Advice on a good white primer?

Lionheart12

I've used Krylon and duplicolor, so I will throw a vote in for either. I also bought GW chaos black (I know this is about white primer.) couldn't tell a difference other than it was black instead of white and costs a lot more. Recently I bought P3 spray white primer and guess what? Can't tell a difference from it and the Krylon and Duplicolor. So, there's my 4 cents...I also have primed in all sorts of weather and the key is to keep on shaking the can. I usually am shaking from 10-15 minutes before my first spray.

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Okay, first of all, thanks for all the responses. It was really helpful locating something I want to try out. Second, I think that I've been using the duplicolor surfacer. Third, I cannot find Duplicolor Sandable White Primer online, for some reason.

Thanks again for the good reception. :)

Schmuck's errr Schuck's/O'Reily here in the west is where I pick up the white Dupi. Seems like that is the only place to pick up the white around here for some reason. Try looking at the various auto-part stores in your area.

I've used many primers over the years, but RMS brush on gives me smoother coverage AND better adhesion than anything I've tried so far (my Tamiya hasn't been used yet, but Krylon, Duplicolor, Armory sprays have, as well as IWM brush-on, which also works well).

Considering drying time, weather, etc., it's at least as fact and more convenient. Better for the environment, too.

Anyone have extra, I'm almost out :)

I'm a big fan of grey Liquitex gesso as a "I can't wait seven months for it to be less humid" brush-on primer; I presume the white is similarly good stuff.

FWIW, don't try Krylon spray gesso... I like spray primer, and gesso for my canvases, so this seemed like a match made in heaven, but it's too thick for minis.

Duplicolor Sandable white auto primer all the way!

Later,

Laszlo

http://hot-lead.org

I started with the Reaper Brush-On Primer and it seems to be working, but I probably am not knowledgeable enough to know if it wasn't working.

In terms of applying it, do you thin it out? Do you apply more than one coat?

Thanks!

Yes, you'll want to thin the brush-on primer and (most likely) paint it on in a few coats, letting each coat dry completely before adding the next. Here is another thread where thinning ratios and other aspects of brush-on priming are discussed. I found it quite helpful when I had similar questions.

Kang