Sign in to follow this  
Deadeye_Jake

Rush Attack as a "fight action"

Is the attack generated from Rush Attack SA a fight action? Becomes important for things like Shock SA which requires you to have performed a Charge and a fight action....

Rush Attack

"To use this SA, a model must use both a Move Action and a Charge Action (in that order). If at the end of the Charge Action the model is in B2B with an enemy model, this model makes a single melee attack against any one enemy model it is in B2B with. The defending model may not make more than one Defensive Strike against each Rush Attack model that attacked it with the Rush Attack. All regular melee rules and SAs still apply. This attack is resolved along with any other Fight Actions performed by other models during this Activation, as per usual combat rules."

Shock

"When a model with this SA Charges an enemy model and then conducts a Fight Action in the same Activation, the defending model must first pass a Discipline Check to get its Defensive Strike(s). A failed Discipline Check means there can be no Defensive Strike(s) (even if attacked by another model in the same Activation). If multiple models with the Shock SA charge and conduct melee attacks against the same model, the defending model must pass a Discipline Check for each model with the Shock SA that charged and attacked. Failing a single check means the defending model cannot conduct Defensive Strikes. Shock works additionally with other SAs (like Fearsome), potentially causing defending models to have to make multiple separate Discipline Checks, one for each effect."

I'd say no, you cannot use both Shock and Rush Attack in the same activation. I've bolded the required actions for both SA's above, and you'd need three actions in order to pull off both SA's.

Now... what if, say, the spell Burst of Speed was cast on a model with Rush Attack and Shock (of which there are 5). The model gets a Movement action as a free action... then it can Charge (satisfying Rush Attacks requirements) and then Fight (satisfying Shock's requirements). Does that model then get to Rush, Shock, and then get it's one free Rush attack on top of its regular Fight attacks - and still limit the opponent to a single defensive strike aimed back at it?

I'd disagree, jd, based on the last two sentences of the Rush Attack SA.

"All regular melee rules and SAs still apply. This attack is resolved along with any other Fight Actions performed by other models during this Activation, as per usual combat rules."

The Rush Attack is resolved as part of the Fight actions performed by that troop, and all other regular melee rules and SAs still apply (except where the previous sentences of the Rush Attack SA have noted, primarily in that it is only a single attack, and that only a single defensive strike can be made in return). Further, since the Rush Attack is resolved as part of the other Fight actions in a given activation, a model with it and Burst of Speed could not, in fact, Move, Charge (Rush Attack), and perform a Fight action, as the model would then be taking a 2nd Fight action.

~v

I'd say just because it is resolved at the same time as the rest of the Fight Action, it doesn't make it a fight action. The two actions the model is performing is the charge and move. The SA allows for an attack, but it doesn't allow for a Fight Action.

just my two cents.

I agree that the bit about getting a rush attack plus taking a fight action and getting all of those attacks and denying the enemy more than a single attack back is pretty much cheese ball, I was half way goofing off with that.

But I stand by Shock not happening in the OP's case, as Shock requires a Fight action, not an attack. I read "All regular melee rules and SAs still apply. This attack is resolved along with any other Fight Actions performed by other models during this Activation, as per usual combat rules." as meaning that you still need b2b, etc etc, SA's like Smite, Mighty, etc, which have no requirements other than "attack" still operate.

The 5 models with both Shock and Mighty are the Broodmaster, Lord Vandrian, and the Crusader heavy cavalry - Danel, Damon, and the Lion's Lancers. I bet that Crusader players in particular will be interesting to see how this is ruled.

Also note that Rush Attack is a melee combat SA; it gets listed specifically in the combat box, rather than as a general SA. It is not a movement SA. It gives you the ability to participate in a Fight action (albeit a limited way) when you would normally otherwise be unable to. The same would be true of a model with Swift Attack and Shock (of which there is 1, btw).

~v

Is the attack generated from Rush Attack SA a fight action? Becomes important for things like Shock SA which requires you to have performed a Charge and a fight action....

For purposes of SAs like Shock, the answer is Yes. The sentence "All regular melee rules and SAs still apply." in the Rush Attack SA is meant to mean that things like Shock still work. I completely see what JD is saying. I will add a line to the clarifications page.

Bah! Hard to be awesome all the time. But I am completely in favor of the rules as interpreted by Gus & Crew. Works out the best way without being super complicated, and flows best with the mechanics of the game as a whole.