content to watch. (A future ork-ette in the making there)

It's a pretty kid-friendly environment for the most part. RCon-goers generally don't have the sorts of bad language or habits you'd want to keep your little ones away from... well... except for Bryan of course. He's a bit.... odd.... but still mostly harmless. :lol:

I'm hoping to get into another SWSE game (assuming d20 is gonna represent again...and will let me play.)

I'll let you play the Wookie this time :)

I've found ReaperCon to be very family-friendly. The first year I took my daughter, she was just under one year old. My husband wandered around the Con with her while I took classes and it worked out perfectly. Last year was a little tougher, because she didn't want to be held much, and we had to bail before the painting competition medals were handed out because she had a meltdown the night before. I imagine this year to be tougher still, as she's almost three and we now have a 4-month-old, too. Leaving the 3-year-old with Nanna is one option we're considering!

Be sure to check out Reaper at CafePress. There's not much that's cuter than a toddler in a Reaper shirt:

post-2886-12656619895719.jpg

It's a pretty kid-friendly environment for the most part.

It may be friendly but it is not what I would consider "child safe". It is a manufacturing facility after all. While the machines will be off there is still plenty that a toddler or small child can hurt himself with/on.

It's a pretty kid-friendly environment for the most part. RCon-goers generally don't have the sorts of bad language or habits you'd want to keep your little ones away from... well... except for Bryan of course. He's a bit.... odd.... but still mostly harmless. :lol:

I have it on good authority that Bryan is, in fact, a baby stealer! We're going to be testing the waters of con-going with a kid. Should be interesting! and yes...she'll have her own Reaper garb :)