03324: Stern Kestrelmann, Paladin Hero

Mercius

Here is the beginning of this mini, spent about an hour and a half on the face hair and basecoating the tabard....I was watching the olympics so the time is a little skewed. The highlights on the face look a lot better in person than they do on this pic, they look rather harsh here, imo, but irl they blend pretty well. The right eyebrow looks odd in the pic, I was trying to make him have one eyebrow lifted up a bit as if he was being inquisitive about the situation ahead of him, not sure if I achieved that. Also, ignore the wet wash on the cloak, i cleaned that up afterwards and it looks fine now that it is dry.

sternday1.png

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I was a little worried about going too bright on the facial highlights...I tend to lean more toward the 'Eavy metal style than the smoother more airbrushed style, but I am trying to learn how to do as many different style a possible. I REALLY want to do NMM on this guy, but we will see how it turns out when I get to it...I have been struggling with that style....I have always worked with metallics and getting the same highlights and shading with NMM has been hard for me, but it is a style I really want to learn. I was also wondering if maybe I should add a few glazes on the face also to help smooth it out a little more, it doesn't look as harsh in person though. Anyway, thanks for the kind words and great advice, I will post new pics tonight after I get some more work done.

I only spent about 45 min working tonight, but I got the blue tabard and cloak shaded and highlighted and for my third attempt ever at highlighting I am pretty darn happy with the result. It could be a lot smoother but not too bad overall. These pics show the highlights and shading on the face better too, they are not as harsh looking as the last pics. Hope you all like it!

sternday2front.png

sternday2back.png

Mercius the cloak is great. It really pops out at you. this piece is looking great. Can't wait to see more completed.

Jim

Thanks bud, I put down the base coat for the NMM tonight, but that was it, if I get a little more progress tommorow night I will post it.

The blue was done with a base coat of GW regal blue, I used a 4 drops of paint to 1 drop of water dillution. It took 2 coats for the base coat. After the base coat was dry I washed it with GW Badab black wash and then again with GW Asurmen blue wash. After the washes dried I added a drop of GW enchanted blue to the base coat along with another drop of water and added the first highlight. second highlight was with a 2:2 regal/enchanted blue mix, then I went with a 3:1 mix and finally a layer of pure enchanted blue. For the very edges of the cloth I mixed in one drop ofGW ice blue and then left it there instead of going further, because I was happy with it.

Here is my work over the last two nights. Basically all I have done is added the deepest shade colors for the silver and gold NMM that I am attempting and the basecoat for the red jewel on the tabard pin. I also added a mix of brown and black wash over the chainmail and the grey areas to line it and add some shading. Tommorow I plan to start working on the highlighting for the silver NMM...I am nervous!!!

sternday3front.png

sternday3back.png