Sign in to follow this  
RAGUKID

What's a good rival army for Nefsokar?

I'm a big fan of the Nefsokar miniatures and need to make a rival army for my Nefsokar. If I had to choose between a faction to fight my noble "Born of the beautiful God, Sokar, commanded to Guard the Northern Garden", what is the best compliment to them? My favorite miniatures would range from crusader, dwarf, elf, and the necropolis.

So among those...which provides the most challenge for my desert denizens?

Thanks for the reply

I guess that depends on what style of Nefsokar army you are going to play; every faction has a fighting chance against every other faction. Certain factions excel at particular builds and playstyles, however, which can be more difficult to counter by factions poorly equipped to deal with it. For example, a vampire-heavy Nerco list can be brutal, but against an army of constructs or other undead, their primary ability is negated. I'd say proxy some minis for another faction, and run some test games with them. See if they perform like you'd like them to, then make a decision from there. ::):

~v

I say pick your next favorite faction.

That is an excellent suggestion and I don't mind making some cardboard pieces to fight it out. BTW: I quite understand about depending on what my play style is like will determine the next faction. That's what I like about the Nefsokar. I can go totally undead with mummies, anabis, etc. or go with a desert raiding party of herdsmen, light horse archers, etc. Or to be really brutal...go with both.

I think I will use the dwarves and see if they can hold up to an avatar...I'll post what happens. Thanks again for the great idea.

>>I guess that depends on what style of Nefsokar army you are going to play; every faction has a fighting chance against >>every other faction. Certain factions excel at particular builds and playstyles, however, which can be more difficult to >>counter by factions poorly equipped to deal with it. For example, a vampire-heavy Nerco list can be brutal, but against >>an army of constructs or other undead, their primary ability is negated. I'd say proxy some minis for another faction, >>and run some test games with them. See if they perform like you'd like them to, then make a decision from there. ::):

~v

Th

Previously , in the fluff in the old faction books , there was several incursions by Overlord troops into the southern lands for slaves .

The incursions weren't just for slaves but also for knowledge, particularly for Ashkrypt the lichlord of Craclaw. From what I recall, Ashkrypt stole knowledge from the Hakiri tombs of the Nefsokar and thus learned the secret to lichdom that had been denied him by the Necropolis of Thule.

The Dwarves are notorious for being able to root out tombs and pillage the artifacts within so they make a good choice too. Plus! The dwarf sculpts look almost as good as the overlord's do.

But all in all, the Nefsokar don't need much of an excuse to hate someone since they consider all of taltos theirs originally. ::):

Joshua

Yeah, they've done a good job of giving everybody a reason to fight everybody else. Sure the "good" factions (Dwarves, Elves, Crusaders) generally only have misunderstanding type reasons to fight, but everybody else has serious issues with each others.

"crusader, dwarf, elf, and the necropolis" is your list of "next favorite."

Crusaders - Nefsokar is definitely a divine type army - everything is by Sokar's will and all of that. Crusaders have three primary deities, none of which is Sokar, so there's the whole divine conflict thing to play out.

Dwarves - as stated above, have a knack for cracking Nefsokar tombs, which gets the Nefsokar pretty upset.

Elves - usually do not go tomb raiding themselves, BUT often will buy and sell in stolen tomb artifacts, and according to Sokar's law knowingly possessing something that was stolen is a crime. And the Nefsokar really like punishing crimes against Sokar and his law.

Necropolis - there's some delicious lore about how Thule, the seat of power for the Necropolis, was a burial city for the Nefsokar a long time ago. When the vampires took over there they pillaged many of the tombs - one of which belonged to Neb'nesew Ne'pet, currently an Everliving mummy caster warlord. He's pretty bad news, and he's especially ticked off at the Necropolis for their crimes against the dead at Thule. It's his personal mission to take down the Necropolis, and even though in the fluff he's not really succeeding at all, he certainly gets an A for effort!

Really, I think any faction other than Reptus would make great grudge match opponents to Nefsokar. Reptus only really get upset at people who intrude, and yes they're on the warpath now, but they wouldn't really single out the Nefsokar. And the Reptus really don't do anything that would upset the Nefsokar besides get in the way occasionally.