Sign in to follow this  
Gus Landt

How do you build a Dwarf Army?

Speaking of things that could go on reapergames.com, will the scenario pdfs eventually go to the helpful downloads section?

pardon the tangent.

Speaking of things that could go on reapergames.com, will the scenario pdfs eventually go to the helpful downloads section?

pardon the tangent.

Yep! They need to be tweaked based on what we've learned by watching them play out. After that, they will be posted.

There are three primary factors to building any Warlord army: meat, mobility and engagement.

I disregard attack factors because they're pretty comparable across all armies.

Meat: The ability of your army to soak up damage. This is primarily a combination of damage tracks/point cost and DV. It is important to pack as much meat into your army as you can get.

Mobility: The ability to get where you want to go. The obvious way to get that is with models that have a high MOV. A less obvious way - and more effective, I believe, is to have lots of models on the map.

Engagement: The ability to hit your opponent when & where you want, on terms that you dictate. Ranged attacks (whether weapons, or magic, or whatever) are an important factor in dictating engagement. Dominating the range game is a primary means of engagement control. Dominance of the initiative deck is another important means of dictating engagement. Expendable troops are also very useful in dictating engagement.

When I begin building a Warlord army - any Warlord army - the first thing I consider are the soldiers and leaders that I want to have as the backbone of my army. You want the most cost-effective melee combined arms and ranged attacks that you can get. Generally speaking, those come from the cheapest troops on your list - and the dwarf army is no exception.

The best soldier buys on the dwarf list are the Mancatchers and the Halberdiers. They're excellent troops for the point cost. My Mercenary scrubs wish they were this good.

The only real ranged attacker on the dwarf list is the Piercers. They're reasonably competent for the points cost. Not quite as good a buy as the Merc crossbowmen that I usually use, but not bad.

Leaders: I look first for the cheapest ones. If you want to have a high card count in the initiative deck (who doesn't?), you'll have to have a captain or a warlord - and captains are cheaper. On the dwarf list, Fulumbar Ironhammer is the clear pick for that role. Valana, Forgemaiden is a solid melee sergeant. Tohil Steadyhand is a passable shooting sergeant.

Putting all that together, here is an optimized 1000 point dwarf list that (properly played) will dominate most other lists I've seen.

Troop 1: Fulumbar Ironhammer

Armor of Courage

4 mancatchers

6 halberdiers

unit standard

Troop 2: Valana Forgemaiden

Armor of Courage

2 mancatchers

4 halberdiers

unit standard

Troop 3: Valana Forgemaiden

Armor of Courage

2 mancatchers

4 halberdiers

unit standard

Troop 4: Valana Forgemaiden

Armor of Courage

2 mancatchers

4 halberdiers

unit standard

Troop 5: Tohil Steadyhand

3 piercers

Troop 6 Tohil Steadyhand

3 piercers

Troop 7: Luckstone. Always take it. Don't argue. It pays.

Giant Slayers doctrine. Love it.

Final tally: 6 initiative cards. 40 models. 8 shooters. 81 total damage tracks. It's got meat, it controls the map, it dictates terms of engagement.

It wins.

-Lionheart.

Very good information to have. Will he be doing regular articles on the other factions as well?

I'm looking forward to different takes on all of them. Especially Necropolis and Nefsokar.

@BKBass: You DO need another army and stunties are right up your alley. :lol:

DRG

Great article Josh, I think you should do one on Reven or Overlords next, I really like the lists you come up with for those factions.

On the other hand, I also like how Richard's style of building his army list contrasted with Josh's. Josh's reason for building was more based on a theme while Richard's was obviously a bit more straight forward on more statistical foundations. Both look like they would be fun to play.

Thanks for the positive feedback! It's a strange thing creating something and then letting the world look at it and judge you know? I don't know if I'll do articles about specific factions so much as I'll attempt to highlight different aspects of Warlord and then use a faction to illustrate the point. Clearly that article had the Dwarfs as an example on my interpretation of how to assemble a balanced list. It's definitely not the only way to go about it, Lionheart's list looks like it could do some damage for sure. I'm glad some use was found in the article, or that at least it was a decent read, and hope that it gets other people's minds bubbling. ::):

Joshua

On the other hand, I also like how Richard's style of building his army list contrasted with Josh's. Josh's reason for building was more based on a theme while Richard's was obviously a bit more straight forward on more statistical foundations. Both look like they would be fun to play.

Definitely agree. I'd like to see Lionheart do army builds for the other factions as well.

DRG

We have graduated from 1,000 point games to 1,500 point games here in Tulsa. But, I have two different lists that have different play styles. I'll let you decide how to use them properly. :devil:

Army 1

King Thorgram Grimsteel + Magic Weapon + Mithril Armor

Ivar Silverfist

Durgam Deepmug + Magic Weapon

7 Shieldmaidens

5 Halberdiers + Musician + Standard Bearer

Stone Spirit

Tohil Steadyhand

4 Piercers

Musician

Griffon

Abjorn Hofkeg + Armor of Courage

6 Miners + Musician + Standard Bearer

Totals: 1,498 Points, 29 Models, 5 Troops, 6 Init Cards, 1 Spy

Army 2

Abjorn Hofkeg

Gilam, Rune Spelunker

4 Miners + Musician + Standard Bearer

Snorri Oathbreaker

Tohil Steadyhand

Kara Foehunter

4 Piercers + Musician

Annasha Tomebreaker

Durin Pathfinder

Klaus Copperthumb

4 Pathfinders + Musician + Standard Bearer

Griffon

Ursula, Bear Rider

Durthen, Boarmaster

4 Bear Riders + Musician + Standard Bearer

Earth Elemental

Luck Stone

Totals: 1,498 Points, 28 Models, 8 Troops, 8 Init Cards, 2 Spies

Enjoy!! :lol:

Wild Bill :blues:

I'm going to carve these lists out and put them in the dwarf thread. It would be a shame to lose them into the archives when this post gets bumped away. Everyone should put new lists in the dwarf thread so we always have them to use. Actually, the article's could go there that would be where I'd search for that kind of stuff.