Sign in to follow this  
Warwick

1.5K all the way!

do you both just make one roll and who ever gets the highest wins for the night?

For me 2 hours is just right, a 500 point game is to small and a 1500 is to big. I think it works the best at 1000 as designed.

The rule book suggests 1000 point games.

This is a suggestion for beginner, not as a rule.

Sinden, you mentioned that you had a few bad games at 1.5K. If you can show us the army lists used and tell us what happened in details, may be we can understand better why you prefer 1K instead of higher points.

This debate has happened before and I re-visited the issue. In the past, all my 1.5K lists were based on the use of a warlord. When you add in the types of support troops to maximize its potential, different warlords will lead a different armies, with some exception such as certain types of support troops like archers. There is still a limit to what you can choose at 1.5K. However, there is no requirment that you must have a warlord in 2.0 (different from 1.0 of course). If you exclude warlords, then 1.5K is a bit too much to field with captains and sergents.

A 1.5K game will definitely last longer than 1.0K but this is not an excuse why 1.5K isn't fun. In another company, players are required to play 2500 pt games in a tournament. This is a nightmare. I do not understand why some people will be so crazy enough to go through it.

Its not a suggestion for beginners, its a guideline for all players. The game was balanced at 1000 points. It can be different when you play bigger or smaller games. I don't want to go back into this but if you read the old posts im sure you read why. This is one of the big reasons i don't like to play at lower or higher points, and the reason official tournaments are at 1000 points.

I didn't have any bad games, I actually won 3 out of 4 i think. They were just way to long and didn't feel the same as a 1000 point game. There were to many models, it lost a lot of the tactical element for me. It was more like smashing 2 walls together. Also for me a big part of the tactics is building your list. At 1k points you have to pick and choose carfully to build a good list, at 1500 you can take some of everything.

-Sin

Its not a suggestion for beginners, its a guideline for all players. The game was balanced at 1000 points. It can be different when you play bigger or smaller games. I don't want to go back into this but if you read the old posts im sure you read why. This is one of the big reasons i don't like to play at lower or higher points, and the reason official tournaments are at 1000 points.

I didn't have any bad games, I actually won 3 out of 4 i think. They were just way to long and didn't feel the same as a 1000 point game. There were to many models, it lost a lot of the tactical element for me. It was more like smashing 2 walls together. Also for me a big part of the tactics is building your list. At 1k points you have to pick and choose carfully to build a good list, at 1500 you can take some of everything.

-Sin

I am not able to dig back your old posts. I recalled that all your reasons were based on your opinions which I could not apprepriate. Official tournaments are now set at 1000 points for a start but it can easily be changed to 1200, 1250 or up to 1500 points at any time the official wants. It is never set in stone. Although you do not like to play a higher game, at least, you should let other people to rally for a higher point game. In many other game systems, tournaments are set at different point levels. Why not with Reaper Warlord?

May be "balance" is a very important issue for you. I personally feel that, in a given game system, one or two factions should be out of balance slightly so that it allows a easier play for some players or a challenge to others. I hope you know that some players tend to lose most of the time. A bit of imbalance is a good thing. There are also others who simply like to smash the walls together or have a much longer game than you want.

The reason why I like Reaper Warlord is because it fits different tastes and you should encourage people to try different point level instead of telling them 1000 point is the only way to go.

Im sure at some point someone will have a tournament at a different point cost than 1000 points but as far as i know Reaper doesn't have any intention of having tournaments at any point cost but 1000 points. In my old posts my arguments were based on mathematical probability which is used for the costing system and not opinions. Also in my old post I said everyone should play whatever is fun for them which I still think they should. All I am saying is that the game was designed for 1000 points and that's where I personally like to play it. If you enjoy 100 poing games or 10,000 point games then go for it, but i will be playing 1000 point games.

-Sin

do you both just make one roll and who ever gets the highest wins for the night?

Not quite. It is based on the concept of TOTAL VIKING POWER!!! (kim can post a link for reference, should he wander into the thread) In essence, the qwik rez rules state that whomever has more Sigurds in their army has TOTAL VIKING POWER!!! and therefore wins. No dice rolling necessary. Also, if you have an equal number of Sigurds, both armies agree not to fight and instead go running amok together. Drink a beer. Repeat.

We play hundreds of games in a hour this way. <tongueincheek>It is the only true way to play Warlord.</tongueincheek>

~v

I've held several tournaments at different point costs over the years. I think it's important to keep the game fresh. I once had a point cost based on the date of the tournament. I can't recall the exact number, something like 1,207, but it sent people back to the basics, not knowing what the opponent is bringing or what they can bring. There are plenty of campaign styles that have battles with points all over the place, including mismatched battles (gotta love a good last stand). Now, I didn't design the game, but I'm willing to bet they had different point costs firmly in mind when they were designing it, and it shows. Warlord can handle it. They only problem with higher point games is finding enough tiny dice to mark wounds.

We had two games going simulataneously last week, and I think both games were over in about 2 hours. I don't consider that to be an overly long amount of time. We have managed to pull off 1,000 point games in 75 minutes, but we were timing it, and when the clock ended, the game over. Neither game hit the 5 turn limit, and there was still fighting left on the table. We played for 2 hours and it was pretty obvious who was going to win in both games. I was playing Greenie's Reven horde with my Horde O' Demons (a total of 23! :lol:) and at the end of the game I had a Totem of Battle and a Goatman Demon left on the table. He still had 500+ points worth of models left. Oh well. It's all good. That game was a blast. Next time my Dwarves will rip him a new one. :devil:

Wild Bill :blues:

Drink a beer. Repeat.

~v

We need to play many many games together at reaper con, although i will be drinking Makers Mark!

-Sin

I can respect that; I've had the pleasure of visiting the Marker's Mark facility twice (I have relatives in Lou-a-vull). Perhaps the cheesecake this year will be a pumpkin one with bourbon-spiked whipped cream... ::D:

~v

Actually a 1.5k game using our quick resolution rules can be played much faster than a regular game at 1k.

EDIT: I need to read all the posts before commenting, Vince already explained it.

EDIT EDIT: Oh and the concept of TOTAL VIKING POWER!!! is explained (sadly only in danish) here: http://www.viking.virkelighed.dk/

Edited by vejlin

On a more serious note I have gotten a lot of enjoyment out of games from 500 points through 1.5k points. It's definitely a different game when you deviate a lot from what WL2 was designed for. Whether the difference is good or bad is purely a matter of how your group plays and personal preference.