Advice on a good white primer?

Lionheart12

The primer that I'm using now is creating bubbles on my figures after I spray them, unlike the middlestone primer that I've got. But since I've heard so many good things about white primer, I've been wanting to switch. Problem is...well, yeah, the bubbles. So can anyone recommend me any primers that won't do that to me? It's quite frustrating.

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

By far the best primer is Tamiya FIne Surface Primer. It costs a lot per can, but it coats so well you need a lot less. It gives an amazingly smooth surface and fills much better than any other primer I have used. It is so much better than anything else i have used, the first time I used it I could not believe how great it was! During winters I use reapers brush on primer as it gets to cold to spray prime outside and it is too fumey to do inside. Hope that helps a bit...

I use reaper brush on through an air brush. If you can save up for an airbrush, this is the way to go. Not to mention how great it is for basecoating and terrain. I found a brush and a compressor on Amazon for less than $100 USD. It's not going to give me great precision for doing detail work but when I was previously using army painter, colored, spray primer @ $14 USD, I figured it would pay itself off in a year.

I fought with spray primers for months; all with bad results. I switched to RMS brush on white primer and have been much happier with the results.

On a similar note, having grown sick of waiting for days on end for non-humid conditions every time I wanted to spray-prime, and having used up the last of my can of (expensive but very good quality) Tamiya white Fine Surface Primer, and having accidentally left my couple of other (cheap and serviceable) hardware store brands of spray primer out in the woodshed in freezing conditions for a couple of months, aaaannnd having discovered that the FLGS had finally restocked their RMS white Brush-on Primer, I recently made the switch as well. I must say that I too am very happy with how it's worked out so far.

Kang