Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
Vil-hatarn

Shadows From the Past

Recommended Posts

Razevan: Giving you a stern glance, your father says, "Sleeping in, Razevan? It may be a festival day, but that doesn't mean there isn't work to be done. You're nearly a man, and the family needs you to act like one. That's how this ranch was built, and why it thrives today--hard work, not sleeping until the sun is well above the horizon." He lets the scolding sink in for a moment; looking at you, he suddenly bursts out laughing, "I would think by now you could tell when your cousins are pulling your leg! Oh, the look on your face...we're in no hurry this morning, though I'm sure you'll be disappointed to hear that you still have chores. Here, help me load up this wagon, the shop in town will need extra stock today." He heads into the storehouse and points out a variety of wares which need to be loaded. As you load the wagon, he continues, "I was speaking with one of the Ukzarani Elders last night--they had a small favor to ask. You may remember their adopted youth, Logan--the abandoned orcish child. You probably saw him last three or four years past. They've had some...trouble...in the past few towns. You know what most people think of Varisians; and with the orcish heritage as well...I don't foresee any trouble, but just to be safe, I'd like you to keep an eye on the boy today."

Once you finish loading the wagon, your father climbs up to drive it into town. "You'll be expected to help out at the store at some point this afternoon, of course--but otherwise the day is yours. I'm sure you'll find some way to amuse yourself--don't get into too much trouble.

 

Carmine: As you approach the house, you notice a man dressed in an elaborate red and black robe approaching from the other direction. He turns down the front path at the same time as you. The house itself is larger than the others in the town, and uniquely has a short tower at one corner, but is otherwise of generally regular appearance. He knocks on the door, and then turns to face you. Almost silently, he says, "You...have the feel of the old country about you." Then, louder, "Hello! I don't believe we've met. I am Vibia Ambusta, a wizard of the Korvosan Academae."

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

"Well, was it trouble they brought on themself or was it trouble because of the ignorant hicks from the other towns?"

 

Razevan's father looked down with disapproval at his son. "Calling them ignorant hicks is showing the same prejudice they use to judge us. I expect better sense from you boy."

 

Razevan hangs his head, momentarily, in shame.

 

"I imagine with an orc boy, trouble would just make up a reason to find them, and I can't imagine you'd let them come here if they were the type to bring on their own trouble. And you're right Da, I shouldn't judge everyone because of a few ignorant hicks." Razevan smirks shamelessly.

 

"So okay, I'll keep an eye on this boy, Logan. Where will I find him? What's he like? And don't worry, I won't call him orc boy, nor will I let any trouble befall us, unless it's the fun kind at the festival." Razevan grins.

 

 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Logan

 

Seeing the pastries, Logan grabs a platter and meanders through the hall, now munching on his breakfast. Looking around, he tries to find Viorelo amongst the remaining Varisians, but he must have missed the lad while he was talking to Elder.

 

Instead, Logan finds a few men from the caravan and sits amongst them.

 

"Heya Lads!" he says as he sits down with a rather loud thump, "How's the mornin' treatin' ya?"

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Esmenas climbed to her feet, trying not to look surprised. It had been a good long while since anyone had gone out of their way to make her feel welcome, at least without ulterior motive. Ordinarily she'd be suspicious, but she didn't think this woman meant her any harm. After brushing herself off, she said, "Hello, I'm Carsiela Getate", introducing herself with the pseudonym she had been using at the inn.

 

"I'm a bit of an independent trader; I travel around, buying local pieces of interest, and selling them where I can. For example-" She pulled out of her pocket a pendant reminiscent of a Shoanti tattoo- "I picked this up in an exchange with the Shriikirri-Quah, from a woman named Desda. She told me the symbol brings good luck to foreigners". This was actually true; Esmenas preferred to start every con with a bit of truth. It gave her credibility, and this was the woman she most needed it with. If the head of the town council trusted her, she doubted others would question her.

 

She saw Pyra's face light up when she saw the trinket. Let her come to you, Esmenas thought. No need to seem overeager.

 

"I'm hoping to sell some pieces like this tonight. Do you know what kinds of people will be at the festival, so I know what types of pieces to bring?"

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Logan: "You planning on inflicting those bagpipes of yours on the unsuspecting locals tonight, Logan?" one of the men jests, to laughter all around. The conversation soon drifts to the nature of the festival. You pick up the following:

"If I remember rightly, this town is known for collecting pearls from the lake--they sell most of them directly to this merchant who comes through every summer. A lot of money changing hands--the performers should do well tonight."

"Big boat-building industry here too, especially for the size of the town. Owner's one of the only council members not related to the founders."

"Don't be getting into any trouble here either--the Zandors are fine hosts, but they have no tolerance for anything that gives Varisians a bad name--they'll turn you right over to the authorities if you come here looking for shelter."

"No one knows who the father of the Soldar siblings is--their mother is one of the founders of the town; hear she's still around thanks to her elven blood."

"I heard the father was Talathel, that old elvish bard. They adventured together, back in their youth, you know."

[Knowledge local check d20+5=23] You recall a story you once heard featuring a Talathel. He was one of a group of adventurers involved in an infamous incident in one of the southeastern towns. The story goes that they were adventuring in ruins near the town, which were connected to sewers beneath the town; they were fighting an otyugh, when it burst through a sewer grate and took the battle into the streets. The authorities were not pleased...

 

Razevan: Scowling briefly at your retort about ignorant hicks, your father says, "The Ukzarani Elder said he'd be around their camp--though you might check the house first, if his appetite is anything like yours. They say he's a musician--plays some gnomish contraption."

"They'll be expecting these soon--I'd best be off. Here's a few coins to get you through the day." He tosses you a small bag, and then, in a tone which clearly indicates he doesn't expect you to, "try and use them well." [the bag contains a variety of gold and silver pieces--considered part of your starting gold]

 

Esmenas: "Well, it's certainly a good time for you to be here. Though most inhabitants of the town are simple folk, there are a few who might be interested in your wares. Let me think...there's the hedge wizard Vibia Ambusta--he's from Korvosa, has an interest in Chelaxian items. Talathel might be interested as well--he might even have spent some time among the Shoanti, though I'm not sure...he's experienced a great many things in his life. You might also try Desba Asher--she runs a general store, could be interested in anything she might be able to resell. No one else comes immediately to mind; you might have your best luck tomorrow, after the pearl profits have been distributed."

"For now, I suggest you enjoy the festival--all of our local artisans and merchants will be in the square here, and Thiera always serves a free lunch. I must go attend to my duties, but I hope your stay in our little town is enjoyable!" With this, she hustles off to greet other newcomers.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Logan

"Talathel? Heard coupla tales 'round 'ere of 'im," Logan scratched his head, recalling one of them now, "You lads ever hear about the time he fought the otyugh?"

 

Seeing the black expression on his comrades' faces, he smiled and began rummaging through his napsack.

"Well, 'twas evening in Abken, and Talathel was going out to one of the nearby ruins with some of his adventuring lads," Logan pulled out a handful of rather large stockings as he paused.

 

"The town council said their 'twas a dreadful creature nearby that was disruptin' traffic from areas around the town," Pulling on two of the stockings over his hands, he looked back to his comrades. Both of the stockings was decorated that, once over his hands, it looked curiously like a person.

 

Mimicing the mouth opening and closing on one that looked rather regal, he started speaking in a rather affluent voice, "Talathel, I hear your friends here have experiance dealing with monsters?"

 

Now going to the other puppet of an Elf with a lute strapped to his back, Talathel spoke, "Why yes, just the other month we dealt with a den of bugbears. Fierce warriors they are."

 

"I can bet they are," the first puppet spoke again, "we have this creature in the ruins outside of town that keeps harassing travelers."

 

"Have no fear," Talathel said in a rather epic voice, "We'll handle this!"

 

Logan quickly put a helmet on the council member and then continued his act.

 

"Come on lads! We have a monster to beat!" Talathel shouted back at his companion.

 

"Talathel, how are we supposed to find this monster? No one has seen it for days!"

 

"The it's probably getting hungry. We might be able to catch it when it comes out to eat."

 

"And what if it doesn't come out?"

 

"Well, we've hunted down monsters before, they generally find some place dark to hide out."

 

"Say, Talathel, that doesn't look like a sewer gate, does it?"

 

"Why yes it does! Let's go check it out!"

 

Logan began to move the puppets up to the imaginary gate and had them open it. He took the companion's stocking off and began to narrate once more, "They searched for three days and nights down there. They began to loose hope when all of the sudden:"

 

Pulling on another stocking resembling some sort of beast, Talathel jumped in surprise, "Holy Desna! Is that what I think it is?" To reinforce this thought, Logan made a growling noise and made the creature rear it's head, "its an Oytugh!"

 

Talathel then "drew" a little stick from his waist, and charged the monster, who roared back and caught the stick in its mouth. Logan continued his fight with little slashes from the Talathel, the monster trying to bite him back, and both trying to tackle the other.

 

"So Talathel and his companions fought the Oytugh bravely," Logan spoke again, "but as luck would have it, they backed the monster down to another sewer gate, and this one lead right into Abker."

 

"Alas vile creature," Talathel shouted to the beast, "We've got you cornered!" He then tried to lunge at the beast, who sidestepped and then acted like he was opening a door and walked away from the fight.

 

"But wait, where are you going?" Talathel shouted after him, "No! Not into the town!!!"

 

The puppet ran after the Oytugh, and Logan withdrew them to his sides, "Now the Oytugh managed to run into the town and began wreaking havok among the citizens. The Talathel worked with the town militia, but it no doubt caused a lot of trouble, and the town council was not pleased."

 

Logan raised his hands to show the Talathel puppet and the Noble puppet.

 

"Now Talathel," the Noble began, "when I told you to track down and kill the monster, I meant for you to track it down and kill it, not release it into my town!"

 

"Sir, I can explain," Talathel said nervously, "You see, we almost had the thing when it managed to escape and run out of our sight. We followed the tracks as best we could, but it made a B-line for the town."

 

The Noble turned to face the adventurer, "Very well, but don't let it happen again. However, the Oytugh caused a lot of damage to our precious town, so the money you've been rewarded will instead go towards the repairs."

 

The Talathel puppet hung its head, "I understand, sir."

 

"Now the damage done to Abker was fairly serious," Logan lowered the puppets and began to remove them, "to show repentance for what they had done, Talathel and his lads helped the town rebuild, and then left to continue their adventures."

 

Logan's comrades paused after he finished a minute, and then began to applaud his little show.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

"I suppose I could take a look... I haven't had a new set of clothes in a very long time."

 

"I was trained by the mystic of my tribe, so yes, you could say that."

 

Mika smiled just a little. "This is Felix. You could pet him."

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Carmine

 

Facing towards the robed man, Carmine bows. "Good morning. I am Carmine; a humble servant of Iomedae. I come from, um," he hesitates, "all around. I don't suppose you're here to help me move the statue?"

 

(sorry, Vil. The old game thread was still sitting in The Gathering, so I had no idea that this one had sprung up.)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Mika: He visibly pales at your suggestion. “I, uh…I’d rather not…I’ve a cousin down in Nybor, lost a hand to a menagerie bear, so you’ll excuse me if I’m…a little uneasy around yours.” Seeing another wagon coming up from behind you, he says, “But I hope you enjoy the festival. Maybe someone else will want to pet your bear?” As you pass through the gate, you hear him greet the wagon, “G’day, Mazeriu. Wares for the Zandor shop?”

Right past the gate, there's an intersection, with one road branching off towards the lower section of town, while the main road proceeds directly into the town square, which is bustling with preparations and early arrivals. The only immediately identifiable building from where you are is the large stone chapel.

 

Carmine: Slightly tersely, Vibia responds "I see." He goes on to elaborate, "No, I am here for...spell security." He is about to say more when the door opens. A fair-haired man stands before you; his features suggest some small amount of elvish ancestry. "Oh, Vibia, perfect timing, I just finished installing the new lock. Same place as always--go ahead and do what you need to." He then turns towards you. "Can I help you?"

 

[and no problem; it's the same thread, but I had to have an admin move it over due to some technical issues.]

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Carmine: "Hmm? Oh, you must mean that carving mother has been working on. Please, come in." The house is simply furnished; the only decoration you see as he leads you down the hall to a side room is a finely crafted longbow hanging on the wall. You enter a room at the back corner of the house; out of the open windows, you can see over the entire lower section of the town including the harbor. An aged half-elven woman seated in a simple wooden chair is sewing some garment as you enter.

"Mother, this man was sent by the chapel to move the carving. I must attend to my other duties." He departs quickly, almost before the woman has a chance to say "Thank you, Adras."

"Forgive my son's manners, festivals always create work for him and his deputies. I do not believe we have had the pleasure of meeting; I am Laessa."

"The carving is against the wall there, to your right." You see it is a rectangular block of wood, the front of which has been carved to appear as a man with a stag's head--a common representation of Erastil. While the style appears rough and simple, the detail is exquisite, showing a far greater degree of care than a first impression would give.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Carmine

 

"And I am Carmine," He sweeps a a bow towards the older woman, taking care not to crease the carpet or propel anything off of an adjacent mantle. These days, it seems like all he's been doing is introducing himself to polite strangers. "That is quite a work of art you've created. I will take the utmost care with it."

 

Crossing the room, he hefts the statue by the base and begins to make his way back towards the church, calling a quick farewell to Laessa as he departs.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Logan (and Razevan): As you finish eating, a young Varisian man you don't recognize enters the room from outdoors. He scans the room, and his eyes quickly settle on you. "Are you Logan? Come on, we need to get into town or we'll miss part of the festival!"

 

You find the festival well under way as you enter town. There appears to be some sort of stage for musical performances--currently, a trio of youths is performing a well-known song. To your left, an inn has laid out an abundant lunch for all present; around the rest of the square, residents and visitors mingle.

 

Esmenas: Most of your potential marks were involved in setup in the morning, leaving you with little to do but watch the town square slowly become more and more lively. You spot a group of children chasing each other through the crowd, shouting something about a free lunch at the Polished Diamond.

 

Mika: Having spent most of the morning enjoying the shade of a tree near the chapel and generally avoiding people, you see the festival has begun to pick up. You have thus far managed to avoid any incidents with Felix; he seems to be fairly calm given the commotion of the town. The inn appears to be serving a free lunch--it smells quite good even from across the square.

 

Carmine: You quickly make your way back to the chapel. Mother Astia appears to be elsewhere; one of the acolytes directs you to place the covered carving on the altar, where you see the old one has been removed. There appears to be nothing else to do here; after stopping a moment at the shrine to Iomedae, you return to the square. During your few minutes inside, the festival has come alive; a small band is playing on the stage and Polished Diamond seems to have begun serving food.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Carmine

 

Carmine grunts as the statue finally slides onto its plinth. It hadn't exactly been heavy, per se, but certainly awkwardly shaped and difficult to carry without accidentally groping the likeness of Erastil. The antlered man stares back impassively, showing no sign that he's aware of the trouble he caused, and Carmine murmurs a brief prayer to Iomedae before turning away and leaving the chapel.

 

Back out in the street, his stomach growls. Perhaps the pastries have already burned off. He strikes out for the Polished Diamond.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Mika figures it would probably be a good idea to get a bite to eat while in town, especially since Felix was beginning to seem hungry, and it would be good to continue to have no incidents with him.

 

 

Mika and Felix enter the inn with more than a few nervous eyes falling on Felix. Mika settles into a chair at a small table in the far corner of the room. She makes sure Felix is comfortable, and that he will stay put, before she goes to take some food.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

×
×
  • Create New...