Sign in to follow this  
nytflyr

1st vs. 2nd

I have a friend who Im introducing to Warlord, and in the process I got a really good deal on an old set of elves for him (10 warriors, a cleric, a familier & a Warlord). With the lot I also got a 1st edition rules book. Would it be good for teaching him the basics, or should I just toss it?

If he's at all serious about playing, I'd just skip it. If you start with 1st, he'll just have to unlearn some things for 2nd; might as well use the clean slate he's got to dive straight into Warlod 2.

~v

The 1st edition rulebook does have "alternate" fluff which is a fun read. The fluff from the second rulebook follows the format and gives the same basic information, but it's from a somewhat different perspective. The maps are cool and the art is cool too, and there's a painting section in the 1st edition rulebook. So I wouldn't "toss it." I'd just disregard the rule portions ::):

It's two totally different games. I play both versions and like both, I personally prefer the older edition (RC2008). The only thing is that now all the data cards to the old game are gone, unless you already have them. But as others said the book has a cool painting guide, it also has campaign stuff and fluff.