02743: Tara the Silent

Ferox

This is my PC figure in a Level 21 D&D4E game (which I'm playing in again, erm, tomorrow -- the sealer's drying as I type). She's a Rogue sniper with an enchanted crossbow and an affinity for killing things from well off the map. I figured I'd try to avoid the obvious black-leather-cat-suit paint job (not that there's anything wrong with that) and about half succeeded.

Pics!

post-5715-12666545317166.jpgpost-5715-12666545398835.jpgpost-5715-12666545478224.jpg

post-5715-12666545566586.jpgpost-5715-12666545648652.jpgpost-5715-12666545738009.jpg

The base is supposed to be some sort of generic rock. It ended up looking a bit less than natural, but since our characters are all well on our way to demigodhood and we're slashing and burning through the outer planes, that's not such a bad thing. I've been working on this one for a while -- you can read the WIP here.

C&C welcome. The blending on the black fabric is a bit chalky -- I think I should've gone for larger, more subdued highlights to show the diffuse cloth texture, rather than try to bring it up to white. Also, the wood grain "freehand" on the crossbow sucks, but it sucks a lot less than my previous attempts at painted-on wood grain. Otherwise, I'm reasonably happy with her.

• Like 1

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Very nice piece, I agree with everyone above about the face and expression. Nicely Done! I actually think the base is great. It works well with her and her pose.

Wood grain is a tough thing to show on an area that is smooth. I sometimes will use an X-acto blade to give me some shallow channels to run a dark wash through to get that effect.

Jim

Thanks for the compliments, everyone! I actually painted Tara's eyes within minutes of Fiara's, so it remains to be seen how repeatable my success is... but I'll be pleased to show this one off at the FLGS. ::):

Wood grain is a tough thing to show on an area that is smooth. I sometimes will use an X-acto blade to give me some shallow channels to run a dark wash through to get that effect.

*facepalm*

That's a great idea. Thanks!

Very nice piece, I agree with everyone above about the face and expression. Nicely Done! I actually think the base is great. It works well with her and her pose.

Jim

I never once considered that either....lol.