The Pacific

Chrome

• Replies 18
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Can't help you with the no TV part, but I just saw last night that our cable provider is giving out HBO & Cinamax for only $10/month for 6 months. They usually run a promotion like this whenever HBO has a big new series coming out. We used to do this everytime a new season of Sopranos came out, then canceled once the series and offer expired. :poke:

I have been waiting for this for a couple of years now, since the project was first announced. The books that this series is based on are excellent (With the Old Breed and Helmet For My Pillow) and I'm excited to see how well they translate to screen. Of course, it's about the Marine Corps, so I'm more than happy to see some of our legends be brought to life on screen, Chesty and Gunny Basilone for example. :)

So what did everyone think? I have to admit that I was a bit disappointed with it, based on 2 specific reasons.

First - as soon as I heard that Part 1 was only an hour long, I knew that it wasn't going to do much to connect me to characters. There's only so much that you can do in an hour, and HBO has taught me well that when they give a show 60 minutes, that means only about 50 minutes of actual TV show, so that they can run commercials afterward. Band of Brothers first episode was what? 80-90 minutes long, maybe longer, and almost nothing but character development.

The second thing was the colors. BoB used the same muted tones as Saving Private Ryan, and while I enjoyed it in BoB, I really didn't like it last night. I think that the jungle is just too bright and needs to be shown in full color. Especially in those scenes where the ocean is in the background. There were several times when the Pacific looked more like Antarctica than an ocean.

However once the show was done, if you hung around to watch the 5 minute-ish "what comes next" preview (told ya HBO loves to have filler in between their shows) it looked like we're going to get much closer to the characters in the near future. It also looked like the washed out colors were going away as well, as the clips that they showed were a lot more vibrant and contrasting. I'm going to keep my fingers crossed that that is the case.

I really liked it. I missed the first 10 min of it on TV and it wasn't on demand yet so i watched the last episode of band of brothers, which i have been re-watching over the last few weeks, and after it was over i checked again and it was on demand so that worked out pretty well. :)

Chrome, did you watch it in HDTV? I think that makes a difference.

Connection to the characters is something, but then when I re-watch BoB, I always skip "Currahee."

I was personally excited to see the first ep (and it looks like the 2nd ep too) set in Guadalcanal. I may have a family connection there, so it was more interesting for me.

Attention to detail: Don't know if everyone caught this, but the Marines were using Springfield M-1903 bolt-action rifles rather than Garand M1 semi-autos. This is accurate as the Marines had yet to receive Garands (the Army had priority). Also while I was suspicious of the LVT-1 wreck at Alligator creek, I did some research and apparently some vehicles were used for logistical support. One minor point of dissapointment: after the Battle of Savo Island, some of the surviving Naval personel became "unwilling" reinforcements to the marine force on the island after the Navy ran for it; it would have been a nice touch to see some dejected sailors sitting on the beach when the marines realized their naval support had high-tailed.

Damon.

I knew about the Springfields, but I kept asking myself why were they still using M1917? Some REMF is sending those guys off to fight on islands where they're going to have to do amphibious landings and move thru jungles and swamps, and they make them carry that ungainly beast? Good Lord!

Chrome, did you watch it in HDTV? I think that makes a difference.

Nope. We're still living in the 20th Century at my house. :lol:

Of course now that I'm to the point where I'd get one, 3D TVs are right around the corner, so I think I'm just going to save my money and wait.

I knew about the Springfields, but I kept asking myself why were they still using M1917? Some REMF is sending those guys off to fight on islands where they're going to have to do amphibious landings and move thru jungles and swamps, and they make them carry that ungainly beast? Good Lord!

M1917 was a standard issue machine gun, issued IIRC in Battalion weapons companies (at least in the Army -- Marines might be slightly different). I would raise an eyebrow at using them in the front line (M1917 was the sustained fire version of the M1919, set up behind the lines to provide fire support to your forward elements, or used almost like mini-artillery pieces to control beaten zones on the reverse slopes of hills and the like), since with the tripod and T&E device they are best used as a fixed, pre-sighted weapon. But I don't know enough about Guadalcanal beyond a few personal accounts (On the Canal is a good personal memoir of the campaign); I do know some 37mm anti-tank guns were used in some engagements firing canister, and were very effective (may have been at Alligator creek, come to think of it!).

Damon.

I found a post by some guy who said that it wasn't unusual to find a '17 crew cross-attached to a rifle squad, so maybe it wasn't so odd after all. Dammit, where's Moezilla to answer my marine questions when I need him? He's read both of the books the series is (however loosely) based on, so he could probably give us an answer.